1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

It was a hypothetical question. IMO, Scola and Gortat would help the team right now to become serious contenders.

By the way, what would D-Mo's ceiling be for you? Because we all know what we're gonna get from Scola. Solid veteran production at the 4 spot that can post up and space the floor with his 18 footers. Gortat and Asik are pretty even. More offense from the polish hammer and a decent defender/shot blocker as well.

2. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

This. We have the luxury to wait and be patient. Plus, next summer, both these guys will be good trade assets since they will be on expiring contracts after next season.

Worst case scenario, they'd be easy to dump if Morey wants to join the 2014 free agency bidding for LeBron, Melo, Bosh, etc. if the Warriors can dump Beidrins and Jefferson's combined $20m of expiring salary then getting rid of Asik and Lin's $16m salary wouldn't be a problem.

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Nope, not on our team. It's no surprise that he still hasn't received a contract offer up to this day when almost all significant FA's have already signed to new deals.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I think a poorer mans bosh is the inevitable ceiling, due to his lack of rebounding and defencive presence, however for the 20th pick its not the worst situation.

I wouldn't be interested in scola because he demands to many touches to be an effective player on the offensive end, and the Asik - scola trade would make our defence horrendous once dwight is taken out, like it was this year when Asik went out

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thought about posting this in the LMA threads but hopefully it will garnish some attention here. I think this is a deal that really does work for all parties involved for different reasons.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kg7g3ms

Houston Out: Lin, Asik

+maybe some light draft considerations to one or both teams. The deals are solid, I think every team is doing well here.

Houston In: LaMarcus Aldridge, Vasquez

Sacramento In: Asik, Lin

Sacramento Out: Cousins, Thornton

Portland In: Cousins, Thornton

Portland Out: LaMarcus Aldridge

Reasons Houston does this: 3rd star player, and another player you can play your offense through. Also if minutes are staggered, LMA can definitely fill in as your backup 5 when Howard is off the floor. One of the best jump shooting bigs from 15 feet. He can really space the floor out to that range when playing alongside Howard.

Vasquez is a downgrade offensively from an attacking standpoint, but offers stability at the position until a better alternative comes along. I think he's very solid, and defensively has great size to help on that end.

Lets face it, on this team, Lin just wasn't going to get a chance to shine much at all. In Sacramento, he gets to be the major offensive facilitator with a team largely built with pieces that complement his game.

Reasons Sacramento does this: Cousins has already pretty much asked out anyways, and finally they have a team of stable players, and are upgraded hugely from a defensive standpoint. I think this team could legitimately fight for the 8th seed because of how good they would be defensively with the additions of Asik & Mbah a Moute.

Also, I think Lin with this team would be a very interesting option. I'd like to see a lineup where Lin plays the SG position with either Thomas or Jimmer, and Lin is allowed to create off the P&R a good deal of the possessions. Also, Lin has some marketability that could help give them a more likable team nationally to follow.

Reasons Portland does this: Cousins is an interesting young replacement to LMA. He resets the clock back a few years to match the youth of Lillard as their young core moving forward. If LMA is looking to force his way out of town, getting a quality young player like Cousins is about as good as your going to do.

Houstons roster depth:

PG: Vasquez, Beverley, Brooks, Canaan
    SG: Harden, Williams
    SF: Parsons, Garcia, Casspi
    PF: Aldridge, Jones, D-Mo
    C: Howard, Smith

Possibly add another vet big like Camby for center insurance & depth to fill out your 15 man roster.

Thoughts???.... should I tweet this to Morey?

1 person likes this.
  6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think the Kings would be anywhere near the no.8 seed with that roster. I could see this as a "lets change the culture, identity and get another good lotto pick" type of move. But most likely not.

They'd be basically swapping Tyreke and Cousins for Lin and Asik. In terms of assets, i think that's a major loss. Worst of all, they can't even extend Asik, so he'll enter the market as an unrestricted FA in two years and they could be left with nothing.

7. dobro1229

I personally think Lin & Asik going into UFA in 2 seasons is a risk they would take, ASSUMING they are high on both players.

You're probably right that this isn't going to catapult them into 8th seed contention, but thats mostly because the West is so deep. The Addition of Asik & Mbah a Moute makes them an fairly elite defensive team. Still if Cousins is going to be on his way out in the next year or two, I think its a deal they have to look at as a way to be more competitive short term, and build a better culture long-term.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think with picks thrown in this is one of the more interesting possibilities. Asik and Lin give SAC 2 stable players with some lead by example capability. Cousins has the ability to be great if he can get his head straight. Did you consider, bringing Cousins and Thornton here? A front-line of Howard and Cousins would be very tough and our team would be a great environment for Cousins to develop in. Plus my one criticism of your deal is our back-up center options. Smith didn't show the defensive or rebounding presence I'd want in our back-up. Camby may have a little juice left, but if Howard misses time, he's not what I'd want as a starter. Cousins on the other hand can play minutes at PF/C and give us more versatility. Yes, LMA can do the same and GV is an interesting pass-first PG to have on this team. However, Cousins has the potential to be special (is only 22) and Thornton would be a a great back-up to Harden. I guess I would like either one of these options.

9. dobro1229

I did consider it as a "why not just trade for Cousins" argument. Here's why-

LMA is 28 years old. He's right around the same point in his career where Bosh decided to downgrade his role on the team for the better good in Miami.

I think LMA is the much better fit for a contending team. Cousins is at a place where he's got so much potential, but has some red flags. Also, you just dont know where his head is going to be at when he's the 3rd or 4th option offensively.

LMA just wants to win now, but still has 4 to 6 more high producing years. And has the perfect skill-set to fit in perfectly with Harden/Howard. Cousins might have some trouble playing without the ball in his hands along with his desire to be a franchise player.

From a financial standpoint, he's making far more this year at 14 mil, but when he becomes a free agent in 2 seasons, he could be a more affordable 3rd player option, while Cousins in 2 years could be getting a max contract offer from a team looking to make him their cornerstone player.

Having Cousins potentially hitting free agency next Summer, would put the Rockets in a difficult situation financially in regards to re-signing Parsons as well either next Summer or the Summer afterwards and going way deep into luxury taxville if Parsons also commands a hefty pay increase.

LMA coming off the books in the Summer of 2015 at 30 years old provides a much more flexible financial arrangement, and he'll probably be much more flexible in wanting to work with Morey to come back to Houston even for slightly less $.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not to mention, Cousins plays the same position as Dwight....

11. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

you're right on Philly tanking, and this trade helps them in that way too.

1.) Lin & Asik will be valuable big expiring contracts come next summer. remember what we did with KMart's expiring last summer? and Asik >> KMart.

2.) Tanking doesn't mean you don't need a PG, and tanking doesn't mean their boss wouldn't want as much revenue as possible. Lin puts fans in the seat while they're tanking. and who knows, Lin being the #1 option on that team might produce Linsanity part II.

3.) Asik is the perfect mentor to a player like Noel who's strength is D & rebound

4.) Philly is probably getting lottery picks in the next 3~5 years. a "protected pick" means you don't give the pick in 4~5 years or it will be a late 20s from other teams. Morey might help Hinkie out here;)

12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Not really because everyone will be trying to dump salary to get in the free agent race. And the longer they hold onto Lin the harder he will be to trade. And it's going to be hard for him to raise his trade value this coming year with Beverley and Brooks eating into his minutes. Not everyone can take advantage of his marketing ability like Houston can. I'm really starting to think he may be here for the duration of his contract.

And if Asik keeps insisting on being traded he will be moved.

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

Unfortunately, I don't think that Asik and Lin's contracts will be that valuable if they are mainly used as expiring contracts. Yes, each one of them would give the team 8.4m coming off the books, but is that worth paying 15 million for? I don't think very many teams would think that it is.

If we are going to trade either of those guys, I think their value would be higher this season while they are both basically a steal at 5 million to make up for the big payout they will get next year.

14. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I can see Sam taking one but not both. Possibly Asik. And if Morey can get that New Orleans first round pick for him and a player _ that would be a great deal.

But Lin in Philly is dangerous because that is a hostile fan base and if they bring in Lin with his price tag after they just traded away an all star point guard who had a great contract and if Lin doesn't put up all star numbers... Smh.. They'll run Sam out of town and Lin will be right behind him.

15. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Gortat will provide what we're losing with Asik's departure. I'm not that keen with the swap myself but i wouldn't be opposed to it either. Asik's minutes will drop all the way down to 15-18 minutes with Dwight's arrival so.. Anyway, this will never happen so let's forget about it. ;)

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We dont need to think about making anymore trades Da Sparks. Lets give this team at least 20 games before we come up with trade scenarios. lol

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

^ It's a nice fair trade idea though, if it worked financially.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Bored and tinkering around on trade machine...

Houston out: lin/asik/ny2nd
    Houston in: Ryan Anderson/gortat

Pelicans out: Anderson/Gordon
    Pelicans in: asik/ilyasova/

Phoenix out: gortat
    Phoenix in: Gordon

Milwaukee out: ilyasova
    Milwaukee in: Lin/2nd

Toss around picks as you see fit...