1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Talk about chemistry killing trades. No thanks to Melo. Patterson, maybe, but why not try Wiltjer first?

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If Melo circa 2012 was available, that might be a worthwhile all-in risk worth taking.

Not for the 2017 version, though.

mikol13 likes this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No, it's because Anthony is a ball stopper, on a bad contract while aging, already proven to not work in D'Antoni's system and will not want to play second fiddle to our real star James Harden. Other than that he's freaking perfect.

D-rock likes this.
  4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Hypothetically, if he did agree to take the backseat and makeup with DAntoni, and plays the 4... how do you think he fits?

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Still badly.

D-rock likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

And if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. Melo and MDA are not good fits.

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Hard to say. Carmelo is obviously a great talent, but never really reached what I believe he could have been. I'm not trying to slight his career, (it's been damn good) but I think he had the skill set to be incredible.

Why do people think he'd change his stripes at this point of his career? For the sake of conversation I'll try to answer your questions.

Melo's midrange game doesn't fit imo. The fact that he is shooting 37% from 3 this year would be solid for the Rockets. Solid rebounder, but not great defensively. The thing is, he won't play second fiddle, I just don't believe it. I don't like his contract. I don't like that he took the money in NYC knowing he'd be a loser. To me he's a stat guy first.

I'm trying to convince myself that you make the deal because of his talent level, but just can't. I think it would be similar to what we saw with Howard and Harden. Melo is too selfish to consistently do what's best and needed in this situation.

8. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

can we trade brewer for a condom now

ramotadab, J.R. and JamalP. like this.
  9. baller4life315

Trade with Denver

Houston trades: Harrell, Brewer, K.J. + 2017 1st rounder
    Denver trades: Gallinari, Nurkic

mikol13, SLRokJok and JamalP. like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Denver already has Faried, who they have tried to move. Why would they want his clone (Harrell)? If Rockets are going to give up a first, I want Nerlens Noel. At this point I'd even take Tyson Chandler or Joakim Noah. We need better rim protection and rebounding and something is still not right with Capela.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. baller4life315

By all accounts they've been shopping Faried for quite some time and they're bound to be successful eventually. I don't really see this as an impediment to making a deal they like.

I don't have anything against Noel and I'd be open to trading for him, but the numbers don't really justify the hype. Nurkic wouldn't even be the prize in this proposal and his rebounding numbers are much better than Noel's.

I'm open to Chandler and Noah also. Both would help. I just happen to like Gallinari's game and potential fit in our system a lot. Plus, a lot of posters here seem to believe unloading Brewer's contract might cost us the first rounder, anyway. This is a way to do that and gain two rotation-worthy players. One, if healthy, could be a monster scorer in our system.

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would love Gallinari too but I think Noel could be a major game changer in the middle. Noel is not as prolific a rebounder as Nurkic (at least this season) or even Tyson Chandler but his athleticism (can run forever, defend 1-5), above the rim play & length (7'4 vs. 7'2 wingspans) is a perfect 5 for Harden and MDA's offense (and the defense is instantly upgraded - his steal rate is just as impressive as his block rate).

Would also give Wiltjer some minutes to see if he can be Gallinari-lite.

DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

New or Used? Brewer lineups have a Plus 5Trillion.....so I'm told.

Wonder what the Plus/Minus is for Brewer-lineups vs elite teams?

Edited later: Because it's elite teams that we will meet in the playoffs.

#1493 Jatman20, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    ramotadab likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'd much prefer Tyson over Noel even with his cap and Noel's age.

Having both Noel and capela isn't ideal because you have 2 growing promising players that provide the exact same thing. Also creates a "me Vs him" situation instead of the "team" first mentality we have.

Tyson is exactly what we need. Quality vet presence. Finals experience. Good defender. Great rebounded. Excellent PnR. History with mda. Should be cheap because length of contract.

Problem is all the reports or are saying they aren't trading him.

I think Gallo is the absolute best target we could hope to acquire. Backup 4/3 and even time at the 5. Would give us another shot creator and play maker.

baller4life315 likes this.
  15. baller4life315

Noel badly needs a change of scenery. Something both sides could probably benefit from at this point given that Philly's offense is worse with him on the floor and their defense is better without him. For me, I'm interested but it all depends upon the price.

D-rock likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Noel finally getting consistent minutes backing up Embiid. But when Embiid is injured or resting after B2B's it is Okafor that starts. Okafor is still on rook contract for another year, while Noel is UFA after this season. 4th center, Richaun Holmes is also still on rook contract and can fill Noel's role as defender for much cheaper.

The time to steal Noel is now. Just not sure if Morey has the assets. Would have to convince Noel that Rockets are best fit and would only re-sign with Houston. Which should not be too hard since Noel thrives in a pace and space system where he can run the floor, play PnR, alley oops, easy offense, etc. 6ers play a paint and 3 about as much as they run. And Noel can be an impact defender and rim protector in any system. It's not just his elite athleticism and length but Noel plays with a chip on his shoulder and takes huge pride in giving it 1000% every time down the court.

17. rockets13champs

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gqqzrqc

I got this 4 team deal

Houston: PJ Tucker+ James Johnson
    Phx: Brewer,KJ, Jahlil Okafor
    Philly: Brandon Knight, 2nd from Hou, 2nd from Miami
    Miami: Tyler Ennis,Nick Stauskas

Miami can do this post Dragic Trade
    Rockets Defense improves
    Phx gets an athletic wing, a vet and a young center
    Philly gets an actual pg and can make a playoff run

BigggReddd and Jatman20 like this.
  18. rockets13champs

Allows us to 1. Sign a free agent pg like chalmers, or if derron williams gets waived, freddette with 1 open roster spot
    2. Gives us cap space this summer and flexibilty to make moves and sign a big name free agent if we want to

19. rockets13champs

@DarylMorey

ramotadab likes this.
  20. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

That's pretty good overall. I don't see what Miami gets out of it though. They give up James Johnson & a second rounder and get Ennis and Stauskas. Not sure they would go for that.