1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I don't know if Portland wants to use their capspace that way but my understanding of it is that Gordon can be traded into a TPE and Wood/Tate/Nwaba into their cap.

D-rock likes this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Don't salaries have to match within a certain percentage when trades are made? I'm pretty foggy on the details but I'm guessing we would have to take back at least 20m in salary in that deal.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed.

But you are more guaranteed to get the guy you want while also allocating more development/real game minutes to your young players.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If the receiving team has caproom, no. However I could be wrong. To my knowledge this series of events would also create 2 TPEs for Houston. Onebwould be Gordons salary and the other the combined salary of Tate/Nwaba/Wood.

groovemachine likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hawks want wings that can score and play defense.

Sounds like EGo and Tate to me.

sirjesse and ApacheWarrior like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets trade Tate > Jalen Johnson

Willing to sweeten pot if necessary.

Tate + Bucks 2023 FRP > JJ + Hawks 2022 SRP

Jalen Johnson is long 2 way point forward who can give Rockets secondary playmaking, disruptions (steals, blocks, deflections, altered shots) and improved rebounding.

Same size as Paolo Banchero as good or better AST but had better 3P%, more importantly is switchable 1-5 and more natural more productive rim protector.

Johnson also has eye popping verticality and plays at breakneck pace in transition.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=paolo-banchero--jalen-johnson

#2546 D-rock, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    baller4life315 and groovemachine like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You are really banging this guys drum. Why was he so glued to the bench for the Hawks? Not being rude, just asking.

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hawks fans asking same thing.

But same reason playoff teams prefer vets, the experienced players are proven commodity.

And Hawks are loaded at the 4 with well paid vets ahead of JJ:

John Collins & Danilo Gallinari

And Hawks another FRP playing same position from previous draft - Onyeka Okongwo.

DeAndre Hunter also played small ball 4.

So JJ literally asked McMillan to play in G League instead of sitting on bench.

https://theathletic.com/3192618/202...rookie-jalen-johnson-crack-atlantas-rotation/

#2549 D-rock, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    ilovehtownbb likes this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s not just the Hawks, but he was limited at Duke, too. His measurables and individual highlights look good, but I’m not seeing anything that says this guy is ready to break out if weren’t being blocked (like Lowry when we traded for him).

I will say that I am not against a trade because it’s pretty low risk. But the Hawks need to make big changes. They are over the cap long-term and got very poor results from their investment this year. Moving a small contract doesn’t help them. If they believe in Johnson, their goal should be to move one of the big contracts and make room for him.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yeah to this. I don’t think we are a good fit as a trade partner unless they are going to unload Collins and in that case are we willing to eat his contract. Galinari maybe, but he is in the last year of his contract and not sure what good trading him out for one of our expirings would do. I guess if the Rockets thought JJ was better than anything we could get at 17 and the Hawks really wanted out on Gallinari, then i guess we could do something.

subtomic likes this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Posted this in another thread as a thought bubble that turned into a random trade idea, so here it is:

I wonder how possible it would be for us to get into a deal with BOTH Portland and Charlotte.

Something that gives Charlotte the opportunity to ditch Haywood and Portland the opportunity to collect a starter and still have some assets to trade for Jerami Grant (they have an exception they can use to take back his salary in exchange for picks)

Hou in
    PJ Washington (salary dump from Cha)
    Justise Winslow (salary dump from Por)

Por in
    Gordon Hayward (salary dump from Cha)
    Mason Plumlee (salary dump from Cha)
    KJ Martin (asset)

Cha in

Eric Bledsoe (salary matching, mostly NG contract to be waived)
    Christian Wood (to start at C for the run and gun Hornets)
    Jae'Sean Tate (the price of doing business for Houston)

Portland could possibly then flip #17, Keon Johnson and their 2025 Milwaukee 1st rounder for Jerami Grant (into a TE). Effectively they would walk away from the draft with Hayward and Grant, a backup C (assuming they choose to re-sign Nurkic as starter) and a backup forward in KJ Martin. It's probably the kind of moves they'd want to make to work around Lillard. Leaves them with the exceptions to spend (most likely on 3nD guys), and re-signing their own FAs (Nurkic and Simmons).

Charlotte an athletic frontline with Wood, Bridges, McDaniels and Oubre. Backup in Tate. And pick 15 to add to their stocks (they still have young long bigs in Richards, Jones and JT Thor). If they wave Bledsoe, they could have around 50-60mill in cap space to sign FAs (after extending the QO to Bridges). They could make a decent play at pretty much any of the top names on the market and see how they fare - their lineup would be fluid enough to accommodate anything except a point)

Houston is playing asset flipping here. Wood, Tate and Martin are being cashed in for pieces that shouldn't have a significant effect on the long term capspace. It also gets Wood/ Tate and Martin "out of the way" for whichever forwards or centres the Rockets might select with a host of draft picks.
    For arguments sake, they could take Banchero (#3), Daniels (#7), Eason (#13) and Koloko (#36). Or select Murray (#7) and Dieng (#13) - let Murray be the backup rotation big, and Dieng a full season in the GLeague. Let the mind roam free!

D-rock likes this.
  13. Rockets4Life13

Houston gets away with murder, Portland FO should be fired after that trade.

They trade pick #7 for KJ and 17? That would be terrible for them

red5rocket, dmoneybangbang and fattz like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Hou In: Davion Mitchell

Sac In: Alperen Sengun

Hou In: PJ Washington + 13 Pick (Williams or Duren)

Charlotte In : Christian Wood + 17 pick

Chamillionaire likes this.
  15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

#17+Tate+KMJ for #10.

Wood+Mil pick with lotto protection to CHA for #13.

We keep Gordon and Nwaba for Vet leadership.

#3 Banchero
    #10 Eason or Sochan
    #13 Either Duren or Williams if available.

16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So given the Rockets’ logjam at guard, I could see a trade where we send #17, Gordon plus someone like Matthews for Gallinari and Johnson. It would all pretty much depend on (1) whether Gordon is the kind of guard Atlanta wants and (2) whether they like someone enough at 17 to abandon Johnson. If however the Hawks like Johnson even half as much as D-rock, I don’t see them trading him when they have him locked up for 3 years at a rookie salary.

I was at the last game of the season and watched Johnson both during pregame workouts and his trash time minutes at the end of the game. He seemed extremely disengaged during both - he shot maybe half the number of warm up shots the rest of his teammates did, and they were mostly slow lazy threes. Given that Collins was out with an injury, he really should have been able to crack the rotation but didn’t. Combine that with the way he left Duke, and I wonder if he’s a player with a low motor and lackadaisical attitude. If that’s the case, then I’m sure Atlanta would like to trade him for some value, but then why would the Rockets want a slacker on a young team?

D-rock likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Knicks: EG and #17

Rockets: Fournier (2 years plus 1 year team option remaining) and #11

Knicks get a veteran "two way" combo guard on a short contract and a bite at the 2022 draft while we get to move up at the expense of getting a terrible guard with 2 years remaining. The Rockets still aren't ready to compete so Fournier doesn't really effect the long term rebuilding.

ilias, RLP55 and Mathloom like this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think taking on that Fornier contract plus EG and #17 is worth moving up 6 spots. But I think making a deal with the Knicks is a real option.

theDude likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Not when using actual cap space or TPE's.

If a team is over the cap then they must match within 120%+$100k.

Portland could make the required cap space by renouncing a the cap holds on Ingles, Nurkic & Simons.

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't think that's what the trade said? Didn't they trade #7 for Hayward, #17, Plumlee and KJ (on the assumption they could flip #17/ Milw 2025 first, and Keon Johnson for Grant). It's a land of make believe (ie, that they are able to flip 2 firsts and an asset for Grant), but if so, this deal makes some sense for them.