1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

(Rant) Confrontation at apartment complex

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by King of 40 Acres, Aug 20, 2016.

1. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Guy lost his right to an apology when he started with the insults. That's not neighborly behavior.

BTW, am I the only on who hates it when people hold the door open? It's almost like I'm being told to hurry up. It's a nice gesture and I always say thank you, but unless I'm carrying something it's completely unnecessary.

1 person likes this.
  2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

All you have to say in response to that kindness is, "Thanks, I'm cool."

All King had to say was "Sorry, we have to get this cat down quickly."

But if you prefer not to communicate with strangers it's probably not a great idea to do something that virtually anyone would find a rude gesture in pushing the button to close the door on someone you see coming.

3. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

The funny thing is I normally do hold the door open and the elevator door too. I guess I wasn't thinking straight at 1:30 in the morning. I would have apologized if the ******* had let me get a word in. By the time he was done going off I didn't want to try and smooth the situation over. He probably wouldn't have understood anyways.

4. Batman Jones

That makes sense. The guy is obviously an ******* and he obviously way overreacted.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Isn't the opposite elevator etiquette also true? For example, if I see a door closing I don't go sprinting towards it so I won't inconvenience everyone else on it. I just walk normally and catch the next one. If someone happens to hold it, great, and I thank them. If they don't, no big deal.

6. red

red Contributing Member

If he Leaves driving drunk and ends up killing someone would it it still be considered chicken **** to report?

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you live your life expected something in return for kindness you're doing it wrong.

Just don't do it then. You sound like a douchebag that want people to thank them for being nice. **** that.

8. Batman Jones

It's surprising to me how many people find common courtesies controversial. If someone holds a door for you of course you thank them. If someone holds a door for you and you walk through it without acknowledging their kindness you're freaking RUDE.

I agree that ideally we do kindnesses with no desire of anything in return. But a thank you is not exactly expecting a lot in return.

I find it is almost always very obviously super-wealthy people that walk through doors one holds and don't say thanks. They are used to being waited on. When I hold a door and am not thanked, I have no issue saying "You're welcome" after which they ALWAYS say thanks. I don't feel like I'm scolding them so much as reminding them that we are all people and that when we are polite with one another there is a reasonable expectation of politeness in return.

I mean I don't shout "You're welcome" in some loud way meant to embarrass them. I say it at in my normal, quiet voice, almost as if to myself, but I do mean it as a reminder that I am a person that just held a door for you and I don't work for you and you really should say thanks.

9. Batman Jones

Caveat: My mother banged politeness into me and now I show it always and I expect it in return. I tell clerks to have a nice day more often than they tell me the same, which is fine with me. I typically love people, all people including strangers, and that is my default. I want to be kind to strangers. But yeah it does get under my skin when they ignore those very small kindnesses as if they expect them.

10. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

That's very admirable, but it's important to remember not everyone can bring their A game all the time when it comes to social interactions. There are a lot of spoiled dbags, but there are a lot of people going through some things, too. I try not to let those type of things get to me.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He was an a-hole about it, but nothing would make him understand that he was an a-hole better than you explaining to him what the situation was and how it wasn't ok for him to assume you're just an a-hole.

I'm sure he will not only understand, but you'll have made a friend even if you don't want to be friends.

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

just make sure you dont get drawn into a harebrained scheme with your wacky neighbor where you dig up the dudes dead bird from the pet cemetery to recover a key!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

true, but how many of them would have approached the guy when he is with his girl and call him a punk ass b****?

to me, thats where he lost the high-ground and his right to an apology.

14. Dei

Dei Member

Does he have wife? Sex her.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No need to start a new thread about it, but today, I was at a gas station with just a few parking spots that was very busy, lots of cars. A parking spot opened up right in front of me and I had my turn signal to turn into it when a car sped in there straight and cut me off. I was surprised...the guy jumped out of his car and headed to the gas station. I honked my horn briefly, he just kind of flipped me off. Since we had nowhere to go, I just stopped the car in front of his and got out and just stood there. He came back out of the gas station already after a couple of minutes...I was curious what was going to happen. I guess he realized that he wasn't in a very good position, with his car blocked and me at 6'6, 220 lbs being much bigger than he was, so he immediately apologized and said "Mate I'm sorry I really had to run for a jimmy, I was dying"...that obviously totally de-escalated things, plus I had learned a new expression, some kind of English slang for going for a pee, I guess. So, no fight. Cool story bro.

16. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Love the Seinfeld reference lol.

I have thought about the next time I bump into this dude here at our complex. Could make for a super awkward elevator ride :eek:

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anyone else say "Please" and "Thank You" to Siri? I started about 4 months ago, and can't stop. Partly because I'm superstitious that Apple is tracking commands to Siri, and I'm hoping to win the first ever "Politest Siri Master Award" in Apple's global campaign to recognize politeness, but in reality they are secretly looking for a few people on Earth with The Polite Stuff to be masters for their alpha-series, human companion androids.

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

OP goofed and clearly this bothers him enough to take this to the Hangout.

Take the high road man. Apologize and move on. Case closed.

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

This. Apparently some people take elevators more seriously than others.

20. htownballa1622

I don't actually EXPECT them to say thank you but I agree with Batman Jones in that I may utter a "you're welcome" to them.

I get it. Who knows if that person just had to bury a relative or just got laid off? You can generally get a sense of how ppl are feeling in a situation like that.

I'm usually the one being polite so I'm not going to freak out in front of them for not saying thank you. So, no...I'm not being a dbag for just voicing my opinion.