1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rasheed should've been here by now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Cato, Rice, and Griffin for Rasheed Wallace - accepted at Real GM

Why hasn't this happened yet?

Portland needs a center with Sabonis gone - Cato.
    And they've been ordered by ownership to cut their bloated payroll - Rice and his soon to expire contract.
    And we all know that Rasheed is available because of the way Zach Randolph's played.
    And with their depth, they can wait for Griffin to develop.

Rockets get a guy who can play all three front-court positions.
    They get a guy who can spread the floor with 3-point shooting, giving Yao more room to move and Steve & Cat more room to cut.
    They get a guy who is use to sharing the ball, having played on a team full of options in Portland.
    They get a guy who has probably worn out his welcome in Portland and would probably benefit from a change of location.
    Most of all, they get an all-star level talent who is just 28.

So, you tell me - why hasn't this deal gone down yet? It seems like every team in the NBA except Houston and Portland have made major deals or big signings so far. What's holding things up?

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Maybe Portland doesn't want to trade Rasheed.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Stop making sense!!!

4. Furious Jam

Of course, that's always true. But everything I've read this summer at ESPN says that he's available - Ford, Aldridge, etc.

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Available doesn't necesarily mean they want to trade him though - just that he could be had for the right price. Perhaps they merely floated the rumor to try and elicit someone who'd overpay for him - not that they necesarily want to trade him.

Or even if they want to trade him, perhaps they don't want to trade him to us - or any other Western Conference team.

He's an extremely talented player, and I think he'd play really well with Yao - especially as the intimidator we need(what he lacks in bulk, he makes up for with pure unadulterated insanity), and I would like him on the team, but I don't think we can expect to get him unless we plan to overpay for him.

6. Furious Jam

My thought exactly on the insanity factor. Can you see Yao doing a post-game interview?

Calvin: "What'd you think of Sheed tonight?"
    Yao: "He is what the storm is to the duck, the flame to the tree. He's @#%*ing nuts."
    Calvin: "Good thing he's on our side!"

You're right that the Blazers probably want too much, but maybe not in the way you think. They'd probably want us to take Ruben Patterson off their hands, which I don't think I could stomach. I'd approve if the Rockets took him, gave up Moochie's contract in the process, then just cut Patterson. It seems unlikely, but if they could cut Maloney and his big ticket, they could cut anyone. Just so long as I never have to see Patterson in a Rocket uniform - dude is just a loser.

7. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Some people would trade their momma for a psychotic basketball player. Have some self respect.

I would like to place a long term bet. Rasheed will never play on a team that wins a championship.

8. Furious Jam

I don't think the Blazers are interested in trading for my momma, though she has a pretty sweet jump hook.

I don't think Rasheed will ever lead a championship team, but that doesn't mean that he can't contribute to one. Hey, how many championships does Dennis Rodman have?

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

The Blazers can get a hell of a lot more than our crapy players for Sheed.

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

Actually, there ARE thinking about trading Rasheed due to the emergence of Zach Randolph. This makes Rasheed and his temper/attitude expendable. This is mainly why you are hearing rumors of this deal happening. And they are coming from Stephen A. Smith and Marc Stein who are still insisting that a deal with the Rockets involving Sheed' is close to being a reality. With Smith, I take this with a grain of salt. But with Stein on the other hand, this get me wondering, maybe there is a deal being discussed.

11. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

If JVG can handle Spree, maybe he can handle Sheed, also.

12. Furious Jam

Any trade for Sheed would turn not so much on what we would give the Blazers, but what we'd be willing to take from them. I already mentioned the Patterson scenario, but here's another one:

Kelvin Cato
    Mo Taylor
    Glen Rice
    Moochie Norris
    FOR
    Rasheed Wallace
    Damon Stoudamire
    TRADE ACCEPTED at Real GM

No doubt you can see the upside and downside of this trade for each team.
    It seems like swapping Cato for Wallace, with the Blazers taking garbage from us to be rid of Stoudamire's bad contract and bad karma. Seems unlikely? Remember that just a few years ago, Cato was the center of a deal where the Rockets took back a lot of garbage from the Blazers just to be rid of Scottie Pippen. Deals like this do happen for cap reasons and for chemistry reasons, even though the talent on both sides of the deal doesn't quite even out.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind absorbing Damon's contract to be rid of Moochie's - I'd hire John Lucas to work with him and maybe turn him around and into the player he used to be.

13. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

I would rather not see that headcase on the team. He's a cancer, also it seems everyone that moans about Eddie taking too many threes is for aquiring this guy. Rasheed has a lot of talent but I doubt that he will ever realize it. I have seen him play for years and in the last few he has become soft, shying from contact and falling in love with his J.

This is not the "banger" that everyone seems to want to help Yao. I wish all of you would stop panicking and let a NEW coach have at least half a year with the current personel.

14. tigereye

tigereye Member

I would actually want to see him on this team. He's not as big of a headcase as everyone thinks he is. He doesnt moan or complain alot, except to the refs on a bad call though. And if you think about it, thats the only time you see or hear of him complaing. Its to the refs. And he only does that because of his drive and desire to win it all. He only wants to win, and that's where his attitude comes from. And its pretty intimidating might I add. If you want an example of this, ask some Mavs fans after the way Rasheed almost willed his team to victory in that series after being down 3-0. And that's what Yao and the entire front court of the Rockets, if not the whole team, needs to survive in the west. That's the biggest asset Rasheed brings to the table. And that's what the Rockets need.

:)

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'd trade my momma for Rasheed. :)

If we can get him without giving up Steve, Yao or Cuttino I'd do it in a hearbeat. We would contend for homecourt with a lineup like that.

16. Sane

Sane Member

Here's a trade I was working on a while ago. This is just the basics, and we definitely need Utah, Denver or Miami to help us facilitate this trade by absorbing the contract of either Mobley or Mo Taylor. But this is the basic idea:

Houston trades:

Rice, Cato, Griffin to Atlanta

Portland trades:

Wallace, McInnis to Houston
    Sabonis to Atlanta

Atlanta trades:

SAR, Ratliff to Portland
    Henderson to Houston

Atlanta gain 2 expiring contracts (I'm sure they love that), Eddie Griffin (consider him a pick) and Kelvin Cato, someone who can play C and is over there every summer.

Portland gives up Rasheed and all the capspace he'd bring next offseason for someone to replace Pip at the 3, as well as someone who can play the 4 while Randolph slowly adjusts to being the starter. They also get a C in Ratliff, who along with Davis, can finally give them a formidable C duo.

For Houston, it's obvious what we get. What you need to know is that we'd probably have to deal Mobley to a 4th team as part of this deal. We'd lvoe to trade MoT, but I doubt anyone really wants him right now. However, this is what our team looks like, and I think our backcourt is WAY improved:

Ming/MoT/Wallace
    Wallace/MoT
    Henderson/Boki/Pike (Probably need to sign someone to the MIN)
    Francis/Pike
    McInnis/Francis/Mooch

I don't know if Henderson is any worse than Rice at SF, but I really doubt it. We have 2 PF's in case Wallace gets tossed, and Wallace can easily play C to backup Ming. MoT has done it before, but he's probably more of a 3rd option there. Wallace can slide over to C, and Mo comes in when Yao wants to rest. Wallace can also help out at the 3 at time. Francis moves to the 2, and McInnis becomes the starter. Great asst:to ratio, great defense, solid FG%. Better PG than Francis, and Francis is a better SG than Mobley. Throw Pike in and we have an experienced, unselfish backcourt.

Thoughts?

17. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

I would love to add Sheed and would do it if we don' have to give up Cat, Francis, Or Yao. He is a perfect comp. to Yao's game. The only other player who would be better is a injury free Webber(couldn't get).

I hope it doesn't take a big trade to get it done. I'd like to leave as much of the team untouched as possible. You don't want a team full of strangers.

Centers are such a premium right now (see Miller and all the other scrubs that got good contracts), that Cato and Griff might be overpaying.

What?!!

When a team needs a center its hard to find. Plus Wallace is not grtd to resign with what team gets him but Cato and Griff will be there for a few years.

I might consider taking Mighty Mouses' large contract to get rid of Moochie.

18. Sane

Sane Member

The thing is, you want to keep Mobley and get Rasheed. Where do you expect the shots to come from?

If we add Rasheed to this team, neither MoT nor Cat can be starters, and one almost definitely has to be off the team.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I disagree. Only MoT can not be a starter.

I would not mind if Cat came of the bench as an instant offense sub but I see no problem with him starting. Rasheed is used to playing with 5 guys who can score and Cat has already started learning that he may no longer be the second option on this team.

I think you start your best 5 and if Cat or any of them refuse to play with in the team concept then you bench them.

20. Sane

Sane Member

Rasheed has learned from playing with 5 good starters? This is why Portland hasn't been won anything...forever.

Cat has NOT learned to reduce his role. He was told to reduce his role and he balked at it, he didn't like it, and he said that he wants to take more shots.

If Cat comes off the bench, that's fine, but I really really doubt hisego will allow that.

If I had to choose which to trade while having Rasheed, I'd trade Mobley.