1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[rant]The rich get richer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 9, 2012.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Overpaid Lopez and Humphries was not willing to sign a 1 year deal. That deal is a farce.

Rockets certainly could have offered more, but it leaves me wondering exactly what they did offer.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

FIBA will block the trade. Just watch. On the grounds it's detrimental to the development of the sport of baskball.

3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

We are pretty much the ugly girl. :(

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm bringing the post below from another thread:

The Nets deal is most definitely not a farce compared to what the Magic are actually getting.

Until details are final, it appears the Magic were historically stupid considering the alleged Nets and Rockets offers they turned down. Time was NOT on their side after all.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

put another way, fakers upgraded from the 25th best player in the league to the 5th best -- for...a lottery-protected 2017 draft pick! :grin:

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bingo.

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING BROTHER: It's pro wrestling with a ball.

[​IMG]

7. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

You realize this now? Reason I'm still here is that it's also a Houston board.

8. AXG

AXG Member

Um, OKC and San Antonio were the top 2 teams in the West last season.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It's ok, nobody will give a sheet about the NBA once the NFL and college football start in 3 weeks.

1 person likes this.
  10. jtvarghe

jtvarghe Member

How can you remain the fan of the NBA after this. The magic get garbage players in return and 3 (1-round draft picks)...highly likely to be low and they are PROTECTED. How is this deal any better than the rockets deal.

If Stein veto's the rockets trade from last year and he doesn't veto this one?...come on

There needs to be a hard cap like the NFL. Then this will not occur, the owners f***ed up. I stopped watching the rockets last year, it not because its there fault. Its because the "system" is setup to fail.

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Everybody gets the same amount of ice in life, it's just that the rich get it in the summer and the poor get it in the winter.

12. VBG

VBG Member

The Lakers had Bynum who was by far the best piece the Magic could get. Why they didn't get Bynum is beyond me.

But I would take Bynum over anything the Rockets gave.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

He can't veto this trade. He was the "owner" of the Hornets at the time of last years trade and was able to veto due to that.

Canceling my NBA League Pass. I'll just watch the Rox all year and hopefully see some fun, rookie basketball.

14. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

The powers that be...semi-veiled behind the scenes...don't like it that way and have contrived to shift things back in a more desirable direction for themselves.

In a couple of years, LA will mysteriously pry Durant from OKC for some mid-range player and a future draft pic.

Or maybe justice will be served and Dwight will leave the Lakers high and dry after the season and sign elsewhere. Ha -- it would truly be served if he signed with Houston and their core of new, young players...along with some other all star player that the Rockets might be able to fit in ( ;) ).

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In the 62 year hiostory of the league , LA and Boston account for greater than half of all NBA Titles with 32 between them , 17 for the Celtics and 15 for the Lakers.

Only two other teams have Four (4) or more NBA titles - Chicago with Six (6) and San Antonio with Four (4).

That accounts for 42 of a possible 62 NBA Championships between 4 teams.

Stern was for all intents and purposes GM for the Hornets since they were owned by the league ... Their GM at the time was only GM in title .... with no authority.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Durant's got a big extension and a good team, he won't leave.

Now, Blake Griffin or Kevin Love on the other hand.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I've been a super casual fan for a while now - I just cannot get over how ****ed up the league has become. All the diva posturing and setups are just too annoying. The rules are so subjective that the divas essentially play a different game. This is to true that the NBA reffing scandal was not about "fixing" games, it was as simple as knowing who was playing and who was reffing. Stern's influence has gotten almost out of control...

It's too much.

18. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

I'll agree that this concept has a a good bit of merit. I won't say it's the way things happened, but there are many manipulations that go on behind the scenes that we as fans (or general public) never see.

There is a lot of money (power) in the background that can work in the same way that political lobbyists do in swaying decisions in directions that they deem favorable. A push here, a pull there...money, power to manipulate...a dynamic combination of player and agent desires, media pushes, sponsor money...who knows what else.

We see obvious figureheads and create scapegoats like Stern or those we labels as buffoons who are in visible positions (Hennigan, for instance) and blame them for all that happens. Who knows what other individuals or groups push the right buttons here or there to affect these outcomes?

Yeah, that's part conspiracy theory...and part the way the world works.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Anyone know where I can watch Euroleague? I need my bball fix, but I need a break from this ****.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

None of that is Stern's fault...the MAJORITY of those bos-lal championships have been won by the celtics and lakers in the 50s-60s-70s-80s. Did you even know this when typing this post? Furthermore, it was WORSE in terms of only 2 teams winning a championship likely BEFORE you ever became a fan of the NBA. Which means you BECAME a fan knowing full-well that only 2 teams have won a majority of the championships.

The NBA has ALWAYS been like this is what I'm saying, and a lot of very popular sports leagues around the world are like this. Imagine how a fan of Wigan Athletic feels knowing that there is zero chance they will ever win the title, much less finish in the top 4. EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Lique 1 are largely dominated by a select few small teams.