1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. R=$

R=$ Member

ouston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +10.0 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +5.6 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] D'Angelo Russell
    27 year old, 6-3, 193 lb SG from Ohio State
    16.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 6.3 apg in 30.2 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Max Christie
    20 year old, 6-5, 190 lb F from Michigan State
    5.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.0 apg in 17.6 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jeff Green
    37 year old, 6-8, 235 lb F from Georgetown
    6.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.6 apg in 15.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Victor Oladipo
    31 year old, 6-3, 213 lb G from Indiana
    No games yet played in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    28 year old, 6-4, 230 lb F from Ohio State
    5.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 17.5 minutes in 2023-2024
    Los Angeles Lakers Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -10.0 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -5.6 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Jeff Green
    37 year old, 6-8, 235 lb F from Georgetown
    6.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.6 apg in 15.4 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Victor Oladipo
    31 year old, 6-3, 213 lb G from Indiana
    No games yet played in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    5.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 17.5 minutes in 2023-2024

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bravo !

Shark44 likes this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

No I am talking about Jalen. It would fix everything. Our size having 6’10” or bigger front court and (in the future) 6’7” back court all being 2 way players with the coach we have is dynasty in the making. The roster is balanced in every way. Offense / Defense / Rebounding / Size. The core is the same age. Keep this grouping together and good things will happen.

Sengun—> Olynyk
    Hendricks—> Eason
    Smith —> Eason
    Brooks—> Cam
    FVV —> Amen

This would be in top 3, 9 man rotation the Rockets have ever assembled, IMO. The players ALL fit the coach, too. Even the new logo is great. What is not to like?

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Taylor Hendricks is such a weird pull @fattz

Dude has been up and down from the G-League, barely even played NBA ball yet, and when he has he hasn't been anything special. He profiles as a shorter, more-limited version of Jabari. I'm not saying he's Buster McBustington, we don't know yet, but I see no reason why he's anybody we'd specifically seek to trade for in our current circumstance--we already have two great young forwards who are shooting it well.

If we're going to trade Jalen for a forward, pull out the stops and go after Lauri or JJJ, don't go after a mid-first round unproven rookie.

Mathloom and MadMax94$ like this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

Lauri is in front of him at the moment. I truly don’t think JG4 can bring a much better return. His shooting, rim running, multi level defense along with Smith would be a nightmare to play against. Sengun would pair nicely be Hendricks can finish at the rim too. I am high on Hendricks because he shows great improvement rapidly consistently. If he plays to much in the league Green is not enough to get them.

6. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

You think the Lakers are going to give up their starting point guard who's been playing really well this season for 3 bench warmers?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's fair by himself, but as part of a package including picks and possibly one other young player you could probably get more, and I'd much rather consolidate our depth than add more at this point. I mean, we got Cam who's a great prospect playing in the G-League, and Tate has gotten to the point where he's barely getting minutes now despite his shooting being way better than last season.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Y2JT likes this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

So, with regard to the Nets, Bridges is likely untouchable, Claxton is a bad fit, and they probably want to hang onto Cam Thomas. But what about the other Cam -- Cam Johnson? He's 6'8 and is averaging 16 and 8 on a decent TS% of .58 while shooting .39 from 3s. He's also on a good contract through 2027 that deescalates. Would you be interested in trading for him? If so, what would you give up? I'd be tempted to offer Tate, filler, and their FRP this season (top 5 protected).

evo8lover likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jalen Green, Jock Landale

for

Kelly Olynyk, Ochai Agbaji, future 1st

12. fattz

fattz Member

Neither Green or Landale merit a FRP. Danny Ange is not doing this.

13. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Here's my big idea *flame suite activated*

Incoming Players

[​IMG] Mikal Bridges
    27 year old, 6-6, 209 lb SG from Villanova
    23.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 3.9 apg in 35.0 minutes in 2023-2024

Outgoing Players

[​IMG] Jalen Green
    21 year old, 6-4, 186 lb SG from NBA G League Ignite
    18.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.0 apg in 31.0 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jae'sean Tate
    5.7 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.1 apg in 17.8 minutes in 2023-2024

+ 2024 Brooklyn Pick
    + 2026 Brooklyn Pick
    + 2025 Swap in Brooklyn's favor
    + 2027 Swap in Brooklyn's favor

-----

Why does it make sense for Houston?
    Bridges is really, really, really good. He's an elite defender and an efficient scorer both on and off the ball, with a career TS of 60%. And he's a DAWG, he fits right in with the new culture personified by Coach Ime, Tari, Bari and Fred; lunchpail guys whose effort never wanes. At 27, his age should be seen as a positive, not a negative. He has no injury history whatsoever and his length (7'2" wingspan!) will give him a physical advantage every night even after he loses a some athleticism. He'll be able to contribute at this current level until at least age 31; with his style of play, maybe even longer. We've already seen what competent PLAYABLE veterans can do for a young team, let's add an elite one to shore up the weakest position in our stating line up.

As great as Tate is relative to his contract, he is a luxury at this point. His departure will open up more wing minutes in the rotation. Whether that time is filled with more run for Tari or spot minutes for Cam is up to Coach, but either outcome is a net positive for us. We'd be looking at the following rotation...

Fred / Amen
    Mikal / Holiday
    Dillon / Cam
    Bari / Tari
    Al-P / Uncle Jeff
    ... with a lot of lineup flexibility to weather injuries or bad shooting nights from our regulars. This is 50-win rotation.

I'm sure some people won't want to see us jettison that much draft capital but letting the picks go isn't really a big deal to me. We still have options to rebuild our pick stash over the next few seasons. We have the contracts of Jock, Jeff, and Oladipo to take on salary. If Amen takes a leap, then Fred becomes a great trade asset as a productive expiring contract. If Cam breaks out, then Dillion becomes a very traceable commodity.

Why does it make sense for Brooklyn?
    Picks baby! Honestly, I'm not sure if it makes sense for them. It all depends on how they feel about their chances in free agency. They are 13-10 with a clean cap sheet -- Simmons is their only bad contract and he expires next summer (2025). They might believe that a star player will just sign on the dotted line to get them to that next level, I have no idea. At the very least though, the picks give them multiple avenues to improve. With this move they can trade for that next piece or draft him, while still keeping the cap-flexibility to sign a big time player.

They also get an up-close look at Jalen, who could still end up as a great player. He just needs dedicated development time on a team that isn't necessarily trying to win every night; we no longer fit that description. As a bonus, he's a guy that could be a viewership / ticket draw for casuals and Gen-Z.

Roast me.

Y2JT likes this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

On the above, I would ask for 1 pick+1 swap, that Nets own, that are not theirs (from the Philly harden-simmons deal or Sun's KD deal).

As nice as Mikal is, he's likely at his ceiling already. So if top 3 core, he's your top 50 player, then the top 25, top 15 would have to come elsewhere.

The alternative is Stone able to flip Mikal for something better, which having a few lesser picks in reserve would help.

#514 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 14, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  15. MystikArkitect

Too much for Bridges. Jalen + their first this year gets it done I think. Absolutely not unloading the war chest for a fringe Top 25 player in his prime. Bridges is definitely an Ime guy though and would allow us to start shifting over to the Alpy/Jabari spearhead. Bridges can go back to his natural role as a role player/3rd guy. Championships are won by that guy though. Kris Middleton, FVV, Klay Thompson...to name a few.

jim1961 and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Id do Green+pieces and Brooklyn picks if we were able to keep the 2026 FRP.

ceonwuka likes this.
  17. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

I love it. He is the perfect player for the way ime has us playing both on and off the court. A massive upgrade over Jalen. Yes he is probably at his peak but he has plenty of years left at that level. He would be the perfect addition and I believed from the start if the season he would be top of our short list. The problem is Brooklyn and performing well as constructed. I had hoped they would be a lot worse and would so be incentivised to get their own picks back.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I know Jalen is the popular trading target, and for good reason, but man I'm not willing to risk trading him and having him blow up elsewhere. I get it, he's been a disappointment this season based on most people's expectations, however, there is something there with him. Lets be patient. I know, it could burn us and he may not have anymore value in the future if he becomes just a good role player. I'd hold on to him.

I would love to get another consistent offensive player though, that would be really nice. Who would come to mind?

xaos and jim1961 like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree with the sentiment. Would even add that his contract is attractive; one of the best in terms of length and mil/per year in the league. So it is possible he looks better in Ime's system and we flip him for a top 15. We know it's possible, since he was literally swapped for KD. That said I wouldn't give the full war chest, and overpay too much. There's still too many questions for our other guys, as promising as a few have become.

Y2JT likes this.
  20. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

But the war chest wouldn't be empty though... we would still have first round picks (as swaps) in '25 and '27 plus a good mix of productive players on tradable contracts.

I thought about holding back the '26 pick but I was trying to consider the move from Brooklyn's perspective. I'm thinking they would need to be properly incentivized to blow up a team that could likely make the playoffs this year.