1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rank the PFs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 9, 2015.

?

Rank the 3 Rockets PFs best to worst

1. Smith > Jones > Motiejunas

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Smith > Motiejunas > Jones

9 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Motiejunas > Smith > Jones

34 vote(s)
    32.1%
  4. Motiejunas > Jones > Smith

26 vote(s)
    24.5%
  5. Jones > Motiejunas > Smith

25 vote(s)
    23.6%
  6. Jones > Smith > Motiejunas

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Obviously one of them is out with an injury now, but lets leave that aside. Judging by, if healthy, how good you think they'd be for the team right now, how would you rank Josh Smith, Donatas Motiejunas and Terrence Jones best to worst?

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Dmo, Jones, and Smith are all extremely inconsistent but one of them usually has a good game while one is average and the other is non existent.

Jones is probably the best though.
    Dmo second and Smith 3rd.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Dmo = Jones = Smith

DMo + Jones + Smith = Best PF rotation in the world

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

for this team its jones, motie, smith
    individually jones, smith, motie

i hope smith agrees to a cheap contract. he gets to shoot 3s and unlike any other season he makes them here. a lot of pressure off him coming off the bench. cmon smith, stay with ur high school buddy

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Despite Jones's total no-show yesterday, I'd still have to rank him first from what I've seen from him this season.

DMo has made major strides this season so he's 2nd for me.

Smith at his best is better than both of them, but he's too inconsistent and makes too many bone-headed plays for me to put him ahead of either Jones or DMo.

I do like how he has been playing for us though.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

smith has a chance at being the best pf in the playoffs. he's the most talented of the three. im still not underestimated the rockets int he playoffs just cuz of the roster on paper. too much talent that has build some kind of chemistry with the team

7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Yeah it's a weird type of symbiosis, I don't think there have been many times when they were all crap or all very good at the same time. So hard to rank.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

dmo is also the projected backup center. But it's more about how he presents a different look, he's the only guy in our front court anyone trusts outside 3 feet and he's one of the best players in the nba in that 3-10 foot deadzone with his flippers and stuff

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think if Jones pulls the no-show again we gonna be in trouble!

It's weird, but it seems like when he is not injured, Motie plays poorly. When Motie is active, Jones excels. But when Motie is inactive, Jones coasts.

Seems Jones likes the competition for a spot, Motie not so good on competing for a spot. But with no competition, Jones sux and Motie excels.

Start Capella at PF next game, then we get 'good Jones' the rest of the way?

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Smith COULD be the best but the effort just isn't there.

Motiejunas can't rebound.

Jones seems to either be the 3rd best player on the team or an absolute scrub depending on the matchup. He doesn't really have a post game to speak of like DMo or even Smith. Right now he is a motor/garbage guy, with great potential.

It was hard to rank them but I went with Motiejunas-Jones-Smith.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

1. DMo

2.Jones
    3.Smith

12. j3i

j3i Member

Even if we never feed Motiejunas the ball in the post, he's a plus on offense. Even if he doesn't block shots, he's a plus on defense. Overall, he just plays smarter than the other 2. Only thing I can complain about is his rebounding which is as bad as Patrick Patterson's.

13. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

They're about equally effective but with different skill sets.
    A rotation with all three of them was stronger than the sum of the individuals. Also better than any other rotation excluding any of them

14. awc713

awc713 Member

why are we not ranking capela tho

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

16. dje243

dje243 Member

DMO > Smith > Jones

On offense Jones can't create his own shot or pass. His only option is to get a favorable matchup, face up his guy out near the perimeter, and then run straight at him and hope nobody comes to double. When it works it looks awesome but it's not a very reliable way to score. He's good in the PNR but so is every other big on the team (outside of Dorsey). He can't/doesn't pass. He can crash the glass pretty well when he puts the effort in. But all in all he brings nothing to the table that other bigs on the team don't do better. Smith is better at the things Jones does in almost every way. DMO is the only big who you can just give the ball to and let him work. He's also an excellent passer (not as good as Smith though). DMO is someone teams have to double in the post who can actually make the pass (or sometimes make the hook anyway). Jones when doubled looks so panicked... It's almost always a guaranteed turnover.

1 person likes this.
  17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

All around??

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

1.DMo
    2. Jones on a good day

3. Smith on a good day

4. Smith on a bad day

5. Jones on a bad day

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a center, this was for PF's.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i see dmo as a center who's best when playing next to jones or smith.

dmo is a good post defender which compliments jones and smith's weak-side shot blocking abilities. dmo is also the best post scorer on the team, which compliments smith's new 3 point shot (jones still has to get better at this)

overall i think dmo is the most important for us of the 3, but back issues don't go away, so i'd attempt to trade him this summer for a PG upgrade, and retain smith and jones long term.