1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

3 team deal between us, Phoenix, and Cleveland, which lands us Dragic and a potential huge trade chip for the offseason

Houston IN: Goran Dragic, Brendan Haywood (has a huge non guaranteed option of $10.5M for 16)
    Houston OUT: Jason Terry, Alexey Shved, Terrance Jones, NOP 1st, Denver 2nd

Phoenix IN: Jason Terry, Alexey Shved, NOP 1st, Denver 2nd
    Phoenix OUT: Goran Dragic

Cleveland IN: Terrance Jones
    Cleveland OUT: Brendan Haywood

Why Houston? Rockets get a huge piece in Dragic for this season and would obviously do whatever needed to re-sign him. They also get another big body in Haywood to sop up fouls when needed. More importantly they get $10.5M in unguaranteed 2016 salary to trade. In conjunction with Papa, that would give them $15.4M in unguaranteed salary to trade in the offseason to get another top level player, who another team might want to contract dump. Yes, this costs them a mid 1st, a good 2nd, and a solid young PF, but it instantly makes them a better team in 2015 and gives them the potential for another huge move before 2016.

The Rockets would still have the Knicks' 2015 2nd, Knicks' 2016 2nd, their own 2017 1st, Isiaah Canaan, and Clint Capela as trade assets to make a big deal with the salaries of Haywood and Papa. Plus even DMo if the trade is right. If Miami misses the playoffs in the East this year and things look bleek, would they turn down DMo, the Knicks pick, 2017 1st and instant cap space in a Chris Bosh trade? I'm not so sure. Then there are obviously S&T options.

Why Phoenix? Suns get something for Dragic before he bolts during FA. They can't keep him because they aren't going to pay him the money LA and NY can offer. They get a mid 1st, which is better than anything else available from a contender, plus a very good 2nd from Denver that has pretty solid value. Also, they at least get a veteran G that at least is serviceable the rest of this year in the off chance something happens with OKC and Phoenix can still battle for #8.

Why Cleveland? Cavs get a young PF that can play right now and be their #4 big behind Love, Nurkic, and Thompson. They don't have any assets other than Haywood's contract to trade, so this is the only way they can add anything of impact. They need to win now, but this also gives them at least some fallback if Love leaves this offseason. Not likely, but it is at least partial insurance.

I think it makes sense for all 3. The only question is whether it just makes more sense for the Cavs to target the Suns' Plumlee instead of Jones and just deal directly with Phoenix. The problem is: Phoenix will likely want a better asset than just the Haywood contract for Plumlee and Cleveland has absolutely nothing to trade.

2. Nils

Nils Member

Two things:

1) when are these acquisitions going to happen?

2) if regardless means "without concern or regard", "heedless" , then what does irregardless mean?

3. malakas

malakas Member

er Haywoods contract is not as valuable trade chip as Jones. There are a tons of teams with capspace this summer and they will gladly faciliate cap clearing deals for lesser assets than Jones since there will be more competition among them. Look at Philly. They yet have to use their capspace and it's one week before the deadline and they are still under the floor. The value of capspace right now is not so high as it was lets say last year .

4. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

And doing that deal, my offseason hope/plan would be to get Brewer to opt in, re-sign Dragic with Bird rights, tender Bev and use the MLE or a significant portion of it on Josh Smith. Then dangle the ability to wipe $15.4-$23M of a contract off the books for someone, along with some intriguing young pieces. Hoping that Miami misses the playoffs and the future with Wade looks bad, my first call would be for Chris Bosh. Haywood and Papa's contracts, DMo, 2015 Knicks 2nd, and 2017 1st seems like a pretty fair offer.

I think that makes the following team a decent possibility.

PG: Dragic (Bev, Canaan)
    SG: Harden (Brewer, Johnson)
    SF: Ariza (Brewer)
    PF: Bosh (Smith)
    C: Howard (Bosh, Capela)

5. malakas

malakas Member

This team has four max players.:eek:

6. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Haywood is valuable for the offseason, not this season deals. I think Jones is more valuable than the Haywood contract, but, in this scenario, Houston is going all in for 2015 and 2016, so Haywood becomes the only way you can acquire BOTH Dragic AND another top player to go with Harden and Howard. All the while, you keep Ariza, DMo, Bev, and Brewer, with a good chance of keeping Smith. Essentially taking the hit of Jones for Haywood allows you to acquire Dragic, keep the entire rest of the core and still have a shot to add a significant veteran piece behind that top 8. With Jones around it makes it hard to justify Smith, but even harder is find a way to keep the rest around and a significant piece because the salaries just aren't likely to work.

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah, if Dragic gets the max. Ideally, I think you at least get Dragic to sign a graduated down deal like Ariza did, but if he wants the full max you bite the bullet and do it. But it can work within the rules. It is a super team and obviously it falls on Les to decide whether it is worth his investment. It would be put up or shut up time.

8. malakas

malakas Member

I know about his balooning contract however I'm not sure there can be a team with 4 max players. Dragic will get max or very near max.

9. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

There can be within the rules. The question is how can a team acquire/sign the players within the rules. This would give the Rockets that opportunity.

10. malakas

malakas Member

yes but you can't give Smith the MLE. Only the mini MLE. I'm not a cap expert but I do know this. Also no S+T.

11. Nils

Nils Member

Please explain why Philly gives up two players for DWill....and then spends $30 millions dollars buying him out(getting no value except for paying the cap minimum!!) They can reach the salary cap floor by signing players who will help them...

Again....why do you think that these 3 teams will line up to help the Rockets?
    Why do you think DWill will give up $15+ million dollars just to play with Dwight and Smith? In what world does Philly just throw away $30+ million, and DWill give up all of his money. He can sit tight, and get it all.

12. basketballholic

the picks the picks the picks....the picks go to Philly for using their cap space.

It's not about helping the Rockets. It's about helping all 3 teams. Read what I wrote and quit repeating rhetorical questions I've already addressed.

Rockets are trying to win a championship.
    Prokhorov is trying to SELL the Nets.
    Sixers are trying to collect assets for the future.

And DWill doesn't want to sit tight. He wants OUT! He wants to go to a contender and PLAY! He's not on a contender. He's not playing very much. And his career is going NOWHERE! He wants out. And he'll give up some money to get out. It's just a matter of HOW MUCH $$$ is he willing to give up.

My RANDOM TRADE IDEA accomplishes all 3 things.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah the only problem is Dwill will lose money. So it won't happen.

14. basketballholic

Cleveland traded for Haywood for the express purpose of using him just the way we would like to use him, as a trade chip this off season. So, they're not going to punt on that for a backup power forward.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Jones would make TT and his insane agent expendable. Jones is still cheap and they won't have to pay TT the 13+ mil he asked.
    OFC always risk that Lebron won't like it.

16. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Its very hard to envision D-will accepting to lose all that cash....Hes the type of player who will pick money over winning every single time i have no doubt about it.

Even then that trade is useless Mason plumlee and brook lopez and maybe dwell? why in gods name would we trade NO1 NYK2 and two 4.5M expiring contracts for that haul of ****, i mean really i don't see how those 3 players take us to the next level except for maybe dwell who i think is way past his prime and is a misstep away from breaking those ankles...This trade would be good for one reason and one reason only and thats if theres a big worry about Dwight.

We need someone who can lead the team, even with harden in there , get harden easier buckets and get his teammates easier buckets ...Answer is Dragic or Lawson anything else i would be extremely disappointed ....i might settle for collision but i see him more as a beverly type with more speed....

Ty Lawson will make this offense unstoppable because he can't be guarded one on one and excels in the P&R, weather its to create or shoot

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

[​IMG]

Gogi, Terry, Canaan
    Harden, Zoki, Johnson
    Ariza, Brewer
    Motiejunas, Smith
    Howard, Haywood, Dorsey

18. malakas

malakas Member

What exactly is Utah giving ?
    Also Cleveland is bent over. You have to give assets to get them to trade the Haywood contract before its time.

19. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

First, I said it was my wishlist, but I very much think it could happen, and we will definitely know exactly what it cost to trade for Dragic in a few days, because I'm am about 95% confident that the Suns will move him.

Second, the Suns could very well move out Plumless as they begin to restructure their team. Capela has great potential in a year or two, but also you are assuming that every player the Suns get has to be someone they want to keep long term, when in actuality, they could also consider him as a piece to another trade package down the road, and therefore very valuable.

Third, they will take back Dorsey in the deal in order to add in Zoran to the trade, otherwise we don't need or won't take Zoran. If they want to continue to make a run at the playoffs this year for a clear 1st round exit, while still adding assets (NO1st, Capela), then Terry and Dorsey can help them still try to win games. Sure G. Dragic is way better and helps them more, but the trade helps them with assets to better a non-playoff team down the road, instead of losing Dragic for nothing this summer. Also, we don't need Terry if we get Martin and Allen as mentioned. They both are better 2 guards and better 3 point shooters than Terry, not to mention veterans also.

But mainly, I think they accept this offer because I don't believe another team offers them a package that's better, and they need to get SOME value for G. Dragic. Now if some team offers more, sure many can but with the circumstances I don't think they will, then of course the Suns take the best offer.

True, DJ is playing great right now, which is why I want us to get him to back up Dragic. But the Pistons are 3 games in the loss column out of 8th place in the East, and probably WON'T make the playoffs. Jennings is still their man so far and DJ only has 1 more year before he may leave for a better team to be a backup on. They still need to rebuild, so getting Canaan and Shved to play point for them the rest of the year can give them a good look to see if Canaan can be a breakout player maybe. I would imagine that we would throw in a good second rounder as well maybe if necessary. They aren't going anywhere, so while they may not, they also may trade him.

Sure Allen wants minutes, but I don't think he expects starter's minutes or he would have come back already. He may be staying in shape, but he won't be in game shape once he comes back for a few games. At his age, I doubt he wants to play huge minutes for the amount of money he is going to be paid. The only reason to do it is to play for a championship using his particular skill set when needed to aid that team. He is a scoring machine and not a defensive juggarnaut.

So I think between our 2 and 3 spot along with small ball lineups, he would get between 10 to 15 minutes a night to shoot as many 3 pointers as he desires. The Rockets give him the best chance to shoot wide open 3 point shots for his minutes played, along with a chance to win a title if we can assemble the team mentioned.

I would love Martin here and don't think he should be in the rebuilding plans in Minny, but I could be wrong. Minny isn't winning anything anytime soon, so Martin is just taking up cap space and playing time on their team that could go towards rebuilding. Papa is a good prospect for their team, and Bev would be a good locker room guy and tough presence on their team for the young guys to work hard. They could probably keep and resign Bev as well this offseason, imho. I don't think we would need to, but I would even throw in a 2nd rounder to this package to get Martin. Off the bench he would be amazing for us.

I would like to add them both. In my proposals, we got rid of Dorsey and Capela and also have enough roster spots to add them both. In a rough estimate, I think we are okay on salary to add them all (including Allen) as well.

So I'm still wishing for:

G. Dragic/D.J. Augustine/N. Johnson
    Harden/Martin/Z. Dragic (add Allen in this spot if it makes you feel better)
    Ariza/Brewer/R. Allen
    DMo/Smith/Jones
    Howard/J. O'Neal/O. Okafor

Just send Johnson and Z. Dragic to the dleague.

20. Nils

Nils Member

Hey...I get that you're trying, and your hard work shows...I just can't see Philly paying $30,000,000 for a couple of draft picks...picks that probably aren't even top 10, or top 30(NYK). The owner of Philly is cheap...which is why he likes his team young...so spending that cash seems out of character. How do you know that DWill wants out? And wants out so badly that he'd give up millions of dollars? People are greedy by nature....

Morey will probably surprise us all and will trade for Jose Calderon, and maybe Hardaway, Jr. Calderon is a great shooter(better than any Rocket), and he dishes the ball. Hardaway is a shooter, and can get his own shot.