1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Houston: Noel/Stauskas/Hollis Thompson Philadelphia: Brewer/KJ/Ennis +(1st x 17/18)+(two 2nd rd picks)
    or rights to Llull or Zhou Qi (depending on draft picks)
    Houston
    *Capela & Noel share 24 mins each w/guy playing better getting possibly more mins on that particular game.
    *Stauskas 6'6" SG that is PnR driving & kicking out well this yr. May have finally adjusted to NBA 3-pt range.
    Shooting over 40% from 3 most of this yr (small sample size). Will get more open shots w/Houston.
    *Thompson 6'8" SG/SF shooting about 37% from 3. UFA this summer like Tyler Ennis. Allows Ariza to expend
    energy on toughest offensive assignment while Dekker and Thompson man the SF position. Ariza becomes
    a defensive floater who can guard PG/SG/SF. Bev/Gordon/Harden can't always defend 6'6"+ SG's.
    Philadelphia
    *Brewer veteran presence to teach good practice habits or mentor Embiid / Saric / Simmons. / Okafor / Covington
    *KJ returns to get fans out of their seats. Gets playing time on a poor team. More patience w/76ers club
    *Ennis is a good PnR PG w/size. Just needs mins to improve. Jarod Bayless needs replacing. 76ers
    can sample Ennis with Embiid PnR. Brewer leaking out is ok with Embiid/Okafor presence.

Noel (was a 1st rd 6th pick) Stauskas (was a 1st rd 8th pick) Thompson (undrafted)
    Ennis (was a 1st rd 18th pick I believe) KJ (was 32nd pick....almost a 1st) Brewer (I think was a 1st)
    Stauskas under contract next year. Noel injuries & RFA this summer.

Of course deal contingent on them taking Brewer & Ennis. Picks and KJ/Thompson negotiated.
    1st team: Bev/Harden/Ariza/Ryno/Capela. 2nd team: Gordon/Stauskas/Dekker/Nene/Noel
    Reserves:Harrell/Thompson bring back Payton II

#281 Jatman20, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I was all for a Cousin and Gay trade before, and I may change my mind again if we start losing. But right now, our chemistry is good and growing....you don't want to mess that up. Hopefully DMo coming back now will not be a distraction, but rather make the team stronger. I'm more for an incremental upgrade that slightly improves the team, and definitely moves Brewer from playing or the team as a whole. It's really hard to judge right now. Morey has some hard decisions out there. Sure, there are upgrades that COULD be made, but at what cost is the key. What do we have to give up to get said upgrade player? If Morey can make any upgrades giving up no more than Brewer, Ennis, KJ, overseas prospects and picks, I'm all for that.

Rocket PR likes this.
  3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

You forgot that DMo is back! :D

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Never thought about this before, but do you think Lull purposely publicizes his intent on not coming to the NBA in the near future not because he actually feels that way, but maybe because he knows Houston loves to make trades and he doesn't want his rights traded around the league in case he does decide to come.

No one would trade for him if he says he's not coming.

5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm not sure D-Mo is back. Some bad blood has been created both ways. I agree with someone that posted
    here on CF when posted that the team was on pace for about 57 wins. Adding D-Mo probably doesn't increase the win total. To that I agree. But I think the deal I put there increases the Rockets win total
    5+ more games. Increased interior defense/improved perimeter defense w/Ariza as a designated wing defender with better coverage at the SF (by bumping Brewer out). Houston would have
    edge
    over Cavs and Warriors at interior defense. 3 pointers lost by not adding D-Mo, more than
    made up by Stauskas/Thompson. Ryan Anderson scored higher than any Rockets PF last
    year defensively on a site.....that includes D-Mo. I know different team different situations.
    D-Mo resembling a 7 foot Russel Crowe doesn't win anything with me. Rockets could pull
    their first right of refusal notice wth this deal ready to pull. Houston with Capela/Noel twin towers
    probably beats Utah with D-Mo.

#285 Jatman20, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Perhaps. Llull former teammate Sergio Rodriguez currently playing with 76ers.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Boston is the only team that has us clearly outgunned on picks (outside of Philly of course). We've got better prospects and quality vets.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think Ainge would throw anyone not named Horford or Thomas at Sacramento, including Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, etc. Those guys plus picks makes for more of an attractive package IMO.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think with Boston it's, do they want him? There was a report that Brad Stevens doesn't want Cousins; but that info didn't come from the source himself, so it could be b.s.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Phoenix has better picks to trade with youth talent and decent vets.

Lakers have best young talent and men vets but no picks.

Boston has better vets, better young talent and better picks and the clear front runner to land cousins.

11. steddinotayto

I think Cousins can be a headcase but I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt considering the bad environment he's been in since he got drafted by Sacramento.

Hell, Isaiah Thomas was a question mark and was perceived to be a lockerroom cancer prior to coming to Boston and he's working out fine.

A front line of Cousins and Horford would be ridiculous.

BigMaloe likes this.
  12. BigMaloe

Brewer to Philly for stauskas

They need some vets to teach the young guys the importance of practice and how to be professional. Stauskas ain't nothing but an expiring and brewer is on a decent contract for this CBA and Philly isn't exactly attracting free agents. I also believe they need to get to the salary floor or be fined. This helps.

Kj/2nd to Atlanta for korver.

Korver isn't what he was and is expiring. Atl is in a tailspin. He's still a knockdown shooter but better fit for the bench at this stage. Atl gets something for a player they likely don't keep after this season. Again we expire another expiring contract and flexibility.

Overall:
    Kj+brewer+2nd outgoing
    Stauskas+korver incoming

Increased 3pt shooting and upgraded bench and about $11m in extra cap space this offseason

Jatman20 and BamBam like this.
  13. steddinotayto

I followed Korver extensively last season due to him being on my fantasy basketball team and there's been a drop off in his shooting. Sure he's not hitting 3s at a ridiculous clip any more and is still a threat but I'd rather give burn time to Wiltjer and see what he can do.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Did you know Stauskas is one of the most efficient scorers in the whole NBA?

You can get a Brewer for the minimum. Sign anyone who runs fast and plays hard. That's how bad he has been offensively and defensively. I'm not sure why people aren't understanding that right now, Brewer is a player you have to pay someone to take from you. Why someone would pay us with a young player who is among the best shooters in the league right now is beyond me.

If you think about it from both sides, we have to pay Philly to take Brewer. They literally wouldn't take Brewer for NOTHING in return. They don't get fined if they don't reach the salary floor, they just pay the difference equally to all their existing players. That is a FAR better option than taking on Brewer for 2 years and $12m. If we are lucky and Philly's GM is an idiot, Philly might take Brewer and a pick in the 20-32 range for NOTHING in return.

On top of that, we have to pay Philly to acquire Stauskas because he's a young, cheap player performing well whose rights we would own to negotiate an extension. So let's say extremely optimistically we would have to send them a pick in the 20-32 range for Stauskas.

So if you take these scenarios into account, which are extremely Rockets-friendly when compared to similar past deals, we are looking at Brewer + at least 2 early second rounders for Stauskas and a $5m TPE. And that makes sense, I would do that deal in an instant. I'm sure Morey would. I'm not sure Philly would.

Jatman20 likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

What we really need is a rebounder at the 4/5 position. Sure getting DMo back will help with the rebounding and Harrell, when given minutes, has contributed nicely....but I still feel we need another guy that can defend and rebound. I'd love for Tyson Chandler to come in here and play 15-20 minutes of solid defense and he's accustomed to catching lobs via PnR throughout his career.

Come playoff time, everyone one of those 50/50 balls are going to be crucial .

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trade DMo for... something, before he realizes what Morey did to him.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

If PG13 is really available snag him

18. BigMaloe

I like stauskas, because he is quietly having his best season (contact year) and he had been incredibly expect this year, but you are over rating him. I'm not sure Philly even brings him back this off season and they have nothing in the backcourt as a potential core player.

He is a bench player on the worst team in basketball, having by far his best season (way better !)

As far as Brewer, we all hate him and think he is over paid and what not, but his pay scale under the new CBA, is exactly where he should be slotted which is back end bench player money. He's not over paid anymore and if we had to pay to dump him it would be with a 2nd not a 1st. Lin at 15 cost a first, brewery is same level of player at half the cost in a different salary landscape.

Yes I know he has dropped, hence why it would cost so little (previously scraps) to acquire. Wiltjer plays a different position and shouldn't be compared to korver, who would improve our bench over what we currently have.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think barbosa is a likely target.

20. fattz

fattz Member

His back... hehe