1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2017-18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Increase the bench power like last few years. Eg. Micheal Beasley and Lou Willams. I dont think we can get another big, even we get it we need to lose 2 starter or super 6. If we can replace 1 starter with some unusable player with 1 big , this is ok.

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Note that RocketsFido mentioned “major” moves. I wouldn’t consider the buyout targets as “major” moves.
    Hopefully a good addition or two much like Bogut, Derrick Williams and Deron Williams last season as
    Cleveland was able to pick up.

Which FA would you recommend the Rockets go after? Rockets have limited assets and a Ryan Anderson
    contract few want. Teams don’t just give away players unless you are OKC Thunder. Teams don’t like
    breaking up team chemistry.......Rockets seem to have that chemistry with the current team

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

After watching GS and few other teams I think we def need another guard and preferably one with length and size.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he goes anywhere but Rynos contract gets better everyday just because it gets shorter.

Corrosion and JamalP. like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A cheap FA backup PG like Monte Ellis. I know he probably isn't the best player chemistry wise, but he is 31, and can be an insurance with CP's injuries.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was a big fan of Monta Ellis until his Pacers days. He is a high volume shooter.

Not nearly as effective without a high usage rate. Ellis was a scorer with Dallas; but clashed with Carlisle
    when Rondo arrived. Then again Rondo clashes with Carlisle as well.

Reason Mavs went out and got Rondo was mainly for assists out of that position because
    Ellis is not a big assist guy. Ellis career ast% is 21.6.......Bobby Brown career ast% is 22.3.
    Both have a bad career 3P% of about 31%.

Possibly worth a 10 day contract or two if nothing else develops. I would rather have Jimmer Fredette

#286 ApacheWarrior, Dec 25, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  7. saleem

A 20 day contract should not hurt. Jimmer has not been successful at anytime during his career. I will pass up on him.

8. rockets13champs

I’m thinking... lakers will want to lose Clarkson and Randle to open up a 2nd max right?

How about Dallas acquires Clarkson, and rockets send them Tarik and some wack young guy like chinanu.
    Rockets get Randle, and send the lakers a 2nd top 45 protected.
    Lakers get Seth curry, Mcroberts and all expiring contracts.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y79gfpla

Randle as the 10th man is nice. He is draymond lite and would be a solid center for us, going into games against Gsw, San Antonio. Passing bigs are key.

Tonight looking at harden getting trapped was tough. When Cp3 is back that won’t happen. Hardens game will be open again. If we add a passing big like Randle. Now we got 3 guys who can find offense for anyone. And Randle would be #10 in the rotation. Then in the buyout market I look for another 3 pt shooter like Bellinelli

Why not? likes this.
  9. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

I see no reason why the Lakers do that. Clarkson isn't a negative contract, they can trade him away pretty easily. They're not going to just give away Randle. Dude is beasting right now off the bench.

#289 Spoolxx, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Embrace the clutch and saleem like this.
  10. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Today lose to okc,.our bench got 6 points

saleem likes this.
  11. rockets13champs

They have to get rid of Clarkson to open up a 2nd max. No way in hell. They’re keeping past deadline. Clarkson will go to a team with a lot of cap. 2 they get 3 expirings. That is all lakers care about. No matter how talented a dude is. If your throwing them away you must attach some sort of compensation to them. An appropriate arguement would be why would Dallas swing in and take black and onuaku instead of acquiring Randle too

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Do you like Brandon Jennings? Jimmer is 2nd in scoring in the Chinese league. Better than Brandon Jennings

By about 10 points per game.

https://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/chinese-cba/stats

96% FT% on about 8 FT’s per game

D-rock likes this.
  13. saleem

I used to like Jennings before his unfortunate injury. He had a history of
    some success in the NBA unlike Jimmer. I'm still doubtful about Jimmer being able to contribute despite his CBA stats.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Jennings is a volume shooter much like Monta Ellis.

You may note some other names on the stats listing: Scola, MarShon Brooks, Carl Landry, JJ Hickson,
    Terrence Jones, Sonny Weems, Bass, Sullinger, Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough,

“I got my rights” DMo, etc

None have more points per game, after 20 or so games than Jimmer.....except one guy

#294 ApacheWarrior, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  15. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I think we need a backup five and four.

Can't believe how far Nene has fallen. He was a beast last season. Beast.

Capela has improved and picked up some slack but that's hard to replace.

We had 48 mins of pretty good center play most nights. That's not the case this year.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Harden has been getting trapped / doubled early since the Utah game , they laid the blueprint to disrupt this offense and the Lakers & Clippers copied it with success ..... Biggest thing is that Ryno went cold when Capela , Luc & CP3 went out and the rotation shrunk meaning more unproductive Ryno instead of Luc & Tucker you get Tucker playing a lot of extra minutes for Capela / Ryno instead of Ariza / Ryno.. So when Harden gets doubled / trapped its leading to missed shots or Harden forcing things and turning the ball over at a higher rate than normal .... Harden has to make the right play against that trap. I put this squarely on DanTony and Co for not making adjustments.

As cold as Anderson has been , they may as well put Zhou Qi out there and see if he can make a shot or two , 5 minutes of burn a game wouldn't hurt this team ...

17. Normalus

Normalus Member

He is a 35 year old vet in this league, and we signed him not for the reason to give us a push during the regular season. These kinds of men are smart & usually 100% ready when it matters (play-offs). He didn't fall way back either..

18. saleem

Definitely, Jennings is like that too. He is no longer playing in the NBA, which makes me doubt if he can get the job done. I would be interested in getting JJ Hickson at the February deadline. He is 29 years old.
    Some D, rebounding and some points would be welcome. What I'm trying to say is that, I think it would be worth taking a gamble on a steady veteran like Hickson, unlike the erratic Jennings.

#298 saleem, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Another guard with size and length who can handle the ball and make plays. Would love MCW but he can’t shoot and could be a liability but love his playmaking ability. Prolly could be had for cheap.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Monta Ellis is out of the league as well.

My point was that some former NBA players that have “somewhat proven themselves in the NBA” are playing in
    the CBA. Jimmer who “hasn’t proven himself in the NBA” is out performing them. Now with that I’m
    talking position by position comparison. Fact is Jimmer was younger when he played in the NBA and
    probably deserves another chance. The Rockets would provide a wide open spacing of the court with
    shooters galore surrounding him. Defensive players surrounding him in the form of Capela/Ariza/Tucker/Luc
    when most are healthy.

CP3 doesn’t drive all the way to the rim and finish......he often takes it to the free throw line. Jimmer can also learn
    to take it to the free throw line and pass, lob or shoot the mid range. He has a dead-on mid-range while
    also having a dead-on 3-pt shot to 26 feet. Worthy of a 10-day contract probably when the CBA season ends.

Fact of the matter is that the Rockets have CP3/Harden/E Gordon/Bobby Brown/ & 2-way contracts in D Jackson/B Weber. All listed as point guards. Rockets would have to cut Jackson or B Weber. Can they cut a 2-way contract during
    the season and add another? Say cut a PG and find another 2-way contract in the form of a PF?

Canaan would be in Houston and Bobby Brown would be gone if not for the friendship of Bobby Brown with
    our current LA-players connection. So if the Rockets are not going to cut either of the 2-way contracts and not
    cut the Harden/Ariza/CP3-friend of Bobby Brown.....then the Rockets would have 7 point guards on the roster.
    Harden/CP3/EGo/Bobby Brown/Demetrius Jackson/B Weber/......Monta Ellis or Jimmer as example.

Can’t see them cutting Chinanu to make room for another PG. IMO.

Maybe another wing and or Big.

MrSabotage likes this.