1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Random Trade Ideas 2022-23

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 27, 2022.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No, it's probably much higher than that. We have the 20th pick. I don't think having the 19th will change anything.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

Now that Ime is coach, let's get some guys who knows what he wants...

Trade Green, KPJ, Tate, and clippers pick for Jaylen Brown.

Sign Grant Williams.

Sign James Harden.

Hopefully draft Victor...

Playoffs in a year...

jerryclark likes this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

Porter for Lakers FRP#17 makes some sense. Remember his contract alone has value. He alone in a controlled environment is good enough to trade by himself. Labron’s last chance. We close the KPJ book as a Rocket for good. The project ends without a blowout.

…Win / Win / Win / Win / Win…
    The third win is for Porter. If he doesn’t blow-up he becomes an all-star quickly.
    The fourth win is for Silas as he definitely developed him into a player when most would haven’t.
    The last win goes to Stone for turning straw into gold.

Aruba77 likes this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lakers don't have the cap space

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

At this point, I doubt trading the Nets back all their picks could land Bridges. But I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Ancient Moabite, Bo6 and xaos like this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

yeah this was a couple months ago. i'd give all the nets picks back for him now.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Oops, sorry! Should have checked the date, haha.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t think they own their pick nor do they have the cap space.

9. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I think if we get the #1 pick, we should keep Sengun and shop Green (for Jaylen Brown), because Wemby is exactly what Sengun needs at the 4 spot to not be exploited and be at his best. Not sure if we could slide Jabari into some 3 minutes, but we'd need an elite creator (Harden?) to allow that to happen.

With the #2 pick, I'd shop Sengun, because I like Scoot quite a bit more than Amen and Miller, and I think he needs an athletic C to P/R with. And I think he'd open up Green's game a lot, not unlike how having a PG made Devin Booker go from high-volume scorer on losing teams to All-NBA.

With the #3 pick or later, I think we need to look into trades first. If Jaylen Brown does want out, I could see Boston being enticed by an SF like Miller to develop with Tatum and eventually take Brown's place.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

S&T sending us Reaves or Hachimura?

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

The big question in my mind boils down to IF the Rockets get the 2nd pick and have to decide between Scoot or Harden. In my view you draft Scoot. His talent to contract ratio should be a major positive. Harden is going to demand a ton of money AND his talent is waining. He's far superior to Scoot at this time . . . . . But maybe if you take both you put Scoot as the backup to Harden as an apprentice which would greatly speed up his knowledge. I would just feel bad for TyTy. I think he's got game.

xaos likes this.
  12. Rokman

Rokman Member

So you're looking at a lineup of:

PG - Harden / Washington Jr
    SG - Brown / Christopher
    SF - Smith Jr. / Williams
    PF - Wembanyama / Eason
    ..C - Sengun / Garuba

Not a very deep bench but should be a competitive team. Would KJ Martin get resigned in this scenario?

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we trade Green for Jaylen Brown we will be the next Washington Wizards.

PatBev likes this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bro if we could get #17 for Porter, I’d do it; especially if we could package that pick for a good player or future draft pick. I actually think u are on to something. It’s actually a good move for LA. KPJ can really shine in the proper role with the right team. I’d still be willing to try to make it work as a 6th man in Houston, but #17 is a solid return at this point.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. Landry's Tooth

I would assume so to go over the cap.

But also, if KPJ is dealt, they would still be under the cap to sign role players such as a backup PG like a Kendrick Nunn.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

If the Clippers blow it up and start trading everybody, I'd steer clear of Kawhi and PG13, but how about something like KPJ + one of our FRPs for Ivica Zubac? Three-man rotation at the 4/5 with Sengun and Jabari sharing minutes at the 4 and Sengun and Zubac sharing minutes at the 5?

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I feel like I think about these small mutually beneficial trades more than those bigger star moves. Here's one:

Rockets:
    Covington ($11.7M)
    Bucks 2023 1st

Clippers:
    Tate ($6.5M)
    Rockets 2024 2nd

The Clippers shave $5.2MM in salary for moving a player who's not in their rotation anymore. They are in a tough spot especially with the new CBA with their salaries and need to shed money. This helps them without giving up anyone who plays. They give up the 30th pick this year for what could be the 32nd pick next year.

For the rockets this is primarily about betting on yourself that you will be significantly better than last year and guaranteeing you get the 30th pick assuming the 2nd rd pick will be closer to 40th. I'm also assuming we trade the 20th pick. Some may gripe that this team doesn't have minutes for another 1st rd pick but I would argue, if that's the case, we really don't have minutes for a 2nd rd pick.

I also just like Covington more for this team than Tate. He'll fill the same backup forward role but with size and ability to hit open 3s and will actually be the locker room nba vet that Tate plays on TV.

I like Zubac and he's worth a FRP just not any of our FRPs. He's the type of guy a contender trades their late FRP for.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sorry, I should clarify I meant one of the FRPs we own. Could be Clippers, Brooklyn, etc. Not our first pick in this draft certainly.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Lol I was thinking if Covington too watch the clips game. He’s been glued to the bench.

I don’t think we would have to give up for him. Especially not a good player. The clippers aren’t using him and would be open to salary dump.

I’d offer this years pick back to them For clippers pick next year(preferably unprotected) and Covington. We don’t really Need two first round picks this year

20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

The Raptors are about to go full tank mode. We should help them out.

Hou send Porter, KJ and a 2nd Rd pk (possibly a 1st)

Tor send OG Anunoby

They get a young upside foward in Martin and a dude who can put up #'s while contributing to the loss. We gain a nice 2 way vet that can hit the 3 ball. They move forward with the tank and still can seem exciting half the time.

Win Win for both.

#680 Believe It!, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023