1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

His contract is great for 2 more years and then likely a disaster, so he’s only worth it if your team is a legit championship contender now

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Collins is turning to one of those cases where for a player's first (couple?) hops; the next team think they can do better growing/using a player than the previous team.

Outside GMs are always tempted by this. Especially if player was a high draft pick # and low age. In Jazz's case, they had a hit with Markkanen, but a miss on Collins. To be fair to Ainge, he didn't pay too much; bought low and if someone doesn't pan out for your team, at least try to know early.

Pistons bought Bagley and Wiseman. Wizards got Poole. For the previous team, it takes just one buyer to offload.

#523 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  4. jb86

jb86 Member

Andre Drummond sounds good to me. Elite rebounder and his salary is $2-3 milli. 10-15 rebounds a game from him off the bench.

HD729, saleem, fattz and 1 other person like this.
  5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wonder what % of reclamations projects actually succeed?
    10%? Maybe 20%?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

I think it's low too; but teams still do it. It's the next girlfriend/wife syndrome where they "i can change him". :D

On the exceptions, most folks (including myself) saw Lauri as a throwaway in the Donovan deal. I thought he was another Dean Wade. Since he came from Bulls, him at Jazz was his 3rd team already. But he seized the opportunity.

Another young guy (abeit lower level), that I thought career would fade out of the league was Aaron Nesmith. He was deep bench on the Celtics. I underestimated Carlisle, and Rick knows how to use him, his value is much higher right now. Nesmith was also lucky that he fell into a good situation.

But those are more of the exceptions than anything else.

#526 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    jim1961 likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A change of scenery has does wonders for players on occasion.
    If the new team has a better coach and/or better culture, that probably improves the chances a bit I would think.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Kelly Olynyk would do a lot to stabilize our offense off the bench without taking minutes away from the guys we really want to have minutes. I'm still pounding the table to go get him. Also good insurance if Sengun misses any games (knock on wood).

Snow Villiers, BamBam and HTX Ninja like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Tate, Landale for Capella.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Danny Ainge is not a GM I would be eager to try and do business with.
    Otherwise, I agree with you.

saleem, OremLK and fattz like this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Collins was always going to be a terrible fit for Utah. He's a PNR big man with zero passers. He's starting next to Walker Kessler in the frontcourt, with Jordan Clarkson and a rookie PG trying to run the offense. That's a much worse situation than he had in Atlanta starting next to Trae, Murray, and Capela.

I think he'd do much better on a team like Indiana, which has Haliburton running the offense and a defensive center that can hit threes. Indiana's actually playing their own reclamation project in Obi Toppin in the exact same role Collins can play.

12. fattz

fattz Member

Maybe their younger players are pushing the “named’ player. Hendricks maybe able to produce at the same level for a fraction of the cost with a different demeanor.

13. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +3.4 ppg, +2.6 rpg, and +2.5 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Kelly Olynyk
    32 year old, 6-11, 240 lb C from Gonzaga
    7.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 4.0 apg in 21.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Luka Samanic
    23 year old, 6-10, 227 lb PF from Union Olimpija (Slovenia)
    3.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.3 apg in 7.2 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jock Landale
    28 year old, 6-11, 255 lb C from Saint Mary's
    1.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.6 apg in 8.8 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    28 year old, 6-4, 230 lb F from Ohio State
    5.7 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 17.8 minutes in 2023-2024

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Man, I’d give up a lot for Markkanen. A lot. Not sure we could outbid OKC, though.

OremLK likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not enough by any means. Capela won't like coming off the bench.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think we should put our chips on the table if he does become available. He is young enough to fit with our core and he is the perfect frontcourt partner for Sengun, at least on offense. Spaces the floor and cuts/drives in open lanes to the basket incredibly well. True 7-footer. (Jabari at the 3 and Dillon at the 2 could help with the defensive side, assuming Jabari wouldn't be gone in this scenario.)

Imagine a future lineup of Amen/Dillon/Jabari/Lauri/Alpi. That... just might do it for getting back into contention.

I would try to offer something like this:

[​IMG]

Steep price having to give up both Jalen & Cam, but it's Danny Ainge we're talking about, so I expect the price will be high. Especially if we're competing with OKC. Dillon and Jabari both need to start anyway, and it's better than giving up Amen.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

No to giving up Whitmore.

Corrosion and Snow Villiers like this.
  18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This, we would need to keep one of him or Jalen in this scenario unless we’re trading for a star guard.

19. TimDuncanDonaut

Was double checking, when current Jazz head coach Will Hardy was in BOS (1 yr), he was one of Ime's assistants. Prior to that he was still under Pops. All this to say, if Ime and Will thought alike, it's possible Ime (and his other ex-BOS assistants) still knows how use Lauri properly. Good for the Rockets.

On the trade itself, if Ainge asks for Amen (in place of Cam (Amen's salary is also enough, where Dipo's salary can be used in another trade)), would you still do?

#539 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 15, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    OremLK likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Personally, no--we have other shooting guards and forwards, we have nobody in the stable to play point guard once Fred is done. An extra pick instead--Maybe?

@Francis3422 @Snow Villiers I don't want to give up Cam either, but you gotta give something to get something. Jalen isn't playing well enough to be the only valuable young player in a deal for a young star like Lauri. For the reasons I mentioned above, I don't want to give up Amen.

I feel like Ainge would probably demand at least one of Cam, Jabari, Tari, or Amen. I don't see much chance of beating OKC's offer if we decline, and for my money, Cam is still lowest on the totem pole.

#540 OremLK, Dec 15, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    Snow Villiers likes this.