1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Do you think Josh Smith could fit with the Rockets and fill our defensive void?

1. Yes

460 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No Way we need someone else

94 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This deal would be a good one to lead to other deals, as far as the frontcourt is concerned. It could allow us to trade Hill, Patterson and maybe even Scola, for an elite prospect, without hurting to much down low.

Imagine a Nene/Dalembert center spot.

If we have to trade Scola for some reason, a Chuck/Carl powerforward is also very nasty, and gives Rick the option to go defense or offense.

I never realized it, but Landry is lightyears better than Hill will ever be. Patrick needs time as well.

I am high on a guaranteed 15 off the bench with Carl.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Trust me, they have a pretty good idea on how match the rockets will match. Anything over 8m and the rockets will either sign and trade or let him walk. Plan B is trading for Ellis. Thats what they're trying to do with that team. In fact, they have made a couple of pushes for ellis already this season, but the warriors are still holding out. The kings have the large 12m dalembert deal and some other young pieces.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Another random trade proposal in line with my and jopatmc's idea on what to do with Yao's contract if no star player can be obtained with it:

L.A. Clippers receive: Corey Brewer
    Houston receives: Sebastian Telfair
    Minnesota receives: Yao Ming, multiple 2nd rounders and cash

Actually, this trade would be three (3) separate trades:

Trade #1: Minnesota trades Corey Brewer into L.A.'s cap space for a second round pick

Trade #2: Minnesota trades Sebastian Telfair to Houston, to be absorbed using a portion of the Ariza TPE

Trade #3: Houston trades Yao Ming and cash into Minnesota's cap space for a $17.7M trade exception

Why the Clippers do this: They are under the cap by about $4M and are not likely to find a much better use for that space than to acquire a player of Brewer's magnitude. They get a "free look" at Brewer as a defensive swingman for them (something they don't really have) and also get a right of first refusal on him in restricted free agency. For this, they only need to give up a second round pick, which could be from among their own this year (the lower of Houston's or their own) or next year or perhaps even the second rounder that Detroit owes them this year.

Why the Timberwolves do this: There have been multiple reports that Minnesota does not view Corey Brewer as a long-term building block for the team. Also, with David Kahn repeatedly squawking about how Ricky Rubio will be on their team next year (which I personally don't believe), the T-Wolves have no room for Telfair as a fourth-string PG. They get "relieved" of the remainder of the ~$6.4M in salary for Brewer and Telfair this year, plus they get multiple (early) second rounders and cash for their troubles. Taking on Yao's contract--the key to this trade--would have a net zero effect on Minnesota, as the remainder of his salary would be covered by insurance. Heck, depending on how the insurance policy is structured (or how Les is willing to make this deal), Minnesota could possibly even get a windfall of the full ~$8M+ insurance payout at the end of the year.

Why the Rockets do this: Simple. They turn an expiring contract into (what might be) the largest Traded Player Exception in league history. With the exception of only a few of the NBA's highest paid players, the Rockets could conceivably trade for any player in the league during the next 12 months WITHOUT having to match salaries. Plus, the Rockets get well below the luxury tax threshold with this trade, potentially saving Les Alexander most or all of the financial benefits he would have to trade away in this deal (if not more than that). If all it costs the team is some cash and a future second round pick, why WOULDN'T they do it?

Just a thought.

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Well done. :)

I still hope the Rockets find a way to use Yao's contract to work out a three way trade (most likely with SAC) similar to the NYK-MIN-DEN proposal, to get both Melo & Nene, but that's probably far less likely than such a Yao-TPE type deal.

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Thanks. Funny, when I saw that you were the most recent post in this thread, I thought that you were going to be correcting me for some error I didn't quite catch! :grin:

Yeah, I'd love to get Nene and/or Melo. Fortunately, this proposed trade would not preclude the Rockets from going after those other players using the REAL player assets (plus the 2012 NYK pick) they have. Heck, this trade might give the Rockets the financial flexibility to make another trade that they might not otherwise have.

For instance, a deal like the [Hill/Jeffries/2012 NYK pick/cash] for [Nene/Balkman] trade I proposed a while back would be MORE feasible after my proposed Yao trade, as the Rockets would be significantly under the luxury tax and could more easily afford to take on the additional salary in another trade.

6. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Only question, Bima, is TPE future under new CBA. It could make all this ideas pretty muchh useless

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Good point. Didn't even think about it that way.
    Both of those moves are seem very realistic, as they make both sense from a finincial and talent standpoint. Not only that but it helps the team both short and long term, while keeping the risk at a minimum. I'd say they have 'Morey' written all over it.

[​IMG]

@_RTM_ I think it's pretty unlikely the NBA would get rid of the TPE's - at least the existing ones - considering they're products of 'unfinished trades'.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

What HMMMHMM said.

While it is possible that TPEs could be a thing of the past under the new CBA, I find it hard to believe that existing TPEs would be negated. This would both (1) screw over the owners who are then holding TPEs (like CLE, TOR, HOU, PHX, etc.) and (2) screw over the players, who would at least want the remaining TPEs in place to potentially drive up aggregate player salaries for the first few months of the new CBA. Seems like neither side wins by getting rid of existing TPEs.

Heck, I would think it only reasonable to "toll" the expiration date of existing TPEs during the lockout, so that teams like Cleveland and Toronto would at least get a few days after the lockout ends to try and use them before they expire.

But, for sake of argument, let's say that all TPEs go away and the Rockets get screwed. What did it cost them? A second rounder and some cash? The Bird rights on Yao? Are those things not worth risking on what could be one of the best trade assets for the 2011-12 NBA season?

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Martin + TWill + First + Jeffries + Clippers 2nd for Melo and Nene

New Line-Up

Lowry / Brooks/ Ish
    Lee/ Buddinger
    Melo / Battier
    Scola/ Hill / Patterson
    Nene/ Hayes / Miller

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

FYI, starting today, Terrence Williams can be traded in combination with other players.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Whatever the rockets do, the rockets should keep their aim at 2012. Many will not agree, but I think thats the only way they can get out of this rut. They dont have to tank to do it, but they need to have enough contracts ending to the point they only have about 30m in payroll.

Also, I think the no extensions policy is going to cripple this team going forward. When perspective,high quality free agents start looking at teams, they're going to want to see stability. A guy like Williams is really going to want to see that with what has gone on in Utah..

12. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Would you pull the trigger on this deal?

Brooks+Martin+Battier+Jefferies+1st round pick

for

Melo+Aaron Afflalo+Anderson

Then you have a rotation of

Lowry/Smith
    Afflalo/Lee
    Melo/Budinger
    Scola/Hill
    Hayes/Anderson

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

trades I would look into making if the team is serious about playoffs:

Trade 1:
    Brad Miller + Jared Jeffries to NO for Okafor

This will only happen if NO is that desperate to shed salary it would save NO around 25 million over the course of the contracts of Okafor and Miller. Miller is great for the second unit but the lack of a defensive center is the most glaring for the Rockets right now.

Trade 2:
    Jordan Hill, Aaron Brooks, Chase Budinger + 2012 Knicks pick by to NY for Wilson Chandler, Ronny Turiaf and future 1st (2016)

The pick allows NY to try to get Melo back now and satisfy some of Denver's terms without having to give up too much for Melo right now. Turiaf is just another defensive big to bring of the bench and Chandler is a nice SF to have. Both Chandler and Turiaf are expiring so if the Rockets wish to go the route of not keeping them you have that option as well or being able to resign them to deals.

Trade 3:

Shane Battier to Charlotte for Boris Diaw

Both are expiring, though Diaw is slightly larger. His play making abilities would be nice to have out of the post in lieu of missing Miller (if previous NO trade goes through) Shane would be a popular fit back in North Carolina and would probably be a calming influence and leader on that team that is trying to make the playoffs. Now whether or not Jordan wants to trade for a Dukie on his team though.

Final projected lineup if all trades go through:

Lowry/Smith
    Martin/Lee
    Chandler/Williams
    Scola/Diaw/Hayes/Patterson
    Okafor/Turiaf/Hayes

A lot more balanced and more defensive but its not like its suddenly lacking firepower either.

1 person likes this.
  14. bcast89

bcast89 Member

So do you think there's a high possibility that the Knicks pursue a trade before trying to trade for Carmelo to land more assets?

15. Sanity2disChaos

Shouldnt be too long before something is done then . With a log jam at the 3 something has to be done.......The question is WHO??!

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

While I do like the idea of having a lot of contract end at 2012, I think it is difficult to implement when the CBA for next year is essentially unknown and I just do not see Howard leaving at all. I could see Paul or Deron leaving, but for some reason I just feel that one of those teams will convince their star to stick around.

I also feel the no extensions policy was a temporary injunction due to the volatility of the Yao situation and wanting to have some flexibility to quickly rebuild if it blows up as well as the CBA situation.

17. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

I don't see Denver dealing Afflalo. He is part of their future.

18. Jdawg

Jdawg Member

My vote is for Budinger.

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You either have cap space for 2012, or you extend players before their contracts are up. You can't do both unless you can Jedi mind trick them into signing below market deals. Also, not having a labor agreement after this year means it would have been stupid to extend all but the most elite players before you have to. So, I disagree with your criticism in this area. Overall, though, you're absolutely right about focusing on 2012.