1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Thought: Should The RGV Vipers (or new Rockets D League team) be moved to Houston area?

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Metropolis777, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

I understand that the Vipers are owned locally in McAllen so it may take local ownership in Houston (I'm looking at you Les, Tillman, Mack, etc.) to either buy the Vipers or another D-League franchise and move them to the Houston area....the Merrell Center in Katy would work very well.

With how much the Rockets use the D-League for real development, it seems like it would make a whole lot more sense to have the Vipers 40 min down the road rather than an hour flight away. Call me crazy but I think our young guys may develop even quicker if they're not having to worry about where they are living when they get assigned to the Vipers.

While no other franchise uses the D-League like the Rockets do, Dallas has done this with the Legends in Frisco, the Lakers have their affiliate in El Segundo, Cedar Park. Additionally, the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Warriors, Cavs, and Celtics all have their affiliates approximately 90 mins away by car.

Again, none of those teams like to send players back and forth like the Rockets do. It just seems like it would make a whole lot of sense to move the Rockets D-League affiliate locally.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

3. sophiaaa19

sophiaaa19 Member

It would definitely make things easier on the rookies, I always feel bad when I find out they are being recalled/assigned. The traveling and living situation must be a pain in the ass

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Move them to Galveston and re name them.

Today I went into academy on the seawall and they only had 2 rockets shirts in the whole store.

I have a better selection in Austin which is spurs territory.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

The Rockets don't own the team -- they run the basketball side of the operation and it's a very beneficial relationship for both sides. The Rockets manage the basketball side and get the benefits of hand-picking coaches and a system that will be most beneficial to developing players for the Rockets. The Vipers save money by having the Rockets handle this and they get the benefit of having first-class talent evaluators manage the team.

Also, the principal owner of the team is Alonzo Cantu, who practically IS McAllen, Texas. He's a multi-millionaire who owns Cantu Construction based there.

Cantu with Yao Ming at a Viper game
    [​IMG]

Point being -- a move's not going to happen.

It would be nice if it was a short drive to go see some prospects... but it's about a 6-hour drive to McAllen, maybe an hour flight. Not too bad, really. I went to McAllen for training camp and enjoyed it.

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

White would say yes.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think I am just stereotyping, but is Alonzo Cantu a crime lord?

8. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Clutch did you even bother to read the post? I am specifically asking if it would be more beneficial to the Rockets to have Houston ownership purchase the Vipers or another dleague org and move them to the Houston area for the Rockets.

9. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

ROTFL LOL LOL LOL

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Obviously not well enough. Sorry about that... maybe I should avoid 2am replies.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Was just kidding about the crime lord part, but I just googled Mr. Cantu and he seems to be a good guys for someone like, say, Les Alexander to be in business with. In fact, if I were a Rockets rookie on assignment to RGV, I'd be sure to get on the good side of and get acquainted with the RGV owner.

12. MrJason

MrJason Member

No one is going to buy the team and relocate them to Houston. They would make no money out of it here.

Who would go to a Vipers game in Houston?

Not to sound disrespectful, but if you have a choice to go to a Rockets game or Vipers game, which would you choose?

Houston Cougars, Rice Owls, etc barely have any attendance as it is. People only started going to Rockets games to see a superstar in James Harden. They aren't going to pay for tickets to see Terrence Jones play. There is no financial benefit to buying the team and relocating them.

On the other hand, people go to games in McAllen because there's not many other sporting options to choose from.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

this right heeeyah

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The people that just want to casually watch a basketball game where they may see some pro-level talent for a lot less than what they'll have to fork over for an NBA game and still get way better seats. Maybe a dad wants to take his kids out to a game without having to drive from Houstn to suburbia after work and then from suburbia to downtown Houston to watch the game and then from downtown to suburbia again afterwards.

The Texas Legends are in the DFW area. They drew 4400 people per game last year. RGV drew the most at 4800. The Iowa Energy are the only other team that drew over 3000 last year (4300). Most of the other teams drew just under 3000 per game. Hmm... maybe this is why we keep sending our draft picks down there... keep attendance for an otherwise crappy team up. ;) Anyway, my point is, the Texas Legends seem to be doing something right in a big town.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Look at baseball's minor league system. It's highly successful, has been for years and should be something the NBA models it's NBDL after. So far, it has. Minor league teams are supported by cities that don't have the big league team.

Also, it's a very short flight over there on Southwest. There is no need to worry about travel time. It's really a pretty cool town with a nice mix of Mexican influence and good old boy. I recommend getting a botana from any Mexican restaurant while you're there. You will be pleased.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Baseball has a limited number of times a player can go back and forth. NBA does not. It is also much easier to practice in baseball. Ten out of 13 players are needed healthy for Rockets to practice. It would be nice for the guys sent to d league to be able to practice with Rockets instead of this yo yo that they currently do.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I did not know that. What is the number? Personally, I like how the NBA does it, but that is because I like how they use it to develop/play in the NBA then develop/play etc until the player is ready full time.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Actually, I am wrong about the number of times. A baseball player can be sent up or down as much as a team wants, but they are limited by the number of years to 3 once called up.

19. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Then why did Sugar Land create the Skeeters which have no affliation or real baseball talent?

If you offer people in the Houston area - like I said, the Merrell Center in Katy is an option - the chance to go watch this level of basketball games for $10-$20 per ticket, they're gonna do it.

That doesn't matter. You're still relocating these players out of the Houston area to another city altogether to develop whereas if the team was in the suburbs, the players wouldn't have to pack up and move when sent to the D-League.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The legends are being marketed like crazy. Their games are on TXA 21, which everyone in dfw has. Also, there is a lot of local civic pride in all of those dfw cities, and Frisco has a little sports entertainment thing going on in that area, with FC Dallas' stadium just north of where the Legends play.