1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rap Nowdays

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Feb 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

That track wound up not making the final cut.

2. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EgwcZjFWmCw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

check out my *****s video

3. SK34

SK34 Member

Last go round for Murs - <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtCwgeYX4vE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> Amazing! now to wait for some WU TANG Pac div etc..

4. SK34

SK34 Member

Hey Yung T and Tdash, I have a favor to ask you guys.

The favor is that I am writing an essay on Rap. I believe my thesis is going to be something like - "The rap today has drastically changed, many people believe that rap today is about dancing, the beats, etc..(i'll think of something) but rap is really all about rhyme and poetry, It is a way to tell a story about ones' life or get a message across. the generation today is losing the real feel of rap..

Something along those lines. Do you think it would make for a good essay? and also I need to find some resources on rap and emceeing. If you can find a great article that explains rap, it would be greatly appreciated. Anyways thanks.

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

http://www.globaldarkness.com/articles/true_meaning_of_hip_hop_bambaata.htm

this may help?

1 person likes this.
  6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oUhwYl1QuxM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sounds great to me and like your sentiments, they're 100%.

To your question on resources. Get the book "How To Rap", interviews with over 100 of the best emcees and legends on everything you want regarding rap. Best book you can find on that topic.

1 person likes this.
  8. TdashDUB

Yeah man, that's awesome. There's plenty of ground to cover too.

I doubt you'd have the time to knock it out, but this is hands down the best book I've read on the history of hip hop: "Can't Stop, Wont Stop" http://www.amazon.com/Cant-Stop-Wont-History-Generation/dp/0312425791/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y
    (btw, as far as the subject of rapping itself is concerned Yung-T's book suggestion is easily on top of that ladder, check it out)

Best movie on the essence of rhyming and rapping is the recently released, Ice-T directed, documentary:
    [​IMG]

9. SK34

SK34 Member

My intro - Everyone in the world enjoys certain types of genres in music. Music has been evolving in the past years. Rap is one genre which has evolved much faster than other genres. Rap music today has begun to reflect the need to get women, money, and power. The rap of yesterday taught people a lesson, or at the very least how to look at life. Whether it was through a humorous lens or a real life story, the rap of yesterday had a feel good vibe that served a purpose whereas today's rap has one purpose- money and power.

10. TdashDUB

^^ Good start.

I'd emphasize that mainstream rap has slowly transformed into money/power.
    You could maybe tie in at the end with something along the lines of "Although materialism has taken over the mainstream stage, the internet has allowed more conscious rappers to continue thriving due to easier access to be discovered ie: Tech n9ne, someone who's music often holds meaning and displays immense talent simultaneously has garnered a cult like status, selling out thousand-seat venues across the world without a major record label, advertisement or radio play"

^^ Just as an example or a little food for thought. Cause although radio remains plagued, I wouldn't want to say that the entire genre is tainted now a days. There certainly hasn't been a lack of substance. Only catch is that substance may have to be sought out rather spoon fed by media.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Word tdub.

12. SK34

SK34 Member

I have to go spread some reps around before giving it to TDub and yung t again. lol

Thank you man. I hope i can finish by the morning haha. Procrastination is a b****.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm going to be using what you wrote. So i'm going to quote you.

14. SK34

SK34 Member

Change Always Isn’t Good
    Everyone in the world enjoys certain types of genres in music. Whether it is rap, country, or rock, every single genre has evolved drastically in the past few years. Rap is one genre which has evolved much faster than any other genres and has become one of the most popular genres today. Rap music today has begun to reflect the need to get women and money. The rap of yesterday taught people a lesson, or at the very least how to look at life and appreciate it. Whether it was through a humorous lens or real life story, the rap of yesterday had a feel good vibe that served a purpose whereas today’s rap has one purpose- women and money.
    There are different aspects of rap which a rapper has to adhere to. The aspects which rappers have to remain within are contents, flow, writing, and delivery. There can be many different contents in rap, and they vary from rapper to rapper. Some of the contents an emcee (rapper) can rap about are something they are familiar with or something they are inspired by. “Murs, for example says, I can write about anything. A challenge for me is you saying, ‘Murs, you’re in a room with a paperclip and a stripper- make a song about it’” (Edwards 3). Tupac and Biggie perfected their craft in rapper and the contents they put out was what made them to be at top of the game. “Good content makes (a) lyric deeper, which can keep people interested in (the) music. Instead of just listening to it a few times because it sounds good, (listeners will) keep coming back to it because they know they can get more out of it” (5).
    The contents have drastically changed over the years. In the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000 to 2007 many emcees’ main contents were about their own life experiences. Havoc from Mobb Deep said “(My lyrics come from) life experiences, things I go through, things I see my people go through, stuff like that- everyday life” (5). The emcees use their contents to express themselves and project their feelings to their listeners. With the use of writing about their life experiences, one can relate to the rapper and not make the same mistakes or even have some hope for themselves. The emcees tended to help the masses to see a themes and morals in their raps. Afrika Bambaataa said that “he recognizes that a great deal of ignorance exist within society, and he constantly strives to educate the misguided, indoctrinated masses” through his music (Faisal). Some believed that the emcee should not talk about their life because of all the controversies which rises with it but Devin the Dude disagreed by saying “To each his own- that’s what makes rap so incredible, man. There’s so many different kinds of raps and styles and everything, and some people feel that their life is not peaches and cream and it’s hard on the streets and the world is tough and they feel they should kinda reflect that in their music” (Edwards 11). The emcees which reflected their life into their music tended to have made an classic album most of the time because how people can relate to it.
    In the beginning of 2008 till now, the contents of music has shifted to getting women and making money. The emcees make their contents to be about women and money because the mainstream wants them to make these types of music. It is a “softer style of rap music tailor made for women” (Scott). Artist like Drake, Soulja Boy, 2Chainz have been a huge influence in the way people perceive rap. Artist are making rap songs to have a catchy beat, a catchy hook, and they only talk about getting women and making the money. Most rappers like Soulja Boy and 2Chainz make songs for dancing and they blurt out anything that comes to their mind whether it has significant meaning or not. The rap has changed so drastically that the “rites of passage that were once necessary to be considered a rapper have since been eliminated, replaced by the so-called ‘ring tone rap’ that dominates today” (Scott).
    Although much of the mainstream rap has changed drastically over the years shifting from storytelling and meaningful songs to materialism and women, the internet has allowed the more conscious rappers to seek after success in the mainstream world. These rappers have continued to keep the rap game how it began. They try to keep their substance fresh and continue to make the meaningful rap which was once what rap was known for. The only problem with bringing out the substance is that the media controls what they want to put out.

15. SK34

SK34 Member

Fixed version.

Everyone in the world enjoys certain genres of music. Whether it is rap, country, or rock, every single genre has evolved drastically in the past few years. Rap is one genre which has evolved much faster than any other genres and has become one of the most popular genres today. Rap music today has begun to reflect the need to get women and money, however rap was never meant to be for that. Rap from the 1980s and 1990s taught people a lesson, or at the very least how to look at life and appreciate it. Whether it was through a humorous lens or real life story, the rap of yesterday had a feel good vibe that served a purpose whereas today’s rap has one purpose- women and money.
    There are different aspects of rap which a rapper has to adhere to such as contents, flow, writing, and delivery. There can be many different contents in rap such as real-life, fictional, controversial, and conscious contents. The content which an emcee (rapper) chooses varies from rapper to rapper. Some of the contents an emcee can rap about are something they are familiar with or something they are inspired by. Murs says, “I can write about anything. A challenge for me is you saying, ‘Murs, you’re in a room with a paperclip and a stripper- make a song about it’” showing that it’s the emcees decision on what content is to be used for a certain song. Tupac and Biggie perfected their craft as an emcee; the real-life and the controversial contents they produced led them to be the most respected emcees of their time and are still respected today. Good content makes a “lyric deeper, which can keep people interested in the music. Instead of just listening to it a few times because it sounds good” the listeners will “keep coming back to it because they know they can get more out of it” (5).
    The contents have radically changed over the years. In the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000 to 2007 many emcees’ main contents were about their own life experiences. Havoc from Mobb Deep said, “(My lyrics come from) life experiences, things I go through, things I see my people go through, stuff like that- everyday life” (5). The emcees use their contents to express themselves and project their feelings to their listeners. With the use of writing about their life experiences, one can relate to the rapper and not make the same mistakes or even have some hope for themselves. The emcees tended to help the masses to see the themes and morals in their raps. Afrika Bambaataa said that, “he recognizes that a great deal of ignorance exist within society, and he constantly strives to educate the misguided, indoctrinated masses” through his music (Faisal). Some believed that the emcees should not talk about their life because of all the controversies which rises with it but Devin the Dude disagreed by saying, “To each his own- that’s what makes rap so incredible, man. There’s so many different kinds of raps and styles and everything, and some people feel that their life is not peaches and cream and it’s hard on the streets and the world is tough and they feel they should kinda reflect that in their music” (Edwards 11). Emcees that reflect their life into their music tend to create classic albums such as “Below the Heavens” by Blu and “The Dairy” by Scarface.
    In the beginning of 2008 until now, the contents of music have shifted to getting women and making money to be known in the mainstream world. The mainstream style of rap is known as the “softer style of rap music tailor made for women” (Scott). Artist like Drake, Soulja Boy, and 2Chainz have been a huge influence in the way people perceive rap by making it seem that rap is for dancing and partying rather than storytelling. The new era of artists are making rap songs to have a catchy beat, a catchy hook, and their contents are mainly about women and making money. Most rappers, like Soulja Boy and 2Chainz, make songs for dancing in which they blurt out anything that comes to their mind whether it has significant meaning or not. Rap has changed so considerably that the “rites of passage that were once necessary to be considered a rapper have since been eliminated, replaced by the so-called ‘ring tone rap’ that dominates today” (Scott).
    Much of the mainstream rap has changed significantly over the years shifting from storytelling and meaningful songs to money and women. There are still some emcees who are more conscious known as underground emcees or rappers that try to use rap for its true meaning. Although, it has been difficult for the underground rappers to find success in the mainstream world, they still take their crafts seriously and try to use the best contents available for their listeners.

Not that great but let me know what y'all think lol.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So Saigon's sophomore album came out a couple weeks ago with absolutely no fanfare as far as I can tell. Too bad, cause it's awesome!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kwZmfSDMhlg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

19. TdashDUB

For the HHH's...

This is the original recording for Common's diss track "The b**** In Yoo"
    The eventually released track goes after Ice Cube for the entire song. But this version (although still going at Cube in the first verse) has different 2nd and 3rd verses. One, if not both, going after a Chicago rapper. HMmmm....

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBqkQOK0zh4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XBqkQOK0zh4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

20. TheReason

TheReason Member

New Blue Scholars song. Great stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lv1QJOk_CB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>