1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Do you think Josh Smith could fit with the Rockets and fill our defensive void?

1. Yes

460 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No Way we need someone else

94 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. tested911

tested911 Member

Man look at that trade proposal just for a second..

Now imagine yourself as a Nuggets fan..

2. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

Orlando receives: Brad Miller

Atlanta receives: Aaron Brooks
    Jordan Hill
    Chase Budinger
    NYK 2012 First Round Pick (top-5 protected)
    Future Draft Considerations from Orlando

Houston receives: Josh Smith
    Chris Duhon
    Etan Thomas

Orlando does it to get a true big to back up Dwight Howard. This deal fills a need for Orlando (similar to Alston trade). Brad Miller also has a better contract than Duhon when considering guaranteed money and length of contract.

Atlanta receives 90 cents on the dollar for a player that is arguably obtainable. They get three players on rookie-scale contracts and two future draft choices. Brooks (restricted FA) upgrades a position Atlanta has been trying to fill for a while, and would be cheaper to retain than Jamaal Crawford (unrestricted FA). Overall, this deal gives Atlanta's bloated payroll for a middling-playoff team more flexibility.

Houston gets serviceable back-up in Duhon and Thomas. I believe Josh Smith and Luis Scola could play together effectively in the front court, and would shore up some of the teams defensive deficiencies.

The rockets would still have adequate assets to complete another complementary deal to provide more front court depth. Maybe something like the Ariza TPE to absorb Andray Blatche's contract.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

A couple of things:

Financial: Chicago is $729,046 under the luxary tax. This trade would put them about $1.2mil over the luxary tax and therefore cost them about $5mil (added salary, rev sharing). To avoid that you could send Keith Bogans, who's semi expiring (unguaranteed) to Houston.
    I also think that even with Yao's semi insured contract the Kings still take on a little too much money. If I recall correctly the Kings are losing $25mil a season already, so I think you'd have to send them the maximum cash amount of $3mil.

Personal: I understand that the Rockets motivation for such a move would be getting the huge TPE, but I'm simply not big fan of CJ Watson. I'd rather keep and develop Ish Smith, but maybe that's just me.

As for Chicago, I think they'd rather get a younger, more defensive minded SG (C.Lee, Afflalo-type.) and if they're unable to do so I think it's more likely that they'll go after someone cheap like Anthony Parker. Garcia just doesn't seem like a guy the Bulls would want to pay that kind of money. JMO though.

Overall good idea, I just don't see the Bulls being interested in Garcia, which kills this deal.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You're probably right about most of it, except the part about Chicago's luxury tax situation. They are currently just slightly below the SALARY CAP. Remember, they dropped below and then used the space on Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer and C.J. Watson. It is literally impossible for them to be at the luxury tax threshold this season.

Anyway, I told you it was "random". Just bored, I guess.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yeah, you're right. For some dumb reason I was getting the numbers mixed up. Chicago is $729,046 under the cap, not the luxary tax. :eek:

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That's okay. I owe you a correction or two. :grin:

7. ABSOLUT DREAM

ABSOLUT DREAM New Member

TRADE IDEA: ROCKETS JUMP IN ON MELO TRADE TO LAKERS

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4pfrfvj

with the trade winds circling around the idea of melo landing in LA, i think this would be a good opportunity to jump in on the trade without having to give up any big pieces. we would make the trade better for the lakers with brooks and better for the nuggets with more cap space, a young pf to go with their young center, and a draft pick/more young talent if need be. meanwhile we would be getting a good two way center and sf. i know harringtons contract is long but i think he would be a good addition as a good scorer and a very underrated defender.

all of our sudden our starting line-up would be:

lowry
    martin
    harrington(could also be a good 6th man)/battier
    scola
    nene

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Are you nuts??? the Lakers come out even better than the Gasol deal

9. RocketEG6

RocketEG6 Member

Lakers fan. No thanks.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

What kind of trade is this?

The only way we jump in is if we get Nene and no bad contracts, considering we are giving up even value in Brooks + Expiring.

Why don't Lakers get a bad contract when they are getting all the talent essentially for Bynum, fing r****ded trade I swear.

11. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Yes lets give the lakers a starting team of

Brooks
    Kobe
    Melo
    Odom
    Gasol

12. AggieRocketsFan

This trade idea seems sort of random.

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'll give this guy a break, only 3 posts and just made his account last month. Let's go easy.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

15. Stilldream'n34

Boston-F Shane Battier
    Houston-G Avery Bradley/C Jermaine O'neal

Boston could use a guy like Battier and might be more interested right now with Daniels getting hurt.

Houston gets Bradley who is only 20yrs.old and has alot of upside as a combo guard. O'neal at this point is filler to make trade work. Would have an expiring contract next season.

16. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

17. joesr

joesr Member

18. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Just tried to laugh on some clutchfans members with their fantasy stupid trades

But then I looked on Hollinger number of wins and I have one question:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=5wr6btq

Are the Rockets so much miserable that even trio of Howard - Lebron and D-wade couldn't help us or it's just another nail intothe stupid "Hollinger stat system" head?

Lol

It's really looks kinda funny

19. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

O wow. it's changed

It was -1 win for Rockets
    Minus 2 for Heat
    and minus 1 for Magic :grin:

20. RocketMania1991

I predict Andre Iguodala.

Nobody expected the Martin trade last year, was purely out of the blue. I wouldn't be suprised if we land Iggy.