1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rasheed should've been here by now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Jul 26, 2003.

1. egn

egn Member

I personally don't think we need a player that is so stupid he would take marajuana wrapped in FOIL, throught a metal detector.

2. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

A few points:

Damon stoudamire is a piece of crap. He is short, he cannot shoot for ****, and does mot make even token displays of matador defense. He is the classic "big numbers on a bad team" guy. (much like S A R as you guys like to call him.) Anyone that advocates trading for either of those guys loses all creditability with me.

I will now give those individuals a few moments to recover from losing all creditability with me......................

The reason why portland WOULD trade 'sheed for diminished returns is that although Allen has more money than God he is paying out quite a bit of salary for a team that underachieves and seemingly is constantly in the wrong type of headlines. This offseason is about changing that image to one of the more loyal but disgusted fan bases in the NBA. Rightly or not Wallace has become the figurehead for what is wrong with the Blazers so they actually Want to see him go. They have a young guy (randolph) that management really likes who is willing to go to the boards and bang inside, unlike the aforementioned wonderboy wallace.

As to griffin and wallace being the same player in skill set I agre and disagree. I (nine prepares for the backlash) think that Eddie will end up being a better player down the road. At least for this team.

The complaints I see about Les the dirty cheap b*stard and the giant salary cap I don't really understand. This guy has never shown me anything that says he won't spend money to win. whether or not it kicks in or not is a legitimate point but to me, the question isn't keep Posey its keep Posey for something close to what the man is worth. Lets say you match this offer and we do have a cap then you paying him 12 million dollars? That's James POSEY folks, not James Worthy.

As to "look at all these moves being made! we're screwed!" Did any of you think we would be competing for the TITLE this year? I just want see the new staffs effects on the players we have and make the play=offs for alittle exp.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Could Rasheed Wallace be the third "star player" this team needs? Dispite his attitude his talents seem to work well with this team.

How happy would we all be with Griffin if he develoiped into a Rasheed Wallace? Pretty happy I would suggest. So why not take the "if" out of it and go out and GET Wallace?

While Portland does not want to give Wallace away they probably would be looking HARD at trades to "better the image" of the team. Perhaps they are willing to degregade their talent just to get better citizens on the team. This is where we might be able to get Wallace for cheaper than usual.

Again, he would bring us the 3rd star player this team needs to survive the Western Conference.

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I love that idea! ;) Of course, as the Rockets backcourt situation is right now, I'd take just about anyone over Mooch to backup Stevie. And TB was doing decent in the summer leagues!

Maybe I should start a poll to see who is more liked, Tierre or Mooch...

Back to the topic: Sheed might actually fit into our system; he can bang in the post if he wants to, but he can also stretch the defense out by taking some longrange shots. He is EG v 2.0, just without the shotblocking ability. He can also get nasty and fire up the team to do well with a few well-timed technicals when the team is playing like crap.

That being said: there is no way Portland makes this trade. Why would they want EG's potential when they have a better version of EG AND Zach Randolph waiting in the wings? JUST to get rid of Stoudamire's contract? I think they can get more for their money than our mediocre players and address other needs on the team.

5. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

last time I checked, the second worst contract in the league(behind Moochie's) was Damon Stoudamire. How great would that be if we had the two worst contracts in the league as backup point guards?? Are you guys really serious about trading for Damon Stoudamire????

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Any Rasheed scenario that included Stoudamire would also need Moochie's contract going to the Blazers. This works under the assumption that the Blazers want Damon gone so badly for PR reasons that they'll take Moochie back.

7. bacteria10

bacteria10 Member

Didn't Damon want to play for the Rockets a few years ago? I mean, when he got out of Toronto being the best player in the league (at the time), he said he was interested in the Rockets right? That would be smashing. Rasheed Wallace is my type of player. Leader - Winning Attitude - Killer Instinct. I could really see these 3 characteristics overshadowing his on-the-court tantrums. He's a guy who knows how to win. Maybe he can be in another team to take him out of the first-round playoff slump. Let's make deals with Portland's talent!

bacteria10

8. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

Portland does want to move Sheed for these reasons:

*Sheed has only 1 more year left and if they plan on keeping him they will have to show him the money$

*They want to move Randy to staring PF

*They want to make their payrole more cost effective.

*They want to clean up thier image.

*They will need a center soon

We do have one of the best backup centers who could be starting for most nba teams. We have cheap potential in EG. Both of these players are under contract for longer than Sheed's one year.

Sheed being under contract for one year, his off court antics, and his high:rolleyes: salary drop his trade value well under his talent level. No GM would give up a star player for him in this situation.

We would be gambling to get him becuase we may be giving up our depth for a players services for one year. Having said this I would still do it. If he dosen't work out we don't have to keep him.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Actually, there was a trade that almost went through sending Damon and Walt Williams from Toronto to Houston for Elie, I think Willis, and maybe somebody else. ESPN reported it before it was a done deal, and Portland swooped in with a better offer.

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The truth on that deal is that the Rockets didn't want to part ways with Rodrick Rhodes: the future of the franchise. Er... well at least we got Yao.

11. gideon27

gideon27 Member

He complains about a lot more than just the refs. Dude's a headcase in the lockerroom as well. Remember a couple of years back when he smacked around Sabonis with a towel in the face over a play that he actually screwed up? Yeah, his game is nice, but I don't see that kind of attitude mixing in well.

12. TaiMaiShu

TaiMaiShu Member

Houston trades: SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.7 minutes)
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.5 minutes)
    Houston receives: PF Rasheed Wallace (18.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.1 apg in 36.3 minutes)
    PG Jeff McInnis (5.8 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.3 apg in 17.5 minutes)
    SF Qyntel Woods (2.4 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +4.2 ppg, -4.7 rpg, and +2.1 apg.

Portland trades: PF Rasheed Wallace (18.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.1 apg in 36.3 minutes)
    PG Jeff McInnis (5.8 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.3 apg in 17.5 minutes)
    SF Qyntel Woods (2.4 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 0.2 apg in 6.3 minutes)
    Portland receives: SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 62 games)
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 73 games)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 77 games)
    Change in team outlook: -4.2 ppg, +4.7 rpg, and -2.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Portland being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Portland had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Then we should sign Jahidi White or Vladimir Stephani as backup 5

Steve/Mcinnis/Norris
    Mobley/Pike/Hawkins
    Woods/Nachbar/Pike
    Wallace/Taylor
    Ming/White

Our 3 spot can change with the team we go against. Athletic slasher with woods to spot up shooter with Pike.

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Great idea, but the Blazers are probably higher (no pun intended) on Qyn than on Rasheed right now - Woods blew up in summer leagues.

14. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

If we were to trade Cato w EG and Rice, I would love to get Davis and Wallace. We would get more experince and tuffer. They would get a starting center and would play Eg as the backup pf. they would also help clean up thier image and get younger and more athletic. I could see them bite on this.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

My most common question is, why would Portland do it and why would we have 20m worth of pf's. It would be possible to actually play Wallace and Taylor together, but Griffin in Portland makes no sense. Patterson will prove to be a better gm than whitsitt.