1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Of the youngsters - Sengun, Amen, Tari, Bari, and Whitmore are the guys I want to keep.

Everybody else is tradeable.

Y2JT, Holybats, fattz and 5 others like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Atlanta is looking to dump salary. Brooks does not fill that need.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Of course.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

We've been talking a lot about getting back Clint from the Hawks, but has anybody thought about Onyeka Okongwu? I doubt they would give him up, but he seems like he'd be great to back up both the 4 and the 5 spots if Tari ends up as our starting SF in the long term. Especially if he continues to develop and fully adds a jump shot (currently taking about 1 three pointer per game at 28%).

Fits our timeline better than most backup centers we've discussed and is already locked up long term.

Little Bit and Lloyd Estacio like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Okongwu is why they want to unload Clint. It would have to be a huge overpay. For the record, I don’t want Capella and Landale seems to be coming around a bit. We can get our backup in the off-season. Any moves we do now should be to get Amen and Cam more run by reducing FVV’s and Jalen’s minutes

ramotadab and DrNuegebauer like this.
  6. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Here's the two (realistic) deals I would pursue. I'm assuming that it's very likely we don't trade any of our top 8 guys or Brooklyn picks, we don't acquire anyone who pushes an of our top 8 guys down in the rotational pecking order, and we don't acquire anyone overqualified for the roles we're offering (i.e. Capela, Gafford, Brogdon etc.)

These deals actually consider the needs of the other team, unlike most deal ideas on here...

HOU receives: Luke Kennard, Jake LaRavia (via TPE)

MEM receives: Jock Landale, Brooklyn 2024 SRP (#38)

Luke Kennard is injury-prone, a little overpaid, and poor defensively, but he is a truly elite shooter and can operate as a secondary or tertiary playmaker on the offensive side. Memphis has luxury tax issues next season, and won't be picking up Kennard's team option this summer. Memphis also has roster spot issues and wants to get off of LaRavia's and Ziaire Williams' bad 2024-25 money ASAP so they can sign GG Jackson to an NBA contract and ease their tax burden. Houston does Memphis a favor and takes back LaRavia (which would otherwise cost Memphis a pick elsewhere) and sends Memphis an additional SRP to get Kennard's contract, which could be used as matching expiring salary next year if Houston wants to pick up his team option.

HOU receives: Isaiah Jackson

IND receives: Jae'Sean Tate, GSW 2024 SRP (#40), Future SRP (maybe)

Isaiah Jackson fits Houston's need pretty much perfectly: bench C who blocks shots, rebounds, and catches lobs, and is cost-controlled for the next few years. He's not quite good enough to play more than 10-12 mpg, and right now is Indiana's 5th big / doesn't see the floor with everyone healthy. If Indiana plans to re-sign Jalen Smith (which they should), Jackson has no future in Indiana. Tate fills a defensive bench 3 role that Indiana needs, so they'd probably value him at a SRP. Seems like a win-win, the only question is whether Indiana gets a better offer elsewhere at the deadline (unlikely IMO), or if they wait until the summer to move Jackson.

#1266 carl_herrera, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    Y2JT, BigMaloe, OremLK and 1 other person like this.
  7. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is the exact trade that I would do. Would be nice if we could get Reath too to help out this year.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No reason to do no. 1. Yes to no. 2

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Portland does not need another shooting guard. Would love Reath as backup center. If we give up Jalen we should sweeten the pot for Simons

10. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Kennard is the reason to do #1. This team is desperately in need of that type of role player in the rotation, one who can goose the offense of everyone else without having the ball in their hands (but can do some playmaking if called on). Holiday, Tate, Jeff Green minutes should be approaching zero, as intended when we signed Holiday and Jeff Green.

Sengun, Amen, Jalen would all kill to play in a few lineups with a movement shooter who hits 45% from three. Might be the first time in years that defenses would have to turn their head and pay attention to anything we do off-ball.

We're also trying to accumulate midsize 2024-25 expirings, to support our 2025 cap space plans and act as trade filler for this offseason and next trade deadline. Kennard suits that well.

Y2JT likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It’s ok for the price, but I think there are better options for that roster spot

12. raining threes

I would give up Eason and Tate to make this deal happen.

That's how much I value Dosunmu. I see him as equal value as Eason.I also see Drummond and Tate as equal values.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

The Blazers dont want Green, why would they? They have young guys at his position. It would be Tate/Landale/Oladipo/picks

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

After watching last night's Lakers Rockets game....the Lakers look even more thin than they did earlier in the season.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 095411.png

Not sure about what future FRP and/or protection needed, but Tate, Holiday, and maybe Bullock would be in the Lakers rotation. I know Lakers don't want to deal a future FRP hoping to build stockpile for the offseason (tradeable FRPs will go from 1 to 3 assuming NOP takes the 24 pick). Lebron and Davis are still so good and Russell is a one-year player for them. Makes the decision to punt because of a lack of depth a tough pill for them to swallow.

#1275 Joe Joe, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
    baller4life315 and OremLK like this.
  16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Doubt we can get an FRP for those guys, but if LA was willing, this looks good to me!

baller4life315 likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd assume heavily protected. Maybe it should be a swap. I definitely should have thrown in a good SRP such that it is mostly a drop of 10 or so spots in draft order than just a FRP outright. I really thought about just saying draft capital as the players outgoing would likely be wanted by the Lakers, but have a hard time figuring out what would be fair with the assets (or lack there of) the Lakers have.

There are too many teams that have little matching salary such that I think Holiday plus something (Tate, SRPs) may be able to get a really late FRP. The Lakers don't have many non-negative contracts to trade. I think their best bet is to go after guys like Holiday and Tate. I just don't know how many rotation level players that make small salaries that are also available. I'd probably keep Holiday and Tate if a team isn't offering a FRP or multiple really nice SRPs. I think Boston may be the best fit for a FRP for Holiday as their 2024 is going to be really late, but the Rockets would need to flip it.

OremLK likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kennard seems like a decent fit to me. I could wish for a guy a bit younger, but at least he's only 27. Would prefer him to Brogdon because there's a better chance he can stay with the core for a longer period of time if we wish.

What would you think about getting Xavier Tillman from them with Kennard instead of trading for a different backup center from another team? He is having a down season offensively, but he's dealt with some injury issues that have held him back, and the Grizz right now are just a terrible situation for any roleplayer defensive big to be in. He is a good defensive big, in any case--and definitely that "rim protector" type people have been crying for. (1bpg in only 20mpg.)

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ringer has this article that lists the Lakers assets - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/...ames-los-angeles-lakers-trade-deadline-future
    I'd draw the line on player contracts that have value at Reaves and Russell (also Lebron and Davis).

Picks they can trade now:
    • 2026 swap
    • 2028 swap
    • 2029 or 2030 first
    • 2029 or 2030 swap
    • Five seconds
    Picks in the offseason
    • 2024 or 2025 first
    • 2026 swap
    • 2028 swap
    • 2029 first
    • 2030 swap
    • 2031 first
    • Six seconds

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

2029 Lakers first top 12 protected for Tate+Bullock+Holiday.