1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Raptors are who we thought they were: Offers GM 5 Year $15 million Deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Medicine N Music, May 30, 2013.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is just insane. Dude is average as a GM; wonder how he won exec of the year. One year Iggy rental was an average trade. Signing McGee to 4 years $44 million, then Koufos starts over him? Signing Wilson Chandler to 5 years $37 million...wow. What about their core? Above average players and no superstars. Now the GM himself is getting 5 years $15 million. Facepalm.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9...-worth-3-million-per-season-according-sources

Per ESPN

The Toronto Raptors have offered Denver Nuggets general manager Masai Ujiri a five-year deal worth nearly $3 million annually, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Ujiri, the NBA's Executive of the Year, is expected to make his decision sometime this week. Sources told Broussard it's a virtual certainty that Denver can't match Toronto's offer.

Nuggets president Josh Kroenke didn't want to spoil the day of new Colorado Avalanche coach Patrick Roy, so he deflected any talk about the situation involving his general manager.

The Nuggets allowed Ujiri, to meet with the Raptors about their GM vacancy over the weekend, Yahoo! Sports reported. Ujiri's contract with Denver expires June 30.

As president of the Avalanche as well, Kroenke attended Roy's announcement on Tuesday. He remained mum about Ujiri, saying, "There are no Nuggets questions today. Sorry. It's all about Avalanche."

Ujiri was assistant GM in Toronto for three years before joining Denver in 2010.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

A GM"s salary doesn't count against the cap so what is the big deal? Morey wastes a lot of Leslie's money on low-risk moves like buying picks that may never come over(Sergio Llull), having 22 players signed for the season(some of us wanted Livingston) and signing 2nd rounders to 4 year deals who don't pan out(Jermaine Taylor). I think an organization is dumb when they ruin their cap flexibility but not when they over pay a GM. Morey would gladly take 3M a year.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

If they truly believe he's a great GM, then $3mil/yr is chump change. Think about it, one wrong signing with the MLE costs a team in the neighborhood of 4yr/$25mil. If a GM is capable of replacing said MLE player with a cheap $1mil/yr player more than the average GM, then he has basically made all his money back.

GMs job is to gamble with high volitile assets worth millions of dollars each. If you nickel-and-dime said position, it can only serve to cost you more money through bad investments. Now, I don't know if he's truly that good. But if they think he is, the money they pay him is hardly a big deal. I would expect Morey to get more on the "FA" market if Les hadn't extended him.

1 person likes this.
  4. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I wonder if they tried to snag morey before he signed with the rockets for 4 years.

If i knew they numbers that would help.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

First of all...is 3 mil per year even that much for a GM? Who cares?

Second of all...he's bound to be at least 5x better than the GM they had, AKA the same dude who paid Derozan 11 mil a year, traded for a grossly overpaid Rudy Gay, and signing Landry Fields for 20 million dollars, and those are just what I can think of off the top of my head.

He did a lot of good things in Denver, whether you want to downplay them or not. Solid move by Toronto IMO.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Funny thing is that The Raptors had him 5 years ago. He was a global scout but allowed him to leave.

Stupid Organazation gonna overpay when stupid

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

He's a decent GM, I hope he retires a Rocket.

8. TISNF

TISNF Member

Do you think GM's negotiate their own contracts? You'd think so, right?

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yeah after they had him and let him go, he went Ujiri-nsanity, to overpay to bring him back.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He's better than Nepotism Colangelo, I hope.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

all about credentials

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They are trying to replace Colangelo with Masai Ujiri. How is that a bad thing?

Colangelo wasted the 1st overall draft pick on Bargnani, another high pick on Charlie Villaneuva, traded the Hibbert pick for an injured Jermaine O'Neal, passed on Andre Drummond for Terrence Ross, let Bosh go essentially for free, and got his team stuck with no flexibility and a mediocre team. Other than drafting Valanciunas and managing to get rid of Hedo Turkoglu's contract (which Colangelo himself gave him), Colangelo has been a disaster.

Ujiri drafted Kenneth Faried late in the draft, turned Afflalo into Iggy, turned Melo into a several solid pieces and built a 55+ wins team. If they had Gallinari for the playoffs, they could be in round 2.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm more confused as to why Denver let him go in the 1st place.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

actually i'm wrong there. Colangelo joined midseason after the Charlie V pick.

15. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Who cares? Does it go against their cap?

Anything to get rid of Colangelo is fine by their fans.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Me too.

This is a very good move for the Raptors. Ujiri has a tough job ahead of him.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Raptors fans would have paid 15 million just to have colangelo leave, much less get another gm in the process

1 person likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I assume Morey gets paid more than that. The Rockets were paying Rick Adelman $4-$5m, JVG likely got something similar. And, this is an organization in which the GM is more important than the coach. So, I expect Morey is also in the $5m neighborhood.

$3m for Ujiri is not an expensive contract. This random website, which must have been written between 2009 and 2012, says the NBA GM average salary is $2.1m. So, this contract is average to slightly above average.

While I don't think Ujiri deserved the Exec of the Year award he got, he's not a bad GM. Even so, I have my doubts he'll repeat his success in Toronto, which seems to have wider institutional problems preventing sucess. Colangelo looked like a pretty good GM in Phoenix before he took the Toronto job. Maybe the Colangelo/Ujiri tandem will be enough brain-power.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty sure coaches get paid more than GMs.

20. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1) Colangelo was a very bad GM, but that doesn't mean, you have to overpay for an average GM.
    2) Ujiri did some nice things, notably drafting Faried. Iggy trade was average, since he was renting Iggy for one year. The price paid was fair. Melo trade was lauded by media, and he got a lot of pieces, but no foundational pieces. Gallinari is just an inefficient scorer (41.8% FG) and nothing else (only 5.2 RPG). IMO, if you trade a superstar, you need to get a foundational piece + lotto pick.

Your very own site you referenced stated the average salary is 1.5 million; where did you get the 2.1 figure? I'm not sure if Morey's is 4-5 million, as that would be 3x the average. So as an average GM at twice the salary of one, is not a good move IMO.