1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Randy Bullock

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

With the new extra point distance, teams are going to look for kickers that are super accurate from that distance. Over the past five seasons, NFL teams have made about 93% of their field goals when attempted from the 33 yard line.

2. Summer Song Giver

Houston franchise in a nutshell, 4-5 year invested in a kicker that sucks when it counts and most times when it doesn't.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

OBrien made a significant mention of his performance or lack thereof...in the post game presser...writing is on the wall. Fat boy better get his act together. We were lucky to come away with a win against a really bad Bucs team...

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So if he continues to suck, we can't do anything about it because we have other problems? That makes no sense.

I'm not going to overreact and am willing to give him more than a couple of games, but this is the last year of his contract. If he struggles like he did 2 years ago, it costs us nothing to move on. If he is indeed a problem, it's an easily correctable one and the fact that we have other issues in no way prevents us from addressing this one. We can't go out and get a new QB, but if our kicker starts costing us games, we can probably find somebody out there who can do the job better. I'm not saying it'll come to that. But if it does, we have the ability to make a move like that.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He's hoping not to miss instead of confident he'll make. He has fear/fail in his eyes. You can see how fragile he is and for that he shouldn't even be in the league let alone worth a 5th.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Their Guy sucked yesterday
    but he a rookie . . .. so he gets a mulligan

Rocket River

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien's reaction after Fat Randy missed his second extra point of the game. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TBvsHOU?src=hash">#TBvsHOU</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/houstontexans?src=hash">#houstontexans</a> <a href="http://t.co/janarvirCX">pic.twitter.com/janarvirCX</a></p>&mdash; Joshua Stewart (@joshlstewart) <a href="https://twitter.com/joshlstewart/status/648226018323333120">September 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How did Bullock have a better year than Tucker last season?

Tucker didnt miss 1 field goal under 50 yards...he was 25 for 25.

Bullock was 26 out of 30.

As far as 50+ yards, Tucker was 4 of 9...but I dont count it when the team attempts a 60+ yard kick at the end of the half or game. I think they even almost attempted a 70 yarder with him.

Tucker had a better season than Bullock last year...and will have a better season every year from here on out. He's just a much better player and it's not close.

9. SuraGotMadHops

He always looks so scared. Anytime he knows he's about to kick he sharts his huskies.

[​IMG]

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Let's see, Tucker kicked fewer field goals, had a lower overall percentage, and missed more than half of what he kicked over 50 yards. Bullock hit the same number of long kicks in almost half as many attempts. Bullock was much better from long distances, and hit a better percentage overall. Literally the only area where Tucker was better was between 20 and 39 yards, but beyond 40 Bullock was much better. Statistically speaking, Bullock was slightly better than Tucker last season. I really don't see how you can argue that.

Do I think Bullock is the better kicker? No. At this point, Tucker is the better kicker, but to say it's not even close is just flat out inaccurate. The blind hate for Randy Bullock is unjustified. He is an average kicker at this point for his career, but he had a good season last year. That being said, he needs to kick it up a notch this year or he will be gone. He is not having a good 2015.

11. rezdawg

The ONLY reason Tucker had a lower percentage was bc the Ravens attempted 60+ yarders with him. Again, he was 100% at kicks under 50 yards...and hit 4 above 50 yards, while missing some attempts that were long shot, desperation shots. You dont hold that against a kicker because he misses a 67 yard kick.

Tucker didnt miss from 40-49 yards...Bullock did miss. Therefore, if you are talking statistically, like you mentioned, Tucker was better. In fact, Tucker completely dominates from 20-49 yards. He did not miss one of those last season...therefore, statistically speaking, it is IMPOSSIBLE to beat him.

And again, you cant say Bullock was better at 50+ yards when Tucker is firing away at 60+ yards. It's not a fair comparison. They both hit 4 of them...the only difference is that the Ravens actually attempt 60+ yard field goals, whereas the Texans dont even try with Bullock. That's not Advantage:Bullock.

And Im not hating on Bullock, he had a good year last year and he's an average kicker overall. But, Tucker is better in every way. That's not a diss on Bullock...rather, we're trying to compare Bullock to an all-time great.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Agree to disagree. If he had hit any of those longer kicks, I would be more inclined to agree with you, but he didn't hit a single field goal longer than what Bullock did last year. The fact that they trotted him out there to try doesn't mean anything if you don't hit them. And not to nitpick, but Randy also had a longer average kickoff distance than Tucker did, so the difference in leg strength isn't that dramatic either.

Look, I get that it's chic to hate on Randy Bullock, and I get the whole he's an Aggie so I have to hate him thing, but all I am saying is that he's not as bad as people try to make him out to be. That's all. And when people try to make comparisons, and the numbers don't add up, it's not fair to Bullock to ignore the facts. If he keeps it up, they should consider cutting him if they can find someone out there who is better. I think that would be harder to do than most people would like to believe though. I'd rather have Tucker, he's the better kicker, but it's not as obvious as you're trying to make it.

13. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Randy isn't a bad kicker. He's actually pretty accurate. Just experiencing confidence issues. It happens. Kicking on turf had an impact on all kickers yesterday so he'll have to get use to that. He hasn't played on turf in ages - probably since high school.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Doesn't our practice bubble field have fieldturf? That's really not a valid excuse.

16. rezdawg

Im not hating on Randy...and I can easily say that him being an Aggie has zero impact on my analysis of him. He had a good season last year. The key for him being on this roster is that he cannot miss extra points. He's missed 2 in 3 games and that is completely unacceptable. He cant do that anymore, that's all. Has nothing to do with not liking him as a person, as an Aggie, etc...

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's missing 33 yard extra points.

Also, not buying the turf issue... the practice bubble is turf, and I'm pretty sure he's taking some kicks there.

I'm not saying he's absolutely dreadful... but I bet theres a few kickers out there without a job who could be doing better than him.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

The guy has one job and that's to kick the ball between the uprights. His previous season, where he went to college, and etc doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is if he can score points this season.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Wait..what?

He plays on turf all the time in the NFL. Every time he goes to Indy he plays on turf.

They play 7 more road games this season....he'll play on turf in 4 of those 7 games...plus all his remaining home games. He'll play more on turf than he will on natural grass.

20. Indaface

Indaface Member

Aggies take a deep breath no one is bashing Shane Lechler here as well here...Bullock hasn't earned enough goodwill with the team yet to be excused for missing Xp's and field goals.

If he has 5 years of solid kicking in place then people would be less worked up about it but one good season followed by a shaky preseason and shaky 3 games is cause for concern.

He needs to straighten it up or he needs to be replaced.