1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RANT!!!] Apartments and Television Options

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Jul 29, 2010.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Ok so I'm extremely pissed. 02/09 we moved to Williamsburg, VA and were having our DISH network installed into our new apartment. They come out, see that the FRONT of my apartment is facing the southern sky, and can't get a clear view for signal so my service is canceled.

So, I have to go with Cox. Paying a good $70 a month just for TV alone (would be $44 a month but all the extra taxes and fees, it's over $70)

After my contract is up,I cancel because I just can't afford it anymore.

So Dish is back running an incredible deal ($32 a month total for HD DVR, local channels, all fees included, free installation) and they tell me if they had problems before then going through a RETAILER would be my best bet. So I do. And he just left...

Well my apartment has TOO many restrictions. He COULD put it on a pole, but the complex won't let him attatch the wire to the building and it can't be flapping in the wind. So he says he could go through the cable box on the complex but that is OWNED by Cox and only Cox can access it.

So I'm guessing all the people that have sattelites in this complex live on the BOTTOM floor. Which really sucks because Cox is the ONLY other alternative.... in fact we can't even use an antenna. We are 30+ miles out from all directions of larger cities... the only channels we get with Antenna is PBS channel, and that is choppy....

This really sucks. Anyone else had these issues living in a complex?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

You can't put a satellite up at your apartment? How will you warn us of the coming invasion?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

who needs Cable/Sat if you can get anything you want on the Internet?

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Talk to apartment management about moving to another unit.

5. King of 40 Acres

This...

6. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Am I alone in wanting to watch television programs (mainly my local Redskins NFL team) in the comfort of my living room?

And don't suggest the whole laptop on my lap while I'm on the couch bit. Tried that and its not the same lol

7. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

This is a high demand area for apartments. We were on a waiting list for this one. This one was first available. We waited 8 months to get this one.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

forget about watching TV and just walk down the street to busch gardens :)

9. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Is cox cable?

So you're saying that Satellite is cheaper than 70 a month with whatever extras you were getting through Cox? apples to apples?

I'm guessing $50 a month base plus whatever you're ordering is pretty normal. I would be surprised if satellite is cheaper, but don't know really.

Sounds like you're ranting more about not getting your preference and glossing over on the cost prohibitive angle.... but that is assuming and I don't want to do that.

I don't get the details here, I guess.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

My Sat is costing me $34 a month with HD and HD DVR.

11. DieHard Rocket

It's pretty simple. You shouldn't be put on a waiting list with other potential renters since you already rent there.

Put in a request to move to the bottom floor (or wherever can use DISH). When one becomes open, you take the bottom floor and a new renter takes your current apt. Surely it won't be 8 months before a bottom apartment comes open ... unless there is another waiting list of people wanting to transfer there.

12. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

yeah CrazyDave, Sat. companies are lowering the bar to get customers right now... while alot of people in apartments like myself are being funneled into Cox cable who can charge an outrageous amount.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I hear you AlienBuddy. I just moved from Comcrap to DirecTV and am saving over $70 a month.

14. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I kinda like that nickname. If I ever get banned and you see that ID, you'll know who it is.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I love DirecTV and all, but I don't see how you guys are saving $70/month by switching to them. I guess they are doing some amazing deals for new customers.

I have Choice+, HBO, 1 HDDVR, and 1 regular DVR. My bill is around $100/month, and that is with free HD for the next 2 years.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

This. Accomodating you in moving out of one unit and into another is not cutting in front of anyone on the waiting list. It may take a couple of months for something to open up, but you may as well make your preference known now.

I'd also point out that apt management doesn't really like satellite dishes, from my experience working in one. They used to make rules against dishes (because they're ugly) until some court case said we weren't allowed to prohibit them. Plus, the management company may have a deal with the cable company where they get a kickback (uhh, commission) for every tenant they convince to sign up with Cox -- of course, that'd be a one-time commission, so they already got the money for you, and could score again if you switch to satellite and then switch back.

17. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Yeah that does make sense.... but my wife is home 24/7 with our new born, and I feel bad she is stuck watching the same DVDs over and over and over.

My hands are tied right now.

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Nope. My apt. complex has satellite dishes on top of their building that connect to all the apts. so we have our choice of Dish, DircecTV or ATT UVerse.