1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

That's risky, but WCS could be Capela 2.0 with a better contract potentially.

Jatman20 likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You can have an all-star that's not an alpha dog (Pippen, Thompson, Rip Hamilton, etc.) that complements your franchise player.

We can't keep thinking that Morey is star chasing with the way the Rockets opened the purse strings for Anderson and Gordon (plus the extension that Harden signed and will sign) because there's not enough money to throw out there for another franchise player. Either he finally sees/realizes that he just needs very good complementary players to surround Harden or he's been dictated/directed to build around Harden. Whatever it may be, the chances of the Rockets grabbing another franchise player in the next 2-3 years is minimal.

DonKnock, BigMaloe, da_juice and 2 others like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You may be right. I certainly think a complimentary "Pippen" type would do the trick (very good but not THE guy). But that, too, will take some "getting". I don't know if we'd hope for another franchise guy, but maybe someone on the level of a Gordon Hayward (who's probably going to Boston anyway).

ramotadab likes this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

Denver's price so far hasn't been cheap otherwise they would have traded him already.

The problem now is that Denver is rolling and in serious contention to make the playoffs.
    The other problem is that even if they become sellers they will delay it as long as possible to see if they can trade all or most of their assets together (Nurkic, Gallo, Nelson, Faried Chandler, Barton, their first etc ) to get someone better. For example Millsap Ibaka, Dragic .

D-rock likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We just need the parts to do their job and do it well, star or no star. This team needs another big up front for defense/rebounding and shooters on the bench that can rotate with Anderson/Gordon/Harden/Bev/Ariza.

D-rock and craguin like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Please lord, we need to get rid of Brewer and add someone more impactful and effective.

I have a feeling Morey is going to pull the trigger after the Warriors/Grizzlies back to back. He'll have a solid idea of what this team is, and he probably doesn't want to distract the team before those games.

da_juice, Jatman20 and ramotadab like this.
  7. markelliott1997

Motion to remove the 8th seed from being considered "playoff contention", as the 8 seed will have a worse chance to advance to the finals than a snowball has in hell.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please feel free to delete this if it has already been mentioned. I propose trading Harrell, Dekker and Ryan for Brook Lopez.
    I like the 2 young guys and Trez is really playing well, but the Rockets need to get an experienced big guy for the playoffs.
    Lopez can score on the low block, and make mid range shots/rebound.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Batum would be really nice on this Rockets team, of only.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I agree with @larsv8 and stated as such a couple decade of pages ago, that Gallo is the likely biggest fish we could obtain. No scrub team is gonna acquire him as their franchise player and no top tier player has more assets to pull the trigger outside of possibly Boston if they are interested although I don't think they are.

He's in his prime and an afterthought nowadays although he was once a almost all-star and highly regarded before injuries similar to Gordon.

He has serious length and while not a great defender he would fit very nice in our switch everything defense. He would fit well as a 3 and 4 in this offensive system.

He is good from deep and pretty efficient overall. He also provides secondary playmaking ability.

He would be the big splash so to speak. It would cost dekker/kj and our 1st and likely give them their 2nd back. Would also have to find a team willing to swallow brewer for the pot 2nd, Brooklyn comes to mind and Philly.

Houston gets gallo/holmes

Philly gets brewer/por2nd

Denver gets kj/dekker/hou1st/2nd back

For Denver they get youth with potential, an added 1st and their 2nd back. Starts building an asset package to rival others for a star.

For Philly it clears a bit of there logjam upfront for a veteran locker room presence, and they desperately need veterans to start building a culture. And adding brewer is better than overpaying in free agency. Gain a 2nd for improving the team balance.

For Houston it's get another "super role player" they could then resign in the offseason and operate above the cap gaining the mle.

da_juice, malakas and larsv8 like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, Gallo also had some sort of argument with Malone few days ago, he said he's feeling good in Denver months ago but i don't think he will stay there in the end and at this stage of his career, he's a guy who wants to win and he's not going to do that in Denver for some years.

I don't know if we can trade for him, aside for the picks i don't see what we can send to Denver, but it's also true that he's an expiring and he's not an all star who's going to get paid so, who knows.

Btw they traded Afflalo (and Gee) to Portland two years ago for a lottery protected 1st, T-Robinson, Barton and Claver (three end of the bench player at the time)...i can see them asking more for Gallo obviously, but not sure how much.

#1331 Vivi, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    D-rock, BigMaloe and malakas like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Did you just say Brook Lopez can rebound? He's one of the worst rebounding big men I've ever seen. He averages 5.1 rpg, and plays 30 minutes a night. Ryan Anderson's 8.2 rebounds per 100 possessions is actually better than Lopez's 8.1. And Anderson floats around the 3 point line and is known for being a horrible defender and rebounder.

Brook Lopez is not the type of big the Rockets need to add, imo.

da_juice, D-rock, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, he said Brook Lopez can rebound. Well, he can, but doesn't. If he simply stood just outside the paint with his arms raised above his head he might average more rebounds than his current rate. In any case, the also-mentioned-midrange jump shot would have to be pushed back to the 3 point line. He can shoot from there, yes. But matching salaries would be a creative three-team headache.

malakas likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As much as it would be neat to have 5 guys on the floor that can hit 3s, if none of those guys can provide you the "big" defense that DGreen (does all the time) and KDurant (does at times) can then its fruitless. The last thing I want to see is Brook Lopez regularly being forced to switch on PnRs.

Lopez also gets paid $22 million next year. Which means you are not a player in any meaningful way this offseason in the FA market. Which would be bad. FA, even if not landing a Tier1 guy, given the Rockets haven't stashed a bunch of picks and their own will be so bad, is the best way to improve this team.

Hard hard hard pass on Lopez.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Brook Lopez is paid 22 mil a year. yes..but how much exacty ppl here think that Gallinari is going to get next year? 10 million? 15?

Otto Porter and KCP are already counting the cash bills of their 20+ mil per next contracts. Jrue Holliday is about to get 15-20 (according to Lowe) unless he gets reinjured.
    I dont' want Brolo here, but Gallinari isn't going to be much cheaper either.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'd be ecstatic with Gallo at 10-15per and happy at 15-20per.

malakas likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nic Batum?

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rumors out of Denver is that they are looking for a superstar in return for package of Nurkic, Gallinari, Faried, Chandler, etc. They had been eyeing Cousins but are looking now at Griffin.

malakas likes this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

The trade is more than just WCS.

Casspi is a fit for this team (Takes all of Brewer's PT, and we can cut back Ariza usage too). Casspi plays smart and within himself making teammates better. He and Dekkar playing at the same time would be something to see --> match up nightmare for the other team's second unit. Ego would be droppen dimes everywhere.

20. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I like Nic Batum alot, but he is coming off an injury and having a poor slate of games recently(the Hornets team as a whole is struggling tbf) his defense has also regressed this season, not sure he would be the wise choice ATM for the Rockets, plus he has a LONG contract and getting paid like 20 Mil a year lol.