1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I agree 10000%.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I hope we can be smarter about our defensive scheme, not switching everything if there is a guard getting easy penetration on Covington or whoever we are switching. That would require a detail oriented coach and staff game planning for each team and a group of high iq players who know when and when not to switch, but it would be more effective

fckbandwagons and So Saith Red like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I completely agree. Last year defensively we really had issues. If you believe Turner, he didn't have ample time to work with the players and they simply were not smart enough to buy into his system. If you believe MDA and the front office, Turner did not make adjustments for the players the Rockets had on their roster, so MDA and Brase had to step in and take over a lot of the defensively changes.

I do think there is some truth to the Rockets lacking the IQ to know when to switch and when not to. I especially think we are going to have problems with Westbrook on this issue. He either completely sags off his man or he just jumps the passing lane. He really seemed lost. Harden has gotten a lot better, I am optimistic that he would figure it out..... Tucker and Covington should not have an issue with it. Having said that, I do think the Rockets need to look to add smart players to the group that they have.

We will see what happens on the coaching front. I know Kenny Atkinson was expected to get the Bulls job and he lost out to Donovan. He is very detail oriented and he is equipped and experienced enough to mold his system and details to what the Rockets have on the roster. He also would likely insist on a level of depth that MDA did not. I know MDA said he did not have the depth to go deeper, but the last few years we have watched solid players sign for the minimum or close to it while the Rockets did nothing..... I have to think that if the coach is telling Morey to add depth, he would do it.

Looking at a lot of the names linked to the Rockets coaching staff, I don't see many detail oriented guys. Ty Lue made great adjustments against the Warriors in the Finals, but his team was a mess during the regular season. Sam Cassell isn't known as a detail oriented coach, but someone that is good at development. Chris Finch is known as a really creative and bright coach, but he has a more hands off approach as well. As for Jeff Van Gundy, he IS detail oriented and I think he has learned to be more flexible, but his adjustments with the Rockets were brutal. He really did not make any.

D-rock, Deuce and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Hate to break it to ya man but EG is here for awile lol..

5. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I like RoCo a lot but I think we need to see if we can leverage him as a centerpiece for a disgruntled star, not unlike how Philly flipped him and Saric for Butler. Realistically, I think his portability and 3/D fit on any team is the most attractive movable asset we have -- pretty much any playoff team would want him, but the question is who is willing to overpay for him? The teams that come to mind first don't have anyone expendable I'd be super excited about (Dallas, Indiana, Portland, Brooklyn etc), but I could see Indy moving Myles Turner if we throw in another sweetener. They haven't had a great 3/4 3/D guy in a while, since Turner/Sabonis are more traditional bigs, and Warren is all about offense.

I like Turner because he's a unicorn but he does disappear at times, and he's also slower footed than say, Capela on switches. He's also not as good of a lob-guy. But he's a far better option than anyone we have, and would at least space the floor and protect the rim.

I don't think moving EG or House is likely. Mostly because EG has little trade value and is potentially worth more to us than others (see: playoffs), but his consistent inconsistency sucks. And punishing House for the bubble incident by moving him would be short-sighted since we don't have cap-flexibility and he's on a very team friendly deal and fits a needed role.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm fully aware of his contract but that still doesn't make him untradeable. Hard to trade? Yes. Impossible to trade? No.

D-rock likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I will scream Indy until MDA winds up somewhere else.

Eric for Turner is way more fair than anyone here can see.

Sign bazemore

Russ/Nwaba
    Harden/McLemore
    RoCo/ Bazemore
    Tucker / House
    Turner/ Bruno

fattz and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Replace bazemore with shumpert
    Get another big to let pj come off the bench
    And a veteran PG

And let’s roll.

fattz likes this.
  9. rocketseagles07

Can RoCo guard the best SF's in the league? He was getting COOKED in the playoffs

10. foggy94

foggy94 Member

It's really not. Eric Gordon just had the worst season of his career, and he's 31 with a troubling history of injuries. Turner is 24 and while his development has stalled, a new coach can give him a kickstart. Trading him for Gordon would be an awful trade for Indy. I'd love it

fattz, Nook, treyk3 and 2 others like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

We absolutely need better players with way better BBIQ.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

we’ll see, sounds like MDA will be going to Philly, I guess we should be ready to welcome Joel, Thybulle, Ben and Richardson.

Edit:

Russ and Eric for Simmons, Horford and Richardson.

Who says no?

I'd prefer Simmons, Embiid and Thybulle but no chance.

#1512 treyk3, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Rudyc281 and waytookrzy079 like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

So Stephen Silas is our guy then?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

For Gordon and Tucker? They'd be perfect for MDA's system in Philly. I'm down.

Win-Win - Rockets get the size they need. Philly/MDA gets players that fit his system to a T.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

If I had to bet money, I would bet it on Joerger being the Rockets hire.

There are already two of Joerger's assistants on the staff, and he is someone that Morey thinks highly of.

Joerger is only in his mid 40's.

lilbird20, Deuce, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

I remember a funny story about him from an AMA on reddit. This guy was like scout or something for the Wizards....and he said of all the teams that were the most unpredictable it was the Kings, he said Joerger had a lot plays they can run through....which is good right lol?

Rudyc281 and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Joerger's teams were considered the hardest to prepare for. He knows basketball really well and is innovative.

Deuce, Rudyc281, treyk3 and 1 other person like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I completely forgot about Joerger. I loved what he did when he coached Memphis. I'm on board with this hire.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

D’Antoni to Philly? Hope he wants Eric Gordon

Houston in:
    Josh Richardson
    Mike Scott

x

Philadelphia in:
    Eric Gordon

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3dpbgqa

Eric Gordon salary jumps up to $16.8M at season’s end.....so Rockets may need to add Clemons or someone or Philly may have to add salary.

treyk3 and Rudyc281 like this.