1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RANT]Does Houston Not Care about Sports Outside of Football?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

You know, its funny, I've been a Texans fan since day 1. I've been through all the bad years, very rarely did I see anybody representing the Texans. People just didnt really care about the Texans.

Recently, these past two years, Texans have had some success and now everybody and their ****** momma is a Texans fan. Everywhere I go theres Texans fans everywhere with their texans hats, shirts and jerseys. I have neighbors with texans signs, banners and flags on their front lawn!

Make no mistake, Houston is a bandwagon town. All these bandwagoners that claim to be "fans" are really the worst kind of people. I get so annoyed by all these bandwagon fans b****ing about the texans. Where were they when the texans were 4-12, 6-10, 2-14?

If the Texans continue to lose watch em jump ship and go back to watching the Cowboys.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The 2-14 texans had better rating then the astros when they were having a NLCS game.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

When it comes to watching non rockets and non texans game, I've started to prefer NFL > NBA. NBA doesn't really heat up until the second half anyways. Good teams coasting for a while. You can't really coast in the NFL.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

What I meant by that was that it's a one dimensional town when it comes to the sports attention. That can't be said for a lot of other sports towns even when Football is #1 in those towns. Just shows how much bigger football is in Houston than any other sport.

#44 ItsMyFault, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Football is king in 90% of this country. NBA, aside from a few choice cities (LA/Boston/NY/CHI) has traditionally lagged well behind Football, Baseball, & even NCAA BB (During conference and NCAA tournaments).

Just the way it is. Houston is no exception, and like most of the south, is even more skewed towards Football than the rest of the country.

The Rockets need to prove it on the court, likely by making the finals, before the city of Houston will be in love with them.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It's like that in every city. No one is lining up to watch the Jaguars in Jacksonville. Of course people will be more invested in a team that is actually good.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All major cities, besides St. Louis, with both a football and/or baseball/basketball team are talking football right now.

Maybe Pittsburgh is a little skewed towards the Pirates right now, but plenty of Steeler-centric talk still dominates.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'm a Rockets fan, but in general for NBA games I don't really care to watch until the 4th quarter.

9. mario_v

mario_v Member

What about the Browns? Browns have been a joke for a very long time. The last time they made the playoffs was over a decade ago. Yet, the fans are still passionate, they still show up to their games knowing that their team will end up dissapointing the fan base.

Eagles as well. Eagles fans are intense fans. They love their team no matter what. Sure, they cuss and fight all the time but they still love their Eagles

10. Nook

Nook Member

Every town is a "bandwagon" town.... go to Chicago (a great sports town) and you will see Blackhawk jerseys and Bears jerseys everywhere...... 5 years ago you never saw Blackhawk jerseys anywhere and amazingly when the Bears win, everyone wears their gear.....

It is just how it is.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Cannot agree..... go to Chicago and you will see that 90% of the attention is on the NFL and the Bears..... hell, the Packers get more attention than the Cubs or Bulls.... It is big everywhere now, the NFL rules... for better or worse.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As a Texans fan, why in the world would this piss you off? :confused:

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

I wouldnt say it pisses me off, I just strongly dislike bandwagon fans. Those are the same people that never followed the texans until they started winning. The same people that care about their football team only when it's "convenient" for them.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... every city has this.

I know plenty of people who used to be Astros season ticket holders 10 years ago. Now, the team is not so good and the attendance is minimal... but the same people will be back once the team starts to get good again.

None of them "stopped" being fans... its just that you'll rarely find a fan-base that support the team with the same fervor in losses that they do when they are winning.

Only difference between the Astros situation now and the Texans situation then is that the Astros have been around longer... for the Texans, once they became good for the first time, they generated a lot of first time fans. They'll go away when/if the team starts struggling again as well.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why would y'all ignore this:

I knew RACCOON wasn't real. :eek:

A gem! :grin:

16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

fairweather, not bandwagon.. every city is a fairweateher city.. even the one sport cities.. remember when everyone raved about jazz fans and their commitment.. well that arena was half empty ast year.. just like okc fans now during this run, give it 5-10 years and watch how those passionate fans disappear..

17. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

they actually draw very well, but there stadium is so huge it looks empty, they draw 60 thousand people a game.. which by nfl standars is low..

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bulls had pretty good attendance even when they sucked. The cubs have sucked for a 100 years and they still draw a lot of fans.

19. Poloshirtbandit

Sacramento Kings had one of the longest sellout streaks at one point back in the 90s and were terrible, but then they weren't competing against any other pro teams in the area either.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Houston & Texas: Football & Texans >>>>>>>>>>>Rockets Astros Dynamo