1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Hell no! Glen Davis is garbage. At least one of our forwards will be better than him. Ronnie Brewer will be our wing stopper, so Aaron Afflalo isn't needed. Nelson would be good to have if we gave up Lin, but the rest of the pieces don't make sense. Giving up Lin and Asik for Orlando's garbage is not a good trade. Besides, they're tanking this year, so its not like they'd want to take on Asik and Lin's contracts so they could be mediocre going into what's projected to be an awesome draft.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Forget the players involved and just focus on the concept of getting a deal like this done. Would this be something that Morey would entertain if he felt like the deals out there weren't good enough value???

Think of the Lowry trade for a draft pick, or the Harden/OKC trade where they essentially got a lesser cheap vet replacement and a lottery pick.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

How about this-

Houston trades Omer Asik to the Boston Celtics for Kris Humphries, the Celtics own 2014 first round lottery pick (top 5 protected), and 2015 Boston owned first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers.

PG: Rondo
    SG: Bradley, Brooks, Lee
    SF: Wallace
    PF: Green, Bass, Sullinger
    C: Asik, Olynyck

In the East, that's not a terrible team, and they are still going to be able to preserve Andrew Wiggins if they somehow win the lottery.

I'm not saying I'm advocating this type of trade, but If I'm Morey I know that I have to trade Asik at some point, and I'm taking all deals into consideration. Getting a high draft pick that might later be flipped into a key piece, or used on a high talent has to be considered.

4. gate470

gate470 Rookie

I thought the OP was joking. Guess not.

ABJ's out again. Jameer Nelson? Please, tell me more bball gods.

1 person likes this.
  5. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

If I was Orlando, I would do it for sure.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Keep plugging away. To be honest, I don't think Morey will have a problem trading Asik. It's just a matter of right team, right time, right deal. But no way will Asik and Lin both be here come 2014-15, given their salary balloons and Parsons' possible (in my opinion, probable) extension. And I don't think Lin is going anywhere, at least not anytime soon; seems we were just shopping him on the off-off-off chance Paul didn't stay with Da Clips.

#647 ROXTXIA, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  8. jocar

jocar Member

9. allaroundplayer

Wow, I was just looking at basketball-reference.com:

Dwight Howard has played 25,193 career minutes.
    Omer Asik has played 4,424 career minutes & is 208 days younger than Howard.

That is a lot more wear and tear (5.69 times more total minutes!!!) by Howard. It throws everything out the window if he can defy these numbers, but I noticed in the scrimmage videos, he was doing a lot of spectating & taking it easy. Why devise trades for Asik? If these statistics carry significance, Asik is the player to keep & Howard is the player to trade. I will give Howard the benefit of the doubt to show he is head & shoulders above Asik until it is proven otherwise, but right now it is too early to choose to trade EITHER player.

My question is: If Howard fails to live up to expectations, is he untradeable?

10. psman2

psman2 Member

Sure the concept is is valid for the Rockets but you have to find a team that values Asik enough to give up a lower lottery pick and match salary without sending a bad contract back. That's the rub. Get a lottery pick while not screwing over your future cap. Most teams that would want to give up their draft pick for him would be the teams already in the playoff picture and thus their pick would be higher. Most lottery bound teams are not trading their pick for a vet unless he is a potential building block. Asik is not a player you build around.

I think a three way trade would be the only route to accomplish what you are proposing here. So the team that gets Asik has to have a young player valued high enough that would entice the 3rd team to give up their lottery pick. So you were likely on the right track, but not the right player. Ross is not worth a top 5 protected lottery pick in this draft. I cannot think of any teams that needs Asik that has a young talent they are willing to trade to get a lottery pick back to us. CJ McCollum maybe, not likely worth a lottery pick this year though. Drafted players are like new cars, most loss value as soon as they are picked.

I don't think Boston is going anywhere near the playoffs this year. Last year's team won 41 games and I think the roster is not as good this year. Rondo is out until Dec or so, new coach, new system, no KG/Pierce. Asik would not be valued high enough by them to give up a on next years lottery unless we were to take back a bad contract like Wallace. Plus if your view is that Boston is going to be a decent team and Asik will make them a playoff team then their pick would likely be around 15-20. I would rather keep Asik or trade him for a player who could contribute than have a pick like that. I don't think most teams would like do to the Lowery type guaranteed lottery pick trades since they really ties they hands in making future trades. That trade might be the only one we ever will see structured like that again. Bryan Colangelo was fighting to keep his job and put a winning product on the floor when he made that trade. Didn't really work too well for him since he was fired. (However Landry Fields has decided to name all of his future kids Bryan in appreciation for his contract)

I would love the Hump plus Boston's guaranteed lottery pick for Asik but don't see Boston accepting this. Best offer from Boston (without taking back bad salary) would likely be Hump plus NJ 2014 1st and maybe the 2015 Clips 1st or a second rounder. So would this be enough for Asik? One year of Hump plus a likely a 25+ 2014 1st and a 2015 25+ 1st round pick. Maybe.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

12. rogower

rogower Member

Interesting idea. Humphries has an expiring contract and advanced stats reveal him to be a grossly undervalued player.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

jones/smith to toronto for novak.

that is all...

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

WTF, come on.

15. rogower

rogower Member

I've probably suggested this trade before, or a variation:

Jeremy Lin, Donatas Motiejunas, and the rights to Kostas Papanikolaou to Milwaukee

Omer Asik to Portland

Ersan Ilyasova, C.J. McCollom, and Robin Lopez to Houston

Obviously Ilyasova is a massive upgrade at PF and an ideal fit in Houston's offense. He renders Motiejunas superfluous, which allows Houston to use Motiejunas as sweetener. Lopez is a good backup C (16 minutes/game is all Houston needs from its backup C) and his contract expires at the end of the season. McCollom is really good, maybe as good as Lin right now (plus he has more upside than Lin), and obviously his contract (typical four year rookie scale deal) is far more desirable than Lin's contract.

The acquisition of Lopez also renders Greg Smith expendable, allowing Daryl Morey to flip him for a projected high 2014 second round pick to a team badly in need of frontcourt help. Reggie Williams then gets cut to get the roster down to 15 guys.

Starting lineup

PG Patrick Beverly
    SG James Harden
    SF Chandler Parsons
    PF Ersan Ilyasova
    C Dwight Howard

Key reserves

C.J. McCollom
    Terrence Jones
    Robin Lopez
    Francisco Garcia or Ronnie Brewer

End of the bench

Francisco Garcia or Ronnie Brewer
    Omri Casspi
    Aaron Brooks
    Marcus Camby

Stashed in the developmental league

Isaiah Canaan
    Robert Covington

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

his contract makes him untradeable, if we trade him we have to still pay for his contract plus like 50% I think.

17. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

The PF that Morey really should target, if it comes to that, would be Amir Johnson or Paul Millsap.

These two consistently, year after year, makes their team A LOT better when they're on the floor.

18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Think you are being a tad bit greedy with that trade.... plus, don't think Portland is going to just give away McCollom (word is they love the kid and envision he & Lillard as their long-term backcourt).

If you were to simplify the trade

Wesley Matthews + future 1st round pick from POR to MIL
    Omer Asik to POR
    Ilyasova to HOU

MIL needs a veteran SG / SF (Ilyasova is redundant with Henson + Udoh)
    Ilyasova becomes H-town's starting starting stretch 4 (D-Mo is depth at 4/5 along with Camby & G Smith & T Jones)
    POR gets a starting C (dumps Matthews & probably a mid / low 1st for a starting C)

19. Play07

Play07 Member

DMO & Williams -KINGS

Patrick Patterson -ROCKETS

20. rocker1213

rocker1213 New Member

I think that this trade makes a lot of sense for both parts, it would elevate our team to a new level

Bucks send: Ersan Ilyasova, Luke Ridnour
    Rockets send: Jeremy Lin

Why does it make sense for the Rockets?

Because we would be able to put Beverley in the starting 5, and he is a much better fit to play alongside Harden on the backcourt (better shooter and better defender than Lin, and doesn't need the ball in his hands that much). Ridnour would be a quality veteran backup to run the second unit, and Ilyasova is the much needed stretch 4 to space the floor and give Howard room to operate inside, not to mention that he is a good rebounder and decent defender (better than Ryan Anderson, for example)

Why does it make sense for the Bucks?

Lin would make them a very dangerous pick-and-roll team, since he's a great P&R ball handler and not only he has great finishers in John Henson and Larry Sanders, they have shooters to space the floor and make it work in O.J Mayo and Caron Butler. Their bench has some shooters as well, with Brandon Knight, Gary Neal and Carlos Delfino. And by moving Ilyasova it would save them some money and free up their logjam on the frontcourt, moving Henson to the starting PF spot and stablishing Ekpe Udoh and Zaza Pachulia as solid backups