1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

How is it a buy low when he's making a ridiculous amount of money? Trading for him will lessen our chances of resigning our own guys. He's got 3 more years at 130 million left. Where do we even have the salary to match that? Not to mention he sucks and Minnesota played better when he wasn't on the court.

Astrodome, xaos and saleem like this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Alot to unpack here.
    - "Buy low" in the NBA means the price to trade for him, not the amount he is earning.
    - Trading for him will not lessen the chances of resigning our own guys, they are restricted and the cap is jumping significantly.
    - The salary was laid out in the original post you quoted.
    - He doesn't suck
    - When he moved from Utah to Minny, his impact when down tremendously, not his ability. Like from high end all star, to slightly positive. This is a clue that Minny simply didn't know how to use him, hence the buying low. Worst case, you still get a slightly positive impact player.

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Of course it does. Our owner has proven time and time again that he refuses to pay the luxury tax. So we will not be resigning our guys with Gobert at 46 million.

I also don't think you can trade guys you just signed until December.

He absolutely sucks and there is no way to use him, cuz he's an absolute 0 on offense. And he can't defend the perimeter. Minnesota would have to give me 2 first round picks to take the contract. But they don't have any picks to trade cuz they made the worst trade of all time. When they shoulda traded for Mitchell.

Astrodome and peleincubus like this.
  4. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Yea, most of this is incorrect.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think Gobert makes sense on this team. A non-shooting rim protector type is going to fit poorly on a team that already struggles with spacing and hitting three pointers.

(For the same reasons, I've also moved on from the idea that Capela is a good fit now that we added Amen and Dillon Brooks to the rotation.)

If you're going to consolidate assets to upgrade at the 4/5 spots I think you want a good-shooting big man like JJJ or Myles Turner.

saleem and Ancient Moabite like this.
  6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Non-Rockets Trade

Modified my thoughts on a LAC - PHI - MIA - POR deal

LAC: Beard (PHI) + Tuck (PHI) + Nurkic (POR) + 2028 FRP via LAC

MIA: Dame (POR) + Batum (LAC) + House (PHI) + Preston (LAC)

PHI: Herro (MIA) + RoCo (LAC) sign Lowry after buy out from POR

POR: Mann (LAC) + Jovic (MIA) + Zubac (LAC) + Morris (LAC) + Lowry (MIA) + $$$ from LAC, MIA, & PHI to buy out Lowry + 2 FRP via MIA (2027, 2029) + 2 pick swaps via MIA (2028, 2030)
    Trade Morris prior to trade deadline. Trailblazers (1) clear cap (Lowry, Morris) + (2) 2 young prospects (Mann, Jovic) + (3) front-court player on smaller deal (Zubac) + (4) $$$ to buy out Lowry (+Morris) + (5) 4 FRPs via MIA (2 unprotected + 2 swaps)

Little Bit and DrNuegebauer like this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol which part. You don't remember all the hoops Morey had to do to doge the luxury tax?

Not resigning Ariza and replacing him with vet min contracts..
    The absolutely ridiculous NeNe contract with 100 incentives that got vetoed by the league.
    Then Shumpert not signing cuz we offered him that same stuff.
    Dumping Anderson and picks. List goes on and on.

I'll believe Tillman will actually pay the tax when he finally pays the tax. Cuz if he wouldn't pay tax for a 63 win team what team is he willing to pay tax for?

And if you think Minnesota wouldn't be better off with Mitchell you are crazy.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I really like this idea

It ticks the box for Miami in terms of outgoing.
    It works for Philly (even if Lowry isn't bought out)

The only observation I might offer is for LAC to throw in a pick and swap (or all their extant 2nds!) to Portland

jch1911 likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Even with the one year of Gobert and if BOTH Green and Sengun get huge contracts, we won't be close to the luxury tax.

As I said before, the cap is going to explode.

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Non-Rockets Trade (edit: meant to post 2028 LAC FRP to Philly)

Modified my thoughts on a LAC - PHI - MIA - POR deal

LAC: Beard (PHI) + Tuck (PHI) + Nurkic (POR)

MIA: Dame (POR) + Batum (LAC) + House (PHI) + Preston (LAC)

PHI: Herro (MIA) + RoCo (LAC) + 2028 FRP via LAC sign Lowry after buy out from POR
    Herro for Beard. RoCo for Tuck. Pick up FRP

POR: Mann (LAC) + Jovic (MIA) + Zubac (LAC) + Morris (LAC) + Lowry (MIA) + $$$ from LAC, MIA, & PHI to buy out Lowry + 2 FRP via MIA (2027, 2029) + 2 pick swaps via MIA (2028, 2030)
    Trade Morris prior to trade deadline. Trailblazers (1) clear cap (Lowry, Morris) + (2) 2 young prospects (Mann, Jovic) + (3) front-court player on smaller deal (Zubac) + (4) $$$ to buy out Lowry (+Morris) + (5) 4 FRPs via MIA (2 unprotected + 2 swaps)

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You want Gobert? What about a Jabari extension or Eason?

fattz likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Gobert's contract expires prior to any new contracts that would be paid to Eason or Jabari.

fattz and peleincubus like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's a real understatement. For his career he's 37% on 6+ attempts. I believe the league average last season was 35.3%.

FVV in his career shot: 38%, 41%, 37%, 39%, 36%, 37% and last season 34%. He's always taking an extremely high volume of these per minute. In the last few seasons he's top 10 in the entire NBA in 3PA. The season before last he shot 37% on 10 attempts. Steph Curry shot 38% on 11.7 attempts.

He has basically never been a below average shooter except last season. He's a really good shooter. You can reduce his attempts to numerically improve his %, but the truth is if you have a guy who can make 36% of 10 attempts per game that's an amazing shooter that you should be maximizing as long as he stays above 36%.

Corpusfan and dmoneybangbang like this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Just hard to be a roleplayer who doesn't play defense these days. Teams want two-way players. KPJ isn't a good enough creator to be The Guy, and he never will be, so he really needs to show he can put in the effort and execute on the defensive end.

saleem likes this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

Kia Jones is done with the Hornets. (He refuses to go to their camp) He checked a lot of boxes coming into the league a few years ago. I would like to bring him back to Texas. He was a few years away a few years ago.

jch1911 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

fattz and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

If it weren't for our recent experiences I would be fine with taking a flyer on Jones. As it is, I don't think we need anymore troublemakers right now.

fattz and CarlosGM like this.
  19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Robert Williams or Malcom Brogdon would be nice additions. I wonder what we would have to give up?

jch1911 and CarlosGM like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I heard Portland plans on keeping Robert Williams. Why? I don't know, because they already have Ayton.

jch1911 likes this.