1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. craguin

craguin Member

DonKnock likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but why Houston? Doesn't seem to have ever lived or played in Houston. Seems like a random choice.

3. craguin

craguin Member

His rehab trainer lives in Houston? (my guess) *edit: or the facility...

Looks like Chalmers works out at O Athletik from this picture...
    [​IMG]
    [Chron.com - July 21, 2016] NFL players Adrian Peterson, Trent Williams open O Athletik gym in Houston
    Peterson along with partners that include Washington Pro Bowl offensive tackle Trent Williams and Cooper unveiled a shiny-new, 35,000-square foot gymnasium called O Athletik in The Heights during a red carpet event Wednesday night.
    [...]
    "You can train like the pros with the pros. That's what we wanted to present. You can do any normal workout you can do at any gym, but you can take it to that next level as well. I know that will attract a lot of people. You can find weights anywhere, but you're not going to find a boxing ring, or a hill or inside turf." [...]

The concept of the gym is built around tailoring professional athletes' workouts to anyone who wants to get in shape.

#1463 craguin, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

From ESPN Insider
    -Kevin Pelton
    http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18535714/best-nba-bargain-trade-targets

The NBA trade deadline is just a month away, and the best way for teams to maximize the return on their deals is to use a familiar axiom: Buy low.

Instead of searching out the hot names, teams should be looking for players who are currently performing below established norms (meaning they'll benefit from regression to the mean) or those who are out of favor with their current teams.

Let's take a look at six players I'd be targeting if I were running an NBA front office.

Kenneth Faried
    Denver Nuggets
    Power Forward

Quietly, Faried's advanced statistics have never changed all that much from his first few seasons in the league, when he was celebrated as a draft steal and started on a 57-win Denver team at age 23. He's still among the NBA's top offensive rebounders (he ranks fourth in offensive rebound rate among players who have seen 500 minutes of action) and a high-percentage finisher.

Because the league has changed to emphasize floor spacing from the power forward position, Faried isn't a fit for every team. Still, he could work well alongside a less athletic center with 3-point range, like Brook Lopez or Myles Turner.

Of course, that description could also apply to Nuggets center Nikola Jokic, so perhaps Denver is content to leave Faried in the starting lineup after he regained his role following a series of DNP-CDs earlier this month. If that changes or Faried is required to match salary in a trade with a team that doesn't have a need for him, I'd be quick to inquire.

Nikola Mirotic
    Chicago Bulls
    Power Forward

The Chicago Sun-Times reported Sunday that the Bulls are shopping Mirotic, who can be a restricted free agent at season's end and is due to increase his $5.8 million salary, along with point guard Rajon Rondo. If I were a team in need of floor spacing at power forward, I'd be willing to pay Mirotic.

Yes, it's troubling that Mirotic's 3-point percentage is south of 32 percent for the second time in three NBA seasons. But no stat is more likely to fluctuate and give a false impression of a player's value than 3-point percentage, with Mirotic's 2015-16 as an excellent example. After shooting 33.1 percent from downtown through December, Mirotic made 43.3 percent of his 3s the rest of the season.

Even at middling percentages, Mirotic's frequent 3-point attempts (7.8 per 36 minutes) keep defenses honest, so Chicago's offensive rating is 2.2 points better per 100 possessions with Mirotic on the court, according to NBA.com/Stats. Both ESPN's real plus-minus and my wins above replacement player metric suggest Mirotic has been about a league-average player this season without the benefit of accurate shooting. So imagine how valuable he might be if his shots start going in more consistently.

Jared Dudley
    Phoenix Suns
    Power Forward

Signed to provide veteran leadership and serve as a bridge at power forward to 2016 lottery picks Dragan Bender and Marquese Chriss, Dudley moved aside to accommodate the youngsters much earlier than expected. After starting the season's first seven games, Dudley has played just five total minutes in all of January. (He has been sidelined the past week due to dizziness.)

Dudley's performance hardly merited the benching. He was shooting 44.0 percent from 3-point range and a career-high 56.0 percent beyond the arc. As recently as last season, Dudley was an effective part-time starter for theWashington Wizards. His three-year, $30 million contract is reasonable for a reserve. (The Wizards would surely love Dudley back, but don't have any matching contracts that would interest the Suns.)

Tim Frazier
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Point Guard

Hey, remember Frazier? He started the season's first 20 games for the Pelicans and had seven double-doubles. Yet when Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evansreturned, Frazier found himself out of New Orleans' rotation.

While Holiday and Evans remain injury risks, the Pelicans have enough depth in the backcourt that they might be able to spare Frazier, and he could certainly help several contenders as a backup point guard -- a role more appropriate for him than starting, where he was stretched despite the impressive box-score stats.

The Atlanta Hawks and Washington Wizards, who have both been searching for consistency behind their starting point guards, would make sense as possible destinations.

Richaun Holmes
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Center

All the discussion about whether the 76ers will trade either Nerlens Noel orJahlil Okafor obscures the fact that they have a fourth young center on their roster: Holmes, who has played five total minutes since Dec. 14. (He missed five games during that span with a concussion but is active now.)

Holmes has an intriguing skill set based primarily on his impressive leaping ability. He blocks shots at an above-average rate (4.4 percent of opponents' 2-point attempts during his career) for a center (average is 3.1 percent for the position) and has made 57.6 percent of his 2-point attempts. Holmes even flashes occasional 3-point range, having made seven triples in 20 tries this season after going 8-of-44 as a rookie.

The one question mark with Holmes is whether he can control the defensive glass. As a rookie, his defensive rebound percentage (11.7 percent) was below average for a small forward, let alone a big man. Holmes has nearly doubled that to 19.0 percent in limited playing time this season. With a team-friendly contract that is fully non-guaranteed for the minimum the next two years, Holmes is an easy fit for any team looking to add a center project.

Tyus Jones
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Point Guard

Lost in the Ricky Rubio trade rumors and discussion of Kris Dunn as the Timberwolves' point guard of the future is the fact that Minnesota has a point guard on the roster who's younger than Dunn. Moreover, the 20-year-old Jones has been more effective than Dunn in his limited action, posting a 3.71-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio and shooting 13-of-28 from 3-point range.

At a slight 6-foot-2, Jones' defensive limitations might prevent him from developing into a starter. Nonetheless, his heady decision-making at the point and ability to shoot the 3 mean he could become an ideal backup. Timberwolves management has no ties to Jones, who was drafted by the previous regime, so despite the fact that he's a Minnesota native he might be available for a reasonable price.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

ilyasova to rockets?

basketballholic likes this.
  6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Saw a couple of trades proposed by Lakers fans on another site.

KJ for Nick Young swap. I don't think the money is right on that, but they wanted the young player with upside. Swaggy is a gunner and would fit our offense.

and

KJ, Brewer, 2017 1st rounder for Nick Young and Lou Williams.

Several Lakers fans chimed in and they all seemed to be fine with both deals. What do you guys think? Personally, I like it a lot. Even if you only trade for Lou Williams, you solve the Beverley/Gordon games missed problem that we have and Williams is like having another Gordon on the team. Dude can just flat out score the ball. I'm thinking there aren't enough rotation minutes to do both, but one or the other could really help this team offensively.

DonKnock, ramotadab and BigMaloe like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I don't think the Rockets part with their 1st round pick without getting a quality young rotation piece back. They do have two 2nd round picks (Den, Port) that they might use in a trade.

I don't think the Rockets would take on Nick Young unless he agreed to waive his "player option" for next season.

Chamillionaire, Vivi, malakas and 2 others like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Does anyone actually pay for espn insider, a bunch of opinion pieces written with no insider info?
    What's eerily happening there is they seem to be losing games right around the time they realize how badly they want to keep their pick.

I wouldn't do any of those, but I would do Brewer and our #38 for Williams or Calderon.

9. vator

vator Contributing Member

Lou Williams would be dynamic here just like Gordon. I think he'd be worth a 1st. His contract is good too.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Young had been getting tons of praise for his improvement in Defence to start the season. Now it's back to his usual normal...horrible.
    No interest from me.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are right. Brain fart, and I just watched him play against Lebron's Cavs the other week too.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you like Seth Curry, then you'd like Gabe York even more. Much more explosive an athlete than Seth, and his shot is almost as good as Steph from downtown right now. 3 ball is better than Steph when Steph came out of college. York is available for any team to sign out of D-League.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Would be great to snab Holmes and one between Jones/Frazier (who has been glued to the bench lately)

In fact the Pelicans have really a lot of guys there, Holiday, Hield seem to be their combo for the future, Galloway and Moore from the bench...not sure if they want to keep Evans, i'd say no but you never know...Frazier though, i just don't see minutes for him there, he's also from Houston...

#1473 Vivi, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    craguin likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

anyone been paying attention to the Mo Williams saga? This is hillarious! Denver and Philly taking turns trying to troll each other.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed, any of those 3 are good targets.

craguin likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Do you think he is going to get an "appreciation thread" on those team's respective BBS?

"Thanks for helping us with the salary floor?"

malakas likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Anderson, 2 Hou second rd picks to Raptors

Ross, Brewer, Dekker, Harrell + future Houston 1st to Knicks

Anthony, Patterson and Holiday to Houston

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He seems to have matured some this year, and yeah his defense has regressed to the norm. But here's something interesting about swaggy p.

He's elite at catch and shoot 3s. One of the best in the league in fact.

He shoots 4.8 3pt attempts per game from catch and shoot 3s at a 46.2% efficiency.

For comparisons sake.
    JJ Reddick shoots 4.3 per at 45.2%
    Steph curry shoots 4.9 per at 46.9%
    Klay Thompson shoots 6.6 per at 42%
    Eric Gordon shoots 6.7 per(leads league) at only 38.2%

So yeah, he could be very useful and I wouldn't be against the trade but I've been very hesitant towards him because of character concerns. Although him and Harden are cool I believe.

DonKnock, D-rock and ramotadab like this.
  19. jogo

jogo Member

This is the worst trade idea I've seen on these boards in some time.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's probably because your underrating Anthony and overrating our players/picks.