1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Best case scenario is still Turner I think.

House, Eric and a 2022 FRP for Myles Turner. We are able to work without a hard cap if Tilman is really ready to prove Daryl wrong.

We start with

Russ
    Harden / Ben Mc
    Covington / Nwaba
    PJ
    Turner

Resign Bruno to a 4 year deal at a team friendly rate.

Russ
    Harden/ Ben MC
    Covington/ Nwaba
    PJ/
    Turner/ Bruno

Decide who to spend the MLE on. No longer beholden to use it on a big man with Turner in fold. Millsap or Goran would both be intriguing but even better for Tilman. No need to really spend it. "save it" lmfao for buyouts.

Instead focus on players on minimum deals. We definitely need a punch off the bench to play back up playmaker. Trey Burke is tied to Silas. He should be a priority even at the MLE if needed. Another potential reclamation is MKG also closely tied to Silas. Ariza would obviously be great.

Russ/ Burke
    Harden/ Ben
    Covington/ Nwaba
    PJ / MKG or Ariza
    Turner/ Bruno

That looks very very good.

Imagine getting both MKG and Ariza.

Russ/Burke
    Harden/Ben
    Ariza/ Nwaba
    RoCo/ PJ / MKG
    Turner / Bruno

That's an 11 man rotation. Obviously Bruno would need to break out (he's going to) to get real minutes but RoCo, MKG and PJ all have the size to play small ball center in stretches. That's a championship team to me and allow a lot of different looks.

Another option would be RHJ. He's close to breaking out I believe and still has youth on his side. I would attempt to sign him long term because you want team control if he breaks out into an Iggy type player.

Russ/Burke
    Harden/ Ben
    RoCo/Nwaba
    PJ/ RHJ
    Turner / Bruno

#2141 treyk3, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Vivi, randerson and Deuce like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Denver has Jamal Murray why do they want Chris Paul?

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Same reason Houston wanted him when they already had Harden. Chris Paul is like a really, really good player. Just re-proved his status as a veteran leader and difference maker. This is a guard driven league and he's still one of the best. Most teams play 3 guard line ups?

I mean it's not like there aren't reasons...

D-rock likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't want Bruno around. He has been given too many chances despite his injuries. Replace him with Bolden. He plays tough ball.

I'm okay with signing Noel with the MLE, if nothing else works out. Re-sign Jeff Green for another yr with the vet minimum.

D-rock likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, it's not necessarily an obviously "top seed" lineup, but if oy could do your trade, and add Christian Wood for the MLE, that'd be a solid go at it.

Russ/Rivers/Clemons
    Harden/Ben
    Covington/Nwaba
    PJ / Wood
    Turner

^ I did not include anyone else. Resigning Jeff Green would be great, but can't see that happening for the minimum but you never know.
    But what they need from him, or someone is, is a legit solid 3/4 backup... as i have no clue about Nwaba and actually think he's more of a 2/3.

Wood is a 4/5. PJ can be 3/4/5. Turner is kind of exclusively 5.

Who is the Covington backup?

That said, the above starting lineup can be really dangerous defensively, which is the most interesting part, especially if Harden remains committed defensively.

If Charlotte can't find any takers for the #3 pick that is a legit deal, and Harden gives the ok, I'd also do this.

HOU: Russ, BMac, filler
    Charlotte: #3, Batum, Rozier

Basically you are giving Charlotte a "STAR" player and taking a ****-TON of salary of their hands. Granted, they have to take back Russ' salary. Not that the Rockets have a lot of future picks to give up, but I'd add a future pick if necessary.

Then it becomes:

Rozier/Rivers/Clemons
    Harden/Nwaba
    Covington/Batum
    PJ/Wood
    Turner
    #3 pick

Rozier puts up stats but is a net negative as "the man" on a team like Charlotte, as the eye test and advanced stats would show. Next to a Harden, he should be solid though. He shoots 40% from three, and is capable offensively at least. From Charlotte's perspective, as noted, they aren't going anywhere. With Russ at least, he can maybe drag what's left of that squad into the playoffs. Probably not... but i just feel like Russ is a better fit next to Devonte Graham and their young guys...

saleem likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Why not both?

There should not be a bidding war for either.

Bruno has guard skills for a 6'9 big with 7'7 wingspan. Bolden with similar skill set at 6'9 and 7'3 wingspan.

Silas is a known development guy so why not get both? Both Bruno and Bolden still 25 or younger.

treyk3 likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Can't wait until Bruno breaks out. If he's back I'm 100% positive he's going to surprise everyone.

fattz, Plowman and D-rock like this.
  8. saleem

Bruno can shoot the 3.That's not enough. His shot blocking is soft. There is not even a hint of intimidation in his game. His guard skills are limited, despite all the chances he had to develop them. It's clear, he isn't a hard worker. His IQ is limited, and he is afraid of contact. I believe he will lose confidence in his jumper too, when he can't take the heat. I doubt if even Nene could get through to him. Noel plus a healthy Giles would be very nice. Noel plus Bolden would be good enough for me too, since Giles plays hurt frequently.

fattz likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

It took 5 years and 3 teams before Christian Wood broke out.

It took Covington 4 years and multiple teams as well.

Goran Dragic did not become All Star caliber until he went to Miami - 4 teams and 7 years into his career.

PJ was a journeyman rotation player for a decade before Rockets made him a small ball starting 5.

Some players take time to figure it out.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don’t think he’s ever watched Bruno play. He can pretend he never doubted him when he breaks out next year.

fattz and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets have more than 3 future FRP.

Rockets still own following FRP:

2021: 1-4 protected; 5-30 OKC swap
    2022: own
    2023: own
    2024: 1-4 protected; 5-30 to OKC
    2025: 1-10 protected; 11-30 OKC swap
    2026: 1-4 protected; 5-30 to OKC
    2027: own

Many are confusing the swaps to not having a FRP.

Rockets only traded 2 picks to OKC outright.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

#2151 D-rock, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    jch1911 likes this.
  12. saleem

True, but I have no faith in Bruno. He has been in the league for the last 6 years, with nothing to show for it. I do look at a player's skill set and how he fits into the team, but mental fortitude comes first in my book. This guy doesn't have it. Noel has his warts, but he plays well on the court. He is better than Clint and waaaaaaay better than Bruno.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, even if i'm not a great fan of Turner, i think offensively he would fit well, i'm more worried about his defense, but on paper he might be the best fit out there, especially cause his salary pretty much matches perfectly Gordon's. Rockets would actually also lower the overall salary by sending out House too so, that should be good for Tilman too.

I'm still convinced the Pacers would've to trade Oladipo first though, in that scenario their need for a player like Gordon should rise considerably, otherwise i don't know, i feel like if Oladipo stays, they might prefer to trade Turner for picks or rookie scale contracts.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

CORRECTION

Wood played for 5 teams (76ers, Hornets, Bucks, Pelicans, Pistons) in 5 seasons.

Dragic did not become All Star until a full.decade into his career (4th team - Heat).

RoCo did not become 1st Team All Defense until his 3rd team (Timberwolves), 5 years into career.

Bruno is on his 4th team in 7 years, but was only 18 when he was drafted. Bruno only 25.

There will be players drafted in this upcoming draft who are already 23 or 24.

15. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

Get ready rockets fans. Bout to be some bad news.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. 18pbr

18pbr Member

What happened?

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

You already said Ty Lue was the next coach!

Just tell us what you heard and don't be ominous.

Trading isn't even open yet.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Give us a hint man...or at least a little taste of that sauce...

18pbr likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bruno might not play with the fire you prefer or may not display the best off court IQ (vs. House who displays poor on court IQ).

But Bruno's skill set on offense - 3ball, putting ball on floor and attacking rim, post offense, passing, mid range, FT, running in transition, playing above the rim, rebounding) are perfect for the Rockets pace and space.

And Bruno is even better fit on defense - switchable, length (6'9 with 7'7 wingspan), disruptor (deflections, steals, blocks - perimeter & rim), athleticism, stamina (only 25), hustle, closing out 3 point attempts, defense in transition, recovering even when beat, deterring shots, etc.

Little Bit and 18pbr like this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

maybe basing it off this?

Rudyc281, D-rock and Vivi like this.