1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rant] Gender double standards: how men are portrayed in the media

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmc89, Dec 9, 2011.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

[The following plot details are revealed in the first 3 minutes of the movie]

Last night, I watched the movie, Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011), where Steve Carell's character has to win back his wife after she cheats on him.

His character is a middle-aged faithful and devoted husband who simply becomes 'boring' therefore his wife has no choice except to spread her legs for another man (the husband's boss)...

Not only is the premise of the film garbage, what's even more irritating is how widespread this pathetic depiction of men is. Does this bother anyone else? It's not uncommon to see emasculated men on TV who are nothing but sports obsessed, beer chugging idiots being led around by all-wise women. The Cheerios commercial below perfectly embodies this reverse sexism:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-IZ9CL4phPk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If the roles were reversed, there'd be an outcry from feminist groups. "The box says shut up Jane!".

At a car dealership today, I saw a woman in front of me hand her purse to a husband and tell him to go bring the car up front because she didn't feel like walking. She then snapped her fingers when he wasn't walking fast enough. He just gave her a bovine smile and said "uhh... okay honey!". God that p*ssed me off.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I agree with you about the media portrayal but I'm not sure why the people in the car dealership piss you off so much. That's their personal business on how they want to interact with each other.

3. lean

lean Member

One time I was at JC Penny or a store like that as a kid with my mom. I remember noticing how the women's dressing rooms were all tucked away in this private area with solid doors and walls that you can't look under. Yet the men's dressing rooms were practically in the middle of the store, with shutter-like doors and walls that you could almost see through, let alone the fact said doors/walls stopped about a foot and a half from the floor. I never understood this. I can understand the need for more women's changing rooms than men's, but why do women get all this extra privacy while men are forced to change practically in the middle of the store, where anyone can sneak a quick peak if they so desired?

In retrospect I dunno how related to the OPs post this is but I felt like sharing my cool story bro regardless.

4. lean

lean Member

And to actually address the OP, yes it bothers me the way men are sometimes prorayed in media. But I think it goes both ways, women are objectified and protrayed negatively in media all the time as well.

5. lean

lean Member

And maybe one day I will learn to spell portrayed.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is done because television is about escapism and absurdity. Like the ironically randy, perverted old people who in real life would be considered creepy, depressed or mentally ill.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

That's true, and in hindsight, my post does come across as priggish.

Nonetheless, if the roles were reversed most people would raise their eyebrows at a woman being treated like so. In fact, two other people (one was a woman) who overheard her talk to her husband in that demeaning manner exchanged glances with me and grimaced so I know that I wasn't the only one reacting negatively.

8. Yonkers

With 3 people within hearing distance grimacing, it would seem it doesn't matter if it was man or woman then.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Agreed, and it's one of the reasons that I loathe sitcoms.

10. Dei

Dei Member

Class A b**** dependency.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

There's a lot more of "Me wear horn-rimmed glasses: me SMART & SOPHISTICATED & SNARKY" women out there.

The few instances I see topics concerning female well being, the term "EMPOWERING" comes up so much. The most simplest things are communicated in sobby sappy support group form. Everything's so EMPOWERING or INSPIRING.

To me that means its about POWER pure and simple. It implies that women DON'T have ANY influence, any power, and are just weaklings who'll be led astray and taken advantage of by society unless they wield a power stick of their own.

Its considered that some blacks let "gangsta" elements get to their head and carry that around too much. But that women are immune to letting self-inflating bravado get to to them. There's plenty examples to indicate otherwise. But mention that and the sisterhood sorority already have your penis measured up and will take you down. Its why you got to tolerate these kinda things.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Well, what do you think happens more often in domestic violence cases? Wife beating or husband beating?

13. Yonkers

Physical ain't the only way to beat someone down though

1 person likes this.
  14. dback816

dback816 Member

Maybe, but it's the only one that counts in court....most of the time

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is not emasculation. You did say "being led around by women" but I thought it was funny to write emasculated followed immediately by "sports obsessed" and "beer chugging".

Generally, commercials seem to paint men in a dumb light when dealing with domestic issues (a direct result of the sexism of early television and radio advertisements telling women what they are, what they need, what everyone thinks about them, etc.).

It should also be pointed out that you are seeing some kind of blatant sexism when the advertising field is still dominated by men (creative directors and up).

Finally, in the commercial you selected it seems to be more a message of women being sensitive b****es about their weight, etc., and men needing to know when to stop so as not to trigger a psychotic breakdown and/or attack.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Once you understand that . . .
    . . . advertisement is all about making you dissatisfied with everything it possible can

Then you will understand it is not overly sexist
    cause it is attempting to do the same thing to everyone

Rocket River

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I miss the days when we could drag women back to the cave by their hair. Good times.

18. False

False Member

Rant

Yeah, it is very difficult being a white male in America - a comedy written by a white dude is keeping me down. There is an enormous gulf between making fun of the powerful and making fun of those who are legitimately disadvantaged by through stereotyping.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Even NON-extreme advertisements, the point of them ALL is to make you FEEL INADEQUATE how you presently are.

And its THEIR product or service will make you BETTER.... so you can give up your cash to them of course.

Break you down to build you back up. Definitely take advertisements with SOME grain of salt.

My thing is, with ANYBODY even if its woman thats displaying negative attitudes, its about calling it what it is. I'm not going to excuse a feminine bad character traits because men were way misoginistic the 40's and back. I don't believe in giving women a crack at 1,000 years of overt misandry.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If being a man is whining about how a chick flick portrays men, then I'm not sure I wanna be a man.