1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[rant]Best Buy does it again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Oct 5, 2010.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

So i went into best buy today to pick up NBA2k11 and Beauty and the Beat on blu-ray and I am at the checkout line and I hand the clerk my best buy credit card since i get more points on my reward zone thing and she says its declined.

I thought it was strange I first thought maybe someone stole my identity on the card and maxed it out which would upset me greatly but I thought that would be weird. I've had the card since last year but my card was lost in feb this year and i was sent a new card. I havent had a need to buy anything at best buy (also wanted to curb my spending) in the last few months so I didnt activate the new card until the end of august.

On sept 21 I purchased a new blu-ray using the card and had no issues.

so I was talking to their credit staff wondering why the card was decline because to my knowledge there should have been at most a 30 dollar balance on the card since my account pays in full on the 15th of each month automatically. She said my account was closed on sept 23rd due to inactivity on the card.

I said what really? I asked her when was the last purchase made on the account? she said Sept 21. I asked her again when was the account closed for inactivity, she said Sept 23.

I asked how they figured the account to be inactive when I just used it two days prior? She said she wasnt sure but if I wanted I could open a new account because they cannot re-open this account.

The lady said the same thing there was nothing she could do so i hung up on her mid sentence because clearly she was just spewing the same lines over and over.

I paid for my stuff with my normal card and told the clerk there what happened and she looked at me and said "yeah they have a bunch of idiots over there I see this happen all the time if you dont use your card at all in like 6-8 months they just closed the account and they send a letter that looks like junk mail about it. we have like a few people every week not know their card is declined but thats especially stupid if they closed it two days after you bought something"

i am through purchasing anything at best buy again even if i have to spend a few bucks more getting something at target or toys r us I will. Refuse to give them any of my business in the future. Its not the first time I've been upset at Best Buy but it will be the last time now for sure.

/rant

thank god there is a Rockets game tonight to ease my mind

1 person likes this.
  2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Boo @ store credit cards. I've never had one, but I've known several people to have 'em and have terrible experiences with them. I wouldn't touch one ever.

That said, I worked at Best Buy for about a month one summer a long time ago (Geek Squad) and most of the people there have no clue what they're doing. The people in the corporate offices are potentially worse. It's no surprise that crap like this happens.

That said, I can't just stay away from the store entirely, especially when they're a 1-stop shop for most of my electronic needs (that I can't wait for shipping from Newegg, of course). They're sort of a behemoth like that. Fry's is too far for me to bother; not any other options inside the loop and west of downtown that I'm aware of.

3. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

I say this every time they screw something up as well. Missed shipped dates, Geek squad r****ds, return issues, etc. I end up always going back for something cause I need it and they are only one locally that has it. I hate Best Buy with a passion.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

ARGHHH!!!!! :mad: I want Beauty and the BEAT too!!!!!! I know it's "STEP UP meets Belle"... I want it now! Those bastards!!!!

:p

5. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

why on earth would they discontinue it for inactivity, to be dicks? :rolleyes:

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if they're gonna give me 0% interest, i'm gonna take it.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I heard that.

8. SunsRocketsfan

yup i had them price match a TV with Fry's and then i used the 0% interest on their card to buy a new flat screen TV.. :)
    But yes they do seem to screw up a lot of things..

oh well..
    How do you like NBA 2k11..?? Im still debating if I should get it.. As for Beauty and The Beast BluRay, I have no shame in admitting I love that MOVIE! :)

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I worked for BB several years ago ... back then the BB Credit Card was actually all handled by a third party company and they basically slapped the BB name on it. I don't know how much control they actually have over managing the accounts. I'm sure all they see at corporate is the interest revenue it brings in.

My advice would be not to use store CC's, ever. It's one thing to finance a necessity like a house or car -- there is no justification for financing electronics, except maybe a computer.

BB gets a lot of hate because it's just too hard to keep that many customers happy when their are so many of them buying expensive items with a high probability of them breaking (as compared to other types of retailers). There is no way a dept. electronics store that large can not have rabid opposers ... it's just going to happen with the amount of employee turnover, bad seed employees, and nature of electronics.

10. The_Yoyo

well i'll know tonight when i get home to play after the Rockets game

there is a $10 off coupon for B&B just need to sign up for disney rewards if you havent already. I love that movie too, well all the disney movies from when I was a kid. Only sad thing is that I had the DVD of that movie which was actually worth a decent amount, probably not worth much anymore now since this is out unless there were features on the diamond dvd not on this release then it will still have some value for being out of print

SwoLy-D we're even for the spelling mistakes at least mine was done in a fit of anger :p

edit: DHR I originally got the card because I was thinking of getting a new tv for my parents on the 0% interest but they declined it (or more precisely my mom did, my dad wanted it) but i kept the card because of the minor purchases I made there i got double rewards points for it and it wasnt an issue since at most it was like 100 bucks I had to pay off. If it wasnt for the original tv purchase idea I wouldnt have gotten one of course.

11. MadMax

i have a BB card, and that's exactly how it is. it's issued by a bank..i'm blanking on the bank.

and my advice would be...take 0% financing and just make sure you don't screw it up.

12. SunsRocketsfan

you are going to the game tonight?? LUCKY!! We have to meet up again for a Lakers or Clippers game this year.

I have a VHS copy of Beauty & the Beast.. I dont think anyone even has a VCR to play it in now :) So I think I'll have to sign up for Disney Awards and pick up the bluray version

13. The_Yoyo

the bank on mine was HSBC its probably the banks policy either its pretty silly considering i had made a purchase on there 2 days prior to having the account closed.

either way i'll just order online if i need a piece of electronic equipment stat i'll go to frys

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Wait a minute, didn't you get the $10 off coupon from the Monsters INC deal? :confused:

15. MadMax

don't get me wrong..i totally get your frustration. i'd be upset about that, too.

16. The_Yoyo

MM: i dont care so much the account being closed I did rarely use it i just think its stupid to close an account for inactivity 2 days after I used the card. I understand their end if I am not using the card they have no potential of making money. Its probably better for me to have this reason now not to shop there, it'll only save me money in the long run

not going to the game watching it on tv at home :p

i also have a vhs copy its in storage at my parents place unless they gave it away (they very well could have) ...yeah disney rewards is free but the coupon is only good till the end of the week. so act quickly (besides most sales for the blu-ray are this week till it goes back up to the MSRP of 34-39 bucks)

17. The_Yoyo

18. SunsRocketsfan

do you live in Houston now??? How are you getting FSN Houston? Satellite?

19. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Just like everything else in America - they have the money, so they're in charge.

...and it's getting worse every year. Everytime something like this happens, some petty bureaucrat at a bank or a store does something ridiculous or unfair, just imagine them screaming in your face, "WE HAVE THE MONEY, SO WE'RE IN CHARGE!"

Because that is precisely what's happening.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Glad you're finally off BB. I loathe that place for their shady practices and poor customer service.