1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Jbarrachina likes this.
  2. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

Harrell is 1000x better than Capella, and he always will be.

3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I like your first deal of adding Jamaal Franklin & York. Franklin does look like a taller Beverley.
    I've always been big on Covington. I like that you put Dekker at PF. Typical Morey moves. I would
    scratch off Smoove. Just my opinion.

Don't see the Magic as sellers on Aaron Gordon.....but I really like the idea of bringing in Larry Sanders as a fall-back plan.

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dekker is absolutely a small ball 4, especially in MDA system. He's always goin to struggle guarding traditional 3s, his lateral agility is no where as good as his straight line speed. Just needs to work on 3 ball consistency and get back to rebounding again.

Jatman20 likes this.
  5. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

They play 2 entirely different ways. Harrell will never be the lob finisher that Capela is, Capela will probably never hit an elbow jumper. They attack in PnR 2 different ways. Montrezl got big boy'd on the boards many games recently, he just can't consistently get up there high enough.

They are so different, it's not a valid comparison. It's like comparing Chuck Hayes to Yao, sure they both play center but that's about where the comparison ends.

Noel was and probably still is my target, him and Gallo would round out the roster.

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  6. Mr Chuck Norris

Are you serious?

7. vator

vator Contributing Member

I know we've had some defensive and rebounding breakdowns recently, but...there is a common theme developing here. When Gordon is out of the lineup or his shot is off, we struggle mightily. To a lesser extent, Ryan Anderson too. I honestly think we need to add some more capable offensive players who can step in. Brewer just doesn't cut it. He can't shoot well enough to be a consistent threat. Another guy that can come of the bench and drop 20-30 points on any given night would be invaluable.

mikol13 and BigMaloe like this.
  8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Tough question jbarrachina. Who becomes a champion? Usually requires a team to have a good
    balance of skill on offense & defense, health (or adequate backup depth), and a little luck. I've seen
    an 8th seed (Mutombo-Denver) beat a #1 seed (Supersonics). Wins during the season don't mean
    squat in the playoffs if a team matches up vs another teams weakness or weaknesses.

I believe @D-rock, @BigMaloe , @craguin , @Tha_Dude , Myself (& others) have noted some issues
    & have tried to address some of these issues via trade(s). One such issue reared its ugly head last
    night vs Boston. Boston made a concerted effort to attack the rim & challenge rim protection.
    Interior defense is an "Achillies Heel" ue....continue later. My internet is acting up

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree with everything except part that Harrell is not great lob finisher. Biggest difference is rebounding and nastiness. Neither are elite or even good rebounders, but Harrell brings an attitude and intimidation that no one but Bev can come close to matching.

Love Noel for this team too. Imagine Noel running same PnR with Harden boggles my mind. Noel is better than Capela in almost every way other than salary. He's longer, more bouncy, faster, better rebounder, better shot blocker, much better steal rate, better FT shooter, better jumper, better perimeter defender, better at closing out, better at getting back to rim after challenging shooter, better endurance, nastier attitude, etc.

Noel can be elite at several of the above categories, just not seeing that with Capela, who is very good but not potential superstar good.

I remember how raw Hakeem was when he got to NBA. All he seemed to do best was finish, block shots, steals and rebounds. His offense was very unpolished but his raw athletic ability, length, speed and chip on his shoulder reminds me of Noel.

Not saying same players but similar attitudes and athleticism. Noel's speed, bounce and agility are gazelle like for a guy a shade under 7 feet.

10. raining threes

Do you you have to do to get Nurkic.

Rumored the Nuggets want a 1st for him. Give it up, you wont find a player as good as him late in the 1st. Throw in KJ to make salaries match. Nurkic solves rim protection/rebounding issues.

Trade a 2nd for Hardaway Jr. Adding him reduces Ariza's mins and adds another badly needed shooter.

I really like Gallanari on this team but Morey doesn't have enough to get him. IMHO

These 2 moves will put the Rockets in the 3rd seed.

Von Rafer likes this.
  11. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@Jbarrachina ....con't . Rockets are currently 3rd worst in the NBA in defense of < 6 ft.
    at 64.6%. Rockets are only better than Dallas (29th) & Lakers (30th). Utah is 2nd best
    & San Antonio is 7th.....followed by GSW (11th), Grizz (13th), Cavs (16th). So in a "punch
    the shoulder & see who flinches first." The Rockets would probably flinch first. Boston last
    night engaged Capela or Harrell (as centers) and then kicked it to weak-side attacker to
    test the Rockets weak side rim protection/rotations. Dekker/Ryno/Brewer were exploited.

Cavs & Warriors have less holes to fill since they were in the finals last season. The Rockets
    faced a total nuke rebuild this past season. New coaches, new players & new systems.
    Cavs have an estimated $129 mil. The so-called greatest player in the world needs more??
    The Rockets have come a long way on the fly. The Rockets are in striking position,
    as a top 10 team, to advance. I believe the Thunder were a 1st seed destined to advance to the
    finals when Westbrook injured his knee against the 8th seeded Rockets as the playoffs began a
    few seasons back. Kevin Martin and Durant had to carry the team; but failed to make it to the finals.
    Every team is one injury away from being removed from contention. Knock on wood.

If the Rockets fall short of the finals this yr; well then they are in position to tweak the lineup
    or roster accordingly. Personally I don't understand using a 1st rd pick to move Brewer in the
    summer as opposed to now/trade deadline. Unless the issue is to keep Ryno or upgrade due
    to defensive abilities pending playoff performance.....I just don't get not shoring up the teams
    depth now.

D-rock and BigMaloe like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So, when are the Rockets trading for Boban?

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Boban? Is that the stuff you get at the bottom of your drink at a Thai restaurant?

ramotadab and Jatman20 like this.
  14. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@Deuce. One of the main contributors on this thread. Didn't mean to leave your name out earlier.
    I couldn't think of everyone. Sad thing is, Dallas has the 4th highest payroll with one the worst
    rim protecting defenses (Bogut/Boban). Is it defensive scheme? Help defenders? So if the
    Rockets get Noel to go with Capela, are the Rockets still vulnerable? Because of help
    defenders?

One of the reasons I'm strongly considering Sefolosha. Sefolosha is shooting about 37% from corner
    3-pt line while supplying Grade-A defense. Rockets would need to accentuate his positives and put
    him in places where he can exceed. Same was the case with Jordan Hamilton when the Rockets
    traded Brooks x Jordan. I looked it up after that trade. Hamilton was shooting something off the
    charts from left corner 3 at the time. Some players just don't have the drive to succeed. I think
    Sefolosha would be different because he works hard on defense.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No, I think it's Bilbo's half-witted brother. The black sheep of the Baggins family. Such a ne'er-do-well that Tolkien only mentioned him in the Appendices of ROTK.

Although why we'd go after him when we need rim protection, I just can't guess.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Boban Marjanovic. The 3rd C in Detroit's rotation behind Drummond and Baynes.

[​IMG]

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sefolosha would be a good addition depending on cost. He is a UFA after this season.

Jatman20 likes this.
  18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe he's one of "the Birds"....?

ramotadab likes this.
  19. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

yes. I always get him confused with Mejri. Thanks for the correction.. Pistons are in the playoff
    hunt. Did you hear a report saying they are shopping him?

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He makes Dwight look obsolete.

flusched and Deuce like this.