1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rangers, Marlins nearing Beckett/Blalock trade

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Cat, Nov 19, 2005.

1. The Cat

The Cat Member

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/13211264.htm

Not sure what to make of it. From the Astros perspective, it can't hurt. The best case scenario for the Marlins in terms of returning to contention would be for Beckett to stay healthy and for Lowell to return to form. As good as Blalock is, to eliminate two arms like Beckett and Burnett in one offseason... the Marlins won't be nearly the same.

Although the Rangers will suffer at third, Beckett would give them some stability in the front of the rotation that they haven't had in some time. Again, it all hinges on Lowell. If he proves that last season was a fluke, it's a very solid deal for Texas.

At the very least, it's interesting. You don't see established young talents like Beckett and Blalock traded all that often, especially in the same deal.

2. Two Sandwiches

I don't think Texas should give up Danks. I'm not sure how good the other guy is. If they can somehow end up giving up just an above average prospect, it will be a good deal. If they give up Danks, somehow, I like the Marlins' end.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing that Becket has had injury problems in the past, this seems like a typical Rangers type move that will end up biting them in the ass. I think they will regret it, but you never know.

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i can't be made at the rangers for actually trying to acquire young pitching, but beckett hasn't been able to stay healthy EVER. then on top of that, trade one of the premier pitching prospects in baseball. dumb move if they go through with it. keep danks and blalock, and pass on an injury prone, up and down pitcher.

5. BMoney

BMoney Member

Beckett's injuries aren't exactly serious, though. I would take my chances with him. The question is, how good are those pitching prospects they are giving up?

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

7. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

danks is one of the top prospects in baseball. a fastball in the mid to high 90's with very good location. i would rather keep him than pick up beckett. danks will be ready in a year or two and you don't have to lose your all-star 3B.

8. BMoney

BMoney Member

If the upside on the farm is as good as Beckett then I agree that it would be smart to keep them and Blalock since Lowell has a hefty contract and seems to be on the wane. I just think that Beckett has such dominant stuff that he is worth the gamble almost. His chronic injuries aren't of the Kerry Wood variety, he's still young and he has postseason success.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I guess it's Danks for the memories.

Thank you. Thank you very much!!