1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rape victim in Dubai jailed for extramarital sex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 19, 2013.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-woman-raped-jailed-extramarital-sex/2554045/

Dubai imprisons Norwegian woman who reported rape

[​IMG]

Businesswoman was convicted of having sex outside of marriage, in addition to perjury and drinking alcohol. Rape laws in the emirates tilt against victims.

A Dubai court has sentenced a Norwegian woman to 16 months in jail for having sex outside of marriage after she reported being raped, according to news reports from the United Arab Emirates.

Marte Deborah Dalelv, 24, was convicted Wednesday. She was also found guilty of perjury and of drinking alcohol, the English-language Local reported. The Norway Post said she was 25.

Dalelv told police March 6 that she was raped while in the emirate on business. Her father said she was instead jailed for four days and had her passport and money confiscated. She was then charged.

Norwegian diplomats secured her release to the local Norwegian Seamen's Church.

The Norwegian Department of Foreign Affairs said Thursday that the verdict "flies in the face of our notion of justice" and was "highly problematic" in terms of Western human rights.

For a rape conviction, United Arab Emirates law requires either a confession or four adult male witnesses to the attack.

The case was not reported in the two major English-language newspapers in the United Arab Emirates, The National and The Khaleej Times.

Similar cases involving foreigners and Emirati women have been reported in the past few years.

In December, a 28-year-old British woman who reported being kidnapped and gang-raped by three men in Dubai was found guilty of drinking alcohol without a license. She was fined $257.

Three years ago, an Abu Dhabi court sentenced an 18-year-old Emirati woman to a year in prison for illicit sex after she reported that six men had gang-raped her.

In 2008, an Australian woman managing a United Arab Emirates resort reported being brutally gang-raped while unconscious because she had been drugged. She was convicted of illegal sex outside marriage and sentenced to 11 months in prison, in addition to one month for drinking alcohol.

She was pardoned after eight months, as were three men convicted of raping her.

"When it comes to seeking justice for sexual violence, women in the UAE still face formidable and often insurmountable barriers," a Human Rights Watch researcher told The Independent.

Human Rights Watch has accused the United Arab Emirates of condoning sexual violence and called changes to its procedures for rape victims.

1 person likes this.
  2. percicles

percicles Member

India thinks they're doing it all wrong.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That'll teach her to get raped. Dubai and all their wealthy **** hiding their f'ed up morality.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Was this in one of those empty skyscrapers?:p

By the way she is hot.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Poor thing can you imagine going through the horror of being gang raped then a bunch of backward religious idiots throw you in jail -- they need to send in a Norwegian seal team equivalent to get her out.

6. putyouonthegame

while this a tragic story, lets not forget the dumb laws that are here in our own backyard.

smoking weed is a crime while killing kids is not.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Please just do us all a favor and never post again.

8. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

lol...

9. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Wow..

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Agree... **** diplomatic relations. If I held a position of power in Norway and one of my own citizens is convicted of a crime in another nation after being raped all hell would break loose. UAE has NO RIGHT in holding her and I hope what ever judge/law enforcement that is holding her there gets two shots in the chest and one in the head.

11. Refman

Refman Member

This post may be indicative of why you don't hold a position of power.

That said, they need to bring the pressure of the international community and its human rights laws to force her release to her country of origin.

12. treeman

treeman Member

This is par for the course in the Middle East. They approach EVERYTHING differently than we do. They are guided by Sharia as well. Females are cattle. They have made some strides recently but expect the "Arab Spring" to roll back any tendencies towards liberty. It's a MB steamroller.

FWIW stories like this are commonplace there and have been for a LONG time.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

isn't Dubai like the prostitution capital of the world now..yet they do this kind of ****?

Seriously, like **** all the UAE countries. Even the arabs I talk to tell me that.

14. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

How can you say **** all the UAE countries when the UAE is 1 country? Sounds kind of ignorant

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yea you're right thats not what I meant. Hard to grasp something over the interwebz but believe me when I say I'm feeling really sick today. I meant the emirate countries. I knew someone from the UAE and he said all the people in the region, (Kuwait, Saudi, Dubai, UAE) are known as Emiratees due to their elevated status and ability to be citizens in their respective countries. Any foreign person can't gain citizenship unless they marry an emiratee or something. Thats how unfair it is and due to those collective laws I grouped them together.

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

This was absolutely disgusting. I think she isn't in prison yet though, I really hope she manages to escape Dubai before its too late. I didn't even know about these absurd laws before I went there for Christmas a few years ago.

17. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Emirate countries, geez man, at least google it or something. LOL, emirate countries. Thanks for the laugh.

I've lived in UAE and its terrible. It isn't the religious rules that caused this lady to get jailed, its probably who was involved in the gang rape. I'm quite sure they are locals who are above the law. The law is essentially different for those with money and power, especially for locals.

I knew an American girl in High School who got gang raped and didn't report it to anyone other than a few select people at school. Pathetic society.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Where was Thor?

19. Mr. Brightside

She was probably dressed as a slut. Who can blame them?

20. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Hey moron. Thats the name for the people in arabic. My dad worked at Oramco for 6 years and I had to live in Saudi, its ironic when you try to correct someone and look the fool. You can't google it because its a sort of slang term that gets thrown around, not official.

Its Ehm-irrh-ah-theee.

Nice try though.