1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Maps Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Buck Turgidson

587 days? That it total b.s.

4. donkeypunch

Have you never seen Deckard and B-bob speed walking inside malls before closing time?

Deckard and Kim like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have seen them speed walking to the Cinnabon. Does that count?

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A real man does it in 586!

Buck Turgidson and arkoe like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

How long did it take the cook in Lonesome Dove to walk from San Antonio to Montana?

9. Xerobull

I don't know, I don't watch chick flicks

This route takes a ferry across the Suez Canal, so it IS bs.

I've been playing with Google Maps for about an hour and can't come up with a route through East Africa without a ferry. That's not to say that there isn't one, but Google doesn't know a route.

Deckard likes this.
  10. donkeypunch

You don't think there's a crossing bridge between the two nations of Egypt and Israel? Don't take that route so literal. I mean I haven't vetted it hardcore, but I'm sure you can get across without a ferry.

It always blew my mind was how big Africa was. Google map a route from the northern tip of africa to the southern tip and see how long it takes to even drive that thing. Same goes for the western tip to the eastern tip.

Deckard and ramotadab like this.
  11. heypartner

Lulz. No.

Maybe it’s because you were setting the map for walking and taking ferry is faster. Set for car and tolls required it suggests the Suez Canal Bridge.

Just search “suez canal bridge”

[​IMG]

12. Xerobull

Give it a try yourself. I can't get a route past Wadi Halfa, Sudan before hitting a ferry. That desert is a b****.

Getting to Haiya, Sudan is 5,064 miles. And that's not even to Egypt.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cap...2m2!1d36.3850137!2d18.3334231!2m1!3b1!3e2!4e1

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Sounds like something cool to attempt in retirement. Do you think this route will take you through any sketchy neighborhoods? I don’t want to attempt anything unsafe.

ramotadab likes this.
  14. heypartner

The Port of Sudan has a road to Halaib (or Halayeb), where 65 is. 65 takes you to the multiple Suez Canal bridges.
    I can see the road in Satellite view, going north from Port of Sudan. Probably not paved, but ... Wikipedia claims there is a new paved road https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halaib_Triangle

To get to Port of Sudan, go east from Atbara.

Alternatively, probably an even longer route going clockwise around Africa to Mediterranean to Egypt.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. CrazyJoeDavola

No worries. If you do:

[​IMG]

Deckard and ramotadab like this.
  16. donkeypunch

Definitely after retirement. This route will take you through the whitest neighborhoods and definitely no pitbulls you have to circumnavigate, so youre good,

ramotadab and Xerobull like this.
  17. Xerobull

Would be really cool but I’m not sure my body at retirement age could handle two years of straight hiking. I would probably take the safest & most scenic route with lots of R&R layovers so it would probably take me closer to three years.

On the sketchy side, I watched a video (on here) of some white folks doing a 4x4 cross Africa trip and the natives constantly hit them up for money. You would need some guides/security and waypoints where you had access to more cash in case when you got extorted. I’m not sure if being armed would be worth it since you might be risking prison.

Then there’s gear refreshment and language barriers.

I guess you could make some $$$ off of it if you planned and marketed it properly. For a several year journey you could probably pick up a lot of viewers/followers on social media. Make sure to take your fedora and bullwhip.

Yeah I was a little disappointed in google maps when the routes are obviously there. I guess they want to validate it?

ramotadab likes this.
  18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

thank you SO much for that kind and thoughtful response.......however, I was......(clearly I thought) joking. Lot of low scoring countries along that route for certain indices like crime, peace, murder, etc.

ramotadab and Xerobull like this.
  19. Xerobull

I got the joke. I was expanding on the things I was thinking anyway. The element of danger would add some excitement and grit to what would otherwise probably be a mostly boring journey.

ramotadab likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Rocky Mountains really start in Central Texas -- Ozark Anomaly defies explanation.