1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

id do this if Jabari is there at two. Would not do it for chet

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I said Wood is generally considered better than Grant, how would that trade make any sense?

Also, my statement was not some defense for keeping Wood, it was just to try to put a different perspective on some of the trade proposals that I felt were undervaluing him.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Landry's Tooth

Are you saying Detroit and Utah are drafting in the 20s?

Also, if the pick is 2 years from now, how do you know?

Our nets pick is 10 higher than most expected...

theDude likes this.
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

what makes you think we will get a pick from Detroit for Wood? Yes, I think Utah will be picking in the 20,s

5. Landry's Tooth

Their defensive metrics are about the same. Wood has been slightly better shooter of late. He's a much better rebounder, better size, and younger. His scoring efficiency is much higher.

Grant has better floor vision.

Keep in mind Grant can be a chucker. His efg% has been 49.1% 2 years in a row. For perspective, KPJ was 51.1% last year and people whine about it. Garuba at 48.9% was closest to Grant on the team last year...

theDude likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I say there is a about an equal chance of that or higher. Jazz are on the cusp of falling apart.

7. Landry's Tooth

I didn't. I said they have rim protection with Stewart to hide Wood's defense.

You brought up the pick. For all i know they do a 3 way deal or take a player back for him.

I responded to your claim Detroit's pick would be garbage.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think my comment may have been confusing. I think Wood and Gordon’s value are late FRP at best. Folks saying Wood and 17 is netting #7 are delusional in my opinion, but I hope I’m wrong. Grant I believe has greater value in my opinion and the scuttlebutt is that Portland is after Grant. I didn’t understand including Detroit in a bidding war for Wood. I think his value paired with 17 is probably 13.

9. Landry's Tooth

The only thing i see Grant really give you over wood is better court vision; so if you have a ball movement offense maybe you prefer him.

He's not a guy you want shooting the ball and he's not a lock down defender.

You can make a case Garuba has more value then Grant even if you ignore age and salary. Garuba is a better defender and roughly equal scoring efficiency... definitely not the passer and more prone to mistakes than Grant.

10. theDude

Supporting Member

I think that value is about right.

Word was that the Rockets had offered Gordon to the Cavaliers for their FRP and Rubio. They decided to go with LeVert and ended up missing the playoffs. Had the taken Gordon and won even two more games (as expected), their pick would have been around 18-19. So the Rockets obviously think that range is fair value for Gordon, and I imagine the Cavs would agree in hindsight.

The other rumor was that they received an offer of a late FRP for Wood, but the Rockets felt like that wasn’t enough value. That doesn’t mean that other teams don’t value Wood higher, they just might not have had the right combination of picks and contracts at the time, and Stone probably thought he could maximize the return later. I think a pick for either was going to be lottery-protected, so I imagine he would have accepted late teens for Wood. It could have ended up being 16.

So, if the league and Stone are somewhat in agreement with these values, we can assign Gordon 19 and Wood 16.

So, does 16 & 17 get you up to 7? I doubt it. Does it get you to 13? Probably.

That’s also why I think there is good value in keeping 17 and offering 16 &19 (Wood and Gordon) for 13, while taking back an extra year of Hayward to match salaries.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  11. Landry's Tooth

Hayward isn't good enough to pass on a potential max contract. It's a 1 year window if they intend to keep tate, kpj, or martin....

Maybe they don't but it's not worth boxing us in...

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

to me it’s who is left at 13 and how high you value him. If Wood, Gordon, and wall are all gone and KPJ is resigned to a 15-20m a year contract even with Hayward I think we would still have room for a max contract. After Hayward expires you’d have room for two. The 2023 fa class pretty much sucks other than jokic and I doubt he would consider any team without an immediate chance at a ring. So basically you would conceivably be buying an Eason or Sochan for the extra year of Hayward’s contract.

theDude likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that was the value at the deadline, but Wood and Gordon can't play in the 2022 playoffs any more. Gordon's primary value is his contract now for salary matching purposes, and doubtful he's worth a 2022 FRP at this point. Wood, I really don't have a good feel what he would get in a trade at this point. My guess would be a mid-late FRP.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Not trading EG at the deadline was a straight-up mistake.

BigMaloe, fattz, saleem and 2 others like this.
  15. theDude

Supporting Member

We would still have enough to offer a max contract, just not two. No big loss, because I don’t see anyone other than Wiggins in 2023 that I would be willing to offer one to. And he might have an extension before then.

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'll take option "B".

#3 - Chet/Jabari/Paolo
    #7 - Eason
    #17 - Mark Williams

That's my perfect draft.

Rudyc281 and theDude like this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

In real life, what do you think we have to include to get the 7 pick?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Have no clue how to read what Blazers are thinking or value.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

what would you say is fair/reasonable value? wood/17/bucks pick? or what?

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not D-rock, but I would be gauging what other teams would want for the No. 7. Portland needs length.

D-rock likes this.