1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Bruce Springsteen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgabriel, Dec 31, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Growing up in the 80s and 90s and not knowing anyone who was a fan I knew him by pop songs. Later on i started to hear about him in the 70s.

I really got interested when the Sopranos would play his early stuff as well as the Stallone/Deniro movie Copland.

I started watching Cold Case in syndication. They do a good job picking songs from the period of the crime. They did one following some Jersey youths in the 70s. The soundtrack was all Springsteen. It was badass

TheFreak likes this.
  2. droxford

droxford Member

Never liked a single song of his.

...(I liked Manfred Mann's version of Blinded By The Light, which was originally written and recorded by Springsteen, but hated his version).

No Worries likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm actually can't name another Springsteen song besides Born in the USA. Before my time (born in 89). Whatever I've heard casually all sounds the same to me, totally indistinguishable.

People my dad's age seem to love it. None of its for me.

4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You'll find "Secret Garden" (Jerry Maguire soundtrack) doesn't sound anything similar to "Dancing in the dark"
    "Hungry Heart" doesn't sound like "Streets of Philadelphia". His voice is his voice and his singing style is easy to mimic but the sounds aren't all similar. It's cool, his music just isn't for you but I'm a Springsteen fan and I'm pretty sure I'm not your dads age.:D

Yung-T and rhino17 like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i thought he was a one hit wonder with born in the us and a

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

greatest Springsteen song of all time

#6 Os Trigonum, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

red rag back pocket means you are into fisting or at least that is what @Jontro told me

Nook and Jontro like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Born in the USA was my favorite song of all time until I found out Bruce Springsteen is a hardcore liberal.

9. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm not a big fan of Springsteen's music. It's ok...and I can see merit in deeming it as solid American rock music.

But in the end, his Christmas song is one of the worst. Complete garbage.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

On a scale of 1 to boss.... Hes definitely a boss.

boomboom likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Springsteen has dozens of great songs. I really love the early records. Some of his recent stuff doesn’t do much for me. But, I haven’t listened to his latest release.

Everything up through “The River” is fantastic. “Born in the U.S.A.” is basically his pop album. I thought “The Rising” was a good record. I also like a lot of his quieter records.

He’s not the performer he once was, not even close, age has taken a toll. But, you have to hand it to him, he’s been making music a longtime, and is one of the all time greats.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

American rock royalty but not my favorite american rock, I like BonJovi and Aerosmith much better.

I look at him as folk/rock, kind of like a modern Dylan.

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i respect him and his music and i get why he is popular, but ive never been able to get into it. ive really tried over the years and ive listened to all his "key" albums, but its just not for me. i think his music resonates much more with east coasters and especially people from new york or jersey. kind of in the same way that willie and waylon resonate more with texans. the music and vibe is just so heavily tied to a specific region and way of life.

ive heard it said that there are two types of people...springsteen fans and tom petty fans and the two dont overlap that often. im a tom petty fan.

Pole and pgabriel like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

This is all truth.

By all accounts he puts on a hell of a live show and I wish I had seen him 20-30 years ago.

basso and No Worries like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

For a long time, I never really cared for Springsteen. I thought he was a Bob Dylan wannabe but I decided to give him a fair shake probably about 14 to 15 years ago and I listened to his "Essential Springsteen" double CD and all the songs from "Born to Run" and "Darkness on the Edge of Town" clicked with me. I was now hooked. With that being said, I do believe that like all other artists, he has really good stuff, sometimes great and then some things that are mediocre. But he had a run of albums from his 2nd one through Tunnel of Love that was hard to beat, IMO. His later stuff can come across as a little too political (although I don't mind because I am more liberal than conservative) but some of his latest stuff is really good, especially the album "Western Stars". I now consider Springsteen like Dylan except he can actually sing (sorry Bob, I still love you).

pgabriel likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This thread was inspired by a PBS special last night on American music. A Spanish singer was singing Dancing In The Dark in Spanish while playing guitar solo.

It sounded so good and after a minute i finally what the song was.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Bruce Springsteen is awesome. I love listening to his hits like “Jack and Dianne” and “Little Pink Houses”, “Rocking USA”, and “Hurts so Good.”

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hilarious

Nook likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

My favorite Springsteen moment was when he sang La Bamba somewhere in Latin America without knowing a single word and he had everyone jumping up and down. And you know what? I loved it!