1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rant Sports] Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, May 15, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I value signing a max free agent like Dwight Howard. This is the only type of deal you are going to get where the Rockets could move enough salary to sign Dwight or Chris Paul.

Of course, I would LOVE to get an unprotected 1st rounder from Charlotte for each of these guys, but that's probably not going to happen. Under normal circumstances I would never dump any of these players for 2nd round picks. This is only assuming they absolutely have to in order to sign Dwight or CP3.

2. WNBA

WNBA Member

The major problem is TRob is too short. He has to play small which he was not good at. His value at best is a 2nd rounder.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'm doubtful that the FO gives up on Thomas Robinson so soon. They wouldn't give up Patrick Patterson for a guy who was drafted so high just to ship him out for a 2nd rounder. If that was their intention, they could've just shipped Pat for a 2nd and not taken back the salary. I think, if they needed to clear cap space, they'd look to ship Motiejunas, Jones, and especially White. Those guys have been with the organization now for a year, and have been in training camp, the summer league, and have played for our developmental team. White has done the worst, obviously, so I think they'll ship him out for a protected 2nd rounder and pay his salary to get him off the cap. As for Motiejunas and Jones, I think Jones has shown the most development, so I think if they had to ship one of these two guys, I think Motiejunas would be the guy to go, unfortunately.

In short, they won't get rid of Robinson. He hasn't been in a training camp, he hasn't had a chance to play in the summer league, and he hasn't played in the developmental league. The fact that they didn't ship him down this season shows that they believe he can be part of the rotation.

4. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Robinson for next years 1st, hope whatever team doesn't make the playoffs. The lotto next year will be decently stacked. Could grab someone like Smart late in the lotto....

5. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I thought we don't want first rounders (unless high) because of the bad contracts? 2nd rounder gives us contract flexibility like a Parsons.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think he could at least net us a low 1st rounder this year. Maybe even get our 1st back from Atlanta. But first i would give him another season or so to see if he breaks out. I actually think all of our rookies are going to breakout to some extent next season. They all showed flashes during this season

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

we are on the same page. he is too small for a pf who can dominate low post on the offense side since asik is not. we need a pf of this type for us to be a real title contender.

8. cbb139

cbb139 Member

If the rockets can get rid of White, I'd package TRob with him.

9. Mariachi ROCKET

Jumpers! Yea Jumpers!!! LOL

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Just like DMo, he got a shot, but disappeared off the radar and ended up plastered to the bench. I agree he needs a training camp, summer league etc. before he is "trashed." Showed some flashes of brilliance. I felt T. Jones looked the best of all the youngsters, but McHale benched him too along with Anderson (who also had his moments.) The PF situation is very curious. It might be best to get a one year rental like Pau to give the kids time to develop.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why hasn't Carl Herrera appeared to bash TRob? Inquiring minds.

But trading TRob for pennies on the dollar? Mmmmm....no. Unless, of course, it's the difference between Yes-Dwight and NoDwight.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What you value those player at in comparison to this years draft shouldn't matter. Think future drafts value. Plus given how smart GM's are they will know that Morey HAS TO clear space, and his bargaining stance will be pretty bad to negotiate great value for any of these players. Keep that in mind.

Most importantly though-

Whatever they get in return CANNOT have a cap hold that would prevent the Rockets from having the max cap space needed to sign a free agent.

That's why if any of our PF's are traded beforehand it would have to be for a pick in a future draft, or ( I think) they can use it for a Euro-stash player in the 2nd round whose cap hold would be lower(could be wrong there though).

Either way, future picks would be what Morey would be trading these guys for the clear the cap space needed. Where those picks land in the future, I do not have a clue.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Somebody has an opinion about a player and wrote on "Rant Sports" without any analysis of his actual performance? What's there's to respond? Why exactly doe the writer think Robinson is the best bet among the young PFs on the roster? How does the writer compare Robinson, DMo, TJones, etc. with each other? How do you have a discussion about this kind of "article?

Typical "Bleacher Report" internet fluff.

#33 Carl Herrera, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Plus, he looks like he is a freshman in high school.

https://www.facebook.com/CodyWilliamsRantsports

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Trob, Royce, and Suns 2nd rd pick for Jeff Taylor and Blazers 1st.

16. Carl Herrera

And he's supposedly a "Senior Writer" for Rant Sports. Geez... I hate to see what their Junior and Sophmore writers look and write like.

Rant Sports: Where You Go After Your Submission Is Rejected by Bleacher Report

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I would like to see what progression the kid makes in his second year with a full camp and a year of tutelage under his belt. The skillset, athleticism and potential that made him a top 5 pick remain and bigs normally take longer to develop.

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I dont get the Trob is short thing if you think so then pls stop saying tjones and gsmith are not undersized. There all the same size by a half inch. Trust me I'm at every game behind the bench I see them all hop around before the game and they all look the exact same height.

Trobs body is proportioned well like a guy 6 foot tall which is rare for a guy 6'9 this is why he's such a good athlete and can run so well. His body movement is very fluid. He weights almost 250 and jumps out the gym and is prob the fastest pf running up to court in the game. He'll be a player in the league because of these rate attributes. It's not like he didnt have some flashes on defense as a menace and he always rebounded better than any pf we had on the roster. It's just not sexy likes jones blocks or dmos hook shot. But I was extreamly impressed with his defense in the Dallas game and he played dominant for a quarter against Indy on both sides were he brought us back into the game being down 20. He was the focal point of the offense for that quarter also.

He's the least polished offensively yet was able to play as the man for a short stretch and have success. None of our other pfs could do that which says something that I see and I know morey sees. Potential to be a stud that's why we traded for him. Moreys not getting rid of him for cap space only for a superstar. Moreys not gonna get caught with his pants down trading Trob for a draft pick when he hasn't even played 20 games yet for the team. You can't trade the 5th pick after 20 games for pennies because if you do and he produces like a 5th pick should then the one who traded him Looks like a moron.

No matter what ppls opinion on this board is if you really watched him play you can see the offensive potential to be a high scoring weapon he has moves right now to get off clean looks and draw fouls he just needs to start making more of them. Time will tell if he does but I do know one thing I have never seen a guy in his first yr a finished product. Trob will get better and could be just what we need at pf for yrs to come.

19. Carl Herrera

It may be too early to judge as he does look young and undeveloped, but I am not sure a full camp and a year of tutelage will do much to help Cody Williams. He's not showing much skills or potential judging by this article. Also does not look very athletic judging by his photo. Whoever it is at Rant Sports that picked him top 5 should be fired. There must be plenty of guys in high school, or DeVry, who write better than this.

1 person likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll have to admit this is true.

While I was starting to side with you on the "why did we trade Ppat for TRob again?", Garcia's throw-in turned out to help, so I relented.

But now I'm in the camp of, If you can find a good under-the-cap trade partner for Trob that nets us a solid first rounder, and if it makes a difference on whom we sign or trade for, great, do it.

Otherwise we have to hold onto him and hope the light bulb comes on for TRob (maybe McHale and Dream can help), because I'm beginning to think that Kansas University is slipping their players (see also: Morris, Marcus) OverConfidence Booster pills under the counter. And Morey isn't privy to the knowledge.