1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rant]DPS

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Bird, Apr 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. The Bird

The Bird Member

I mean no offense to anyone who works at a DPS but is it me or is the DPS the worst place to be? I waited in line yesterday for 4 hours just to get my driver license renewal!! I know I wasn't the only one complaining seeing as just about everyone in there were on their blackberry or iphone complaining that they had been waiting for 3+ hours.
    What made me even more pissed off was I looked in the back and I saw 3 of the workers just sitting there and chatting about what their plans over this weekend I mean really?! You have a room filled with people and you're not doing your job.
    The worst was yet to come. As I sat there waiting for 4 hours around noonish a teenager came in and took his test and he failed it. At first I thought nothing big of it until I over heard the workers talking and about how he drove his dad F-250 truck and they failed him on the parallel parking section for being 18.7 inches off(the driving tester actually took out a measuring tape from what everyone told me) the curve keep in mind the legal amount of space off the curve is 18 inches. Like really 0.7 inches off whats the big deal and not to mention he drove a F-250. I have difficulty parallel parking and I drive a min-suv. So if I was in his position I would have made a big deal about failing the test but I give him props for keeping his cool. Seeing as I was fairly pissed off for him.

/rant :grin:

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

People who work at the DPS are the scum of the earth, and I mean that with complete offense

The first time I went there when I was 16, the fat ass working at the counter stole 20 bucks from me. I had to pay for something so I gave her the 20, she then said I was missing something, so I came back a second later and she asked for my money again. I argued with here and some dumbass cop came over asking if there was a problem. I said she took my money and the cop ordered me to pay her again

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I'm sue you had a reason, but I must ask.....why not renew your license on the internet?

4. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

DPS, Post offices, etc. They are MOSTLY all the same. Most of the workers don't give a damn and try to get through the day with the least work possible. I can't stand visiting any of those places as I see how rude those workers can be.

5. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Gotta update the picture I'm assuming.

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I sympathize with you. It's hard to suppress sometimes feeling superior to people who work there including some people who are waiting in line with you.
    The color of your skin, the way you talk, the clothes one wears, and the car you drive may put you at odds with everyone at the establishment.

In the end, it helps to be patient and understand that its the nature of a very large beast (the DPS/govt) and that there's little you can do to change it.

7. The Bird

The Bird Member

I had to be in the area for the day so I decided I might as well renew my license during the day seeing as no one should be there during the day but to my surprise it was packed! Lesson learned renew online

8. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

try living in Austin where there are like 2 DPS in all of the city, it's a nightmare lol

9. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Every other renewal must be done in person, or at least that was what was told to me by the DPS, and the reason I waited there for almost 4 hours last Friday.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Not true... you can do any renewal online. You just have to have an updated picture after every other renewal, but you can get one and then digital scan it online. So, yeah.

It really depends on the DPS you go to. The one near Gessner is really busy, they are really slow during lunch time and slow later in the afternoon, but in the mornings they're usually quick from what I've heard. The one in Rosenberg is quite fast at every part of the day. I think they're just lazy though.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Anyone who goes to the DPS should always be prepared to be there for at least half a day. I always mentally prepare myself to sit there for at least 2-3 hours before I go. But something about that place just sucks so bad, especially if there's not a single hot chick to look at.

I had a friend who drove my car for his driving test and he got the parallel parking in one move... and naturally the lady failed him :rolleyes:

Luckily I never had to take the driving test. I did the home school thing where you can just write in fake minutes that you've practiced driving.

I actually renewed my DL down by 45 and some odd place. I don't think it's there anymore. Took me about 15 minutes.

12. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I haven't been to the DPS in a few years, but the one on Grant and 249 is sooo frustrating. Lines out the door, that place needs to be remodeled

13. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Waiting at the DPS is hell, especially if your sick.

I had the fever and cough and ended up being stuck there for like 5 hours. The lady behind the counter took forever with my driving record to come through and treated me like a r****ded ape monkey!

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If you're anywhere near SW Houston, this is the better place to go to. Nice drive and you can have 5 guys (burger) or smashburger on the way back.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Try calling them on the phone, it's almost as bad.

16. eg85

eg85 Member

249 and Grant is awful even in the day but I renewed it online and it was like months expired no new picture needed. and this pic was from when I was 18

17. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

just wait til health care is run by the govt. that kind of customer service can kill

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

When I lived in Galveston, the longest wait I experienced was around 10 minutes. Small office that only the locals seemed to know about.

19. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I had to renew this last January. I took the gamble that there would be less people there on Christmas Eve. It paid off, I was in and out in 30 min.

I'm still upset that the Dacoma Office has been closed for what seems like years. Online it says it's open, but it's not.

20. Southern Select

The future of health care.