1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That's not ridiculous. But I think the hawks value Korver and would prefer to keep him in that situation.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, I am not that big on Okafor. At least as it pertains to Houston. Doesn't seem like a fit in Houston's offense. But the big that is wasting away is Richaun Holmes. He can block shots and hit midrange jumpers. That fits more in MDA's system. Holmes is the scorer.

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Take Llull and Gentile out of the mix. Phoenix gives up a 2nd rounder (instead of Houston).

kwakmeister likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is actually not a lot to give up for Tyson Chandler, but rather have Okafor in this scenario even though Chandler's game better complements team needs.

Just can't see Morey giving away so much for a guy who's played a decade and a half in NBA who's best years are behind him.

Either outcome would work for this season.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Holmes sounds exactly like a Morey under the radar move but the guy would be another undersized center. How many 6-10 and under centers do we need?

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am more interested in players that can fit into MDA's system than filling a height requirement. I mean, the Rockets could trade for Asik, but would that help any? I just mentioned Holmes because he is a good rebounder, sneaky shot blocker and can hit a jump shot. He could find a role as a bench contributor on this team. And might be available because of the '76er front court situation.

It is all about "fit."

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Hey, I gave you a like because it sounds so Morey, it just wasn't a like like.

Deuce likes this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Alright, its not exciting, but it is realistic and one of the few deals I could see actually happening.

Nick Young (Waives player option) / Jose Calderon

for

Corey Brewer / KJ McDaniels / 2 seconds

Nick Young is having a great year and we know from Cyberx, he was shopped this past offseason. Brewer, as of right now is the weak link in the rotation, and if Beverley misses anymore time, we are reliant on Ennis, who is bad, to fill the void.

This trade costs accomplishes 3 things.

1.) It clears Brewer's deal off the books and sets us up nicely for a run in free agency.
    2.) It clears supposed malcontent McDaniels outta here, so we don't have to worry about disruptions.
    3.) Young and Calderon are not great players, but they are better than Brewer and McDaniels and check the right boxes:

Young:
    3pt: 41%
    TS: 62%

Calderon:
    3pt: 42%
    TS: 59%

The depth chart:

Beverley / Calderon / Ennis
    Harden / Gordon
    Ariza / Dekker / Young
    Anderson / Harrel / Wjiter
    Capella / Nene / Onaku

ramotadab and BigMaloe like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@larsv8 it would really depend on if the team wanted to risk the chemistry with bringing on Young. He seems like a knucklehead so that would worry me. If the Rockets took on Calderon, I would want to move Ennis out and create an open roster spot for perhaps a 10-day guy, or a late roster waive after the trade deadline.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Adding to this I think Dekker, who plays 85% of the time at the 4, should stay as a 4.

Beverley/*Calderon
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza/Young
    Anderson/Dekker
    Capela/Harrel/Nene

If they didn't want to give up Calderon then I'd be even happier. He's definitely got a shot but he hasn't played in all their games this year, he's averaging under 14 minutes a game and he's old. At least he's expiring.

Ennis isn't much right now but he's young. Let MDA turn him into a rotational player.

11. psman2

psman2 Member

I am the one who proposed this one over at realgm. I think this would work only if Young waives his player option next year like Lawson did.

Then we can waive Ennis and bring in a vet like Carl Landry to provide some front court depth.

#531 psman2, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    larsv8 likes this.
  12. larsv8

Props to you, it is a good deal

13. craguin

craguin Member

I don't think Nick Young would be a locker room problem. Bobby Brown has already stated Nick will join their Drew League team this coming off-season. (see below)

#533 craguin, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

D-rock likes this.
  15. craguin

craguin Member

Extending @steddinotayto 's basis in post #516 [ Jahlil Okafor to PHX / Tyson Chandler to HOU ] with 4th team (SAC) to match the number of incoming/outgoing players; attach draft picks / rights to players where applicable.

Are the 76ers looking for a point guard?
    [Philly.com - December 15, 2016] Jerryd Bayless has wrist surgery, ending his season

Philadelphia receives one player + draft pick(s) from Phoenix

76ers in: pick one → { Brandon Knight, PJ Tucker, or Jared Dudley }
    Rockets in: Tyson Chandler, Omri Casspi (cheapest expiring / not Ty Lawson ! )

Suns in: Jahlil Okafor, Corey Brewer
    Kings in: KJ McDaniels (team option for 2017-18 - exercise by 6/29/17)

Philadelphia receives one player from Sacramento + draft pick(s) from Phoenix
    76ers in: pick one → { Arron Afflalo, Darren Collison, Ben McLemore, or Omri Casspi } (Kings expiring / non-guaranteed contracts)

Rockets in: Tyson Chandler, Derrick Jones Jr. ← (would likely be waived to make room for Brewer)
    Suns in: Jahlil Okafor, Corey Brewer
    Kings in: KJ McDaniels (team option for 2017-18 - exercise by 6/29/17)

BigMaloe and steddinotayto like this.
  16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Rocket Out: Brewer + KJ + 1st
    Rockets In: Chandler + Jones

76ers Out: Noel
    76ers In: Brewer + 1st + 2nd

Suns Out: Chandler + Jones + 2nd
    Suns In: Noel + KJ

Suns trade a 34 C on losing team for a couple of young prospects. 76ers trade a disgruntled prospect for a couple of do-over chips. Rockets have to trade a 1st for Brewer's release...might as well be for a C we can really use

17. Rockets4Life13

Why would we trade a first rounder for an old guy with a big contract?

D-rock and Mathloom like this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agree. If it takes a 1st Rounder to get rid of Brewer then I'm fine with him staying on the team for the duration of his contract.

19. larsv8

Bringing in Chandler is going to kill out cap, I doubt that is something that the Rockets would do.

D-rock likes this.
  20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He also gives us great defense and rebounding. Maybe we should just keep surrounding James with talent instead of star chasing. I would love to kee this core intact and let them grow while bringing in Chandler. He doesn't appear to be slowing down any at all and PHX runs the court.

BigMaloe likes this.