1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don’t think the Knicks would trade Mitch. He and Barrett are the cornerstones

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well the deal this works with Wayne Ellington (non guaranteed $8M) instead of Taj Gibson (non guaranteed $9.5M)

Knicks can still have a front line of Julius Randall, Bobby Portis and Taj Gibson. They will be adding the great and
    wonderful Eric Gordon and D House.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Mitchell's game, great rim protector.

But Mitchell is going to restrict Rockets paint space because he cannot play on perimeter especially when Russ on court. And in addition to changing the offense, Rockets will have to change the defense because Mitchell is not switchable, better off in drop coverage.

If trading with Knicks, Bobby Portis may be the better fit - offensively and defensively. Not a true rim protector though. Similar to Jeff Green in some ways, just not as explosive an athlete.

Giles is a no brainer IMO. Even though he is not a 3ball shooter he can still play 5 out because of his passing and ability to put ball on floor and attack rim. Not a great switch defender yet due to knee injury affecting his lateral ability but he is getting close to 100%.

Like Giles, Galloway is a great pick up too. Bit on small side but he is a tenacious defender and excellent 3ball shooter.

Like idea of saving money but I'm hoping for a better trade return if we lose all our best bench 3ball shooters.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you counting the cap holds for Sefolosha and LMaM as well?

Not a lot but should be enough to re-sign Jeff Green IMO.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Knicks are not giving up Robinson (22 years old DeAndre with some upside and with two more seasons of rookie scale at pretty much the minimum) for 32 years old Gordon with that salary when they also have guys like Barrett and Dotson on the roster.

For as dumb as they are, there has to be a limit to their stupidity, and i think swapping Robinson (which is literally their only center) for Gordon is definitely over that limit, even for them lol.

lakersuck2 and D-rock like this.
  6. acruz2

acruz2 Member

Aaron Baynes for me would be the ideal player the Rockets need!!

fattz and D-rock like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm torn as to who I want the most for the MLE:

Harry Giles before his knee injuries was unbelievable, could do anything on basketball court at 6'10 with 7'3 wingspan, so skilled.

Josh Jackson was originally taken 4th in his draft class because he is also a 6'8 freak on offense and defense. Needs to overcome off court issues.

#2127 D-rock, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I got some random trade ideas for 2020-2021. is there a thread on that yet?

9. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

At first I thought this trade would benefit all parties involved:
    https://tradenba.com/trades/l8jCQ472j

But then I thought that isn't enough of a jump up for the Knicks so added another star who has fallen the last years:
    https://tradenba.com/trades/jclZnUAlf

Rockets In: Ben Simmons
    Rockets Out: Russell Westbrook, HOU 2024 2RP

Why: Tilman should like the cutback on salary; Simmons would be an ideal roll man for Harden, an elite playmaker for the team, and has elite defense; May have to send out a 1RP swap or protected pick

76ers In: Kyle Lowry, NYK 2020 1RP
    76ers Out: Ben Simmons

Why: Embiid and Simmons are not a great tandem, both need shooters around; Lowry can shoot 3s, plays bulldog defense, champion, and is from Philly so may re-sign on a team friendly contract!; Morey gets a lottery 1RP to attach to a Horford trade; May demand another asset

Knicks In: Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin
    Knicks Out: Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson, Frank Ntilinka, Julius Randle, Wayne Ellington, Efrid Payton, NYK 2020 1RP, LAC 2020 1RP, DAL 2021 1RP

Why: Star Power!; Knicks get a former MVP who plays hard, would improve their current team, and provide veteran leadership; Griffin can shoot 3s, secondary playmaker, and be a roll man for Westbrook while dominating post touches; Team will not miss players sent out; Will make the Knicks/Nets rivalry must watch TV; May need to send out another asset

TOR In: Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson, Frank Ntilinka, DAL 2021 1RP
    TOR Out: Kyle Lowry

Why: Receive potential replacements for Gasol and Ibaka on expiring deals to allow flexibility; Re-sign VanVleet!! and make Ntilinka be the backup PG; Get 1RP for next year for trading Lowry; May need another asset; Raptors need to rebuild and retool for a year or two as I don't see them getting past the 2nd round as constructed (Goal: Find great 2-way swingman like they did with Kawhi)

Pistons In: Julius Randle, Wayne Ellington, Efrid Payton, LAC 2020 1RP
    Pistons Out: Blake Griffin

Why: Replace Griffin's contract with Randle's; Other 2 contracts are expiring;
    Re-sign Christian Wood!!; Get 1RP for upcoming year for trading Griffin; Pistons need to rebuild and retool for two or three years as not even close to a playoff team with Griffin

A 5 team trade is practically impossible but it at least gives a guideline of possibilities.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don’t know. Mitchell is two years in the league and about 144 ORtg each year and 107 DRtg each year. That’s
    with Ellington not shooting great this season and Julius Randall not shooting 3’s.

Basically I want a big center circa to Myles Turner minus the big contract. Big centers used vs big centers.....which
    is for about basically 7 players (as offensive threats) in the NBA. And most of the big centers nowadays want to be jump shooters. European bigs.....facing the basket, not back to the basket.

Harry Giles coming in for the Durant, Giannis, John Collins, Ben Simmons type Centers we will face in the playoffs.

According to 82games.com Giannis played the teams center position 14% of the time during the season @ a PER
    of 38.......keeping opposing centers to a PER of 16. If the Bucks dump some of Brook Lopez, Robin Lopez and Ilyasova
    and add more SF’s......they would be unbeatable. That would be real SF’s that are 3-D guys. Not a 6’3” Eric Gordon
    called a SF. Or 6’3” McLemore called a SF. Or 6’3” Westbrook called a SF. Or 6’3” Austin Rivers called a SF.

I can’t put 7-footer Brook Lopez, with 7-footer Marc Gasol, with 7-footer Pau Gasol, with 7-footer Robin Lopez and
    call them all SF’s and expect to win in the NBA playoffs....I don’t honestly think Gordon/WB/McLemore/Rivers playing so much of our rotation wins a championship either.

#2130 ApacheWarrior, Nov 1, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Galloway, Teague might be better since he is a PG, but I don’t think he will do well as a backup. I’m looking for a backup for Russ.
    Giles would have been my preference, but I will go after Noel with the MLE. I’m convinced that TF won’t even consider it.

Ben Mac is more reliable than Gerald Green.

I know Robinson is a high percentage scorer and a good rebounder, but I don’t know much about his defense. I like Taj Gibson. He is NYK’s PJ Tucker.
    I do like the premise of your ideas.

D-rock likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Set it up....the rest of us will follow

smoothie and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

ORL: Eric Gordon, Ben McLemore + 3 Rockets FRP
    HOU: Jonathan Isaac, Mo Bamba

* Rockets save 6M in salary albeit giving up 3 future first round picks. Isaac injured for next season but will be DPOY soon.

Sign Harry Giles with MLE.

*Giles has guard skills in 6'10 frame.

6'3 Russ
    6'5 Harden / 6'5 Nwaba
    6'7 RoCo / 6'6 House
    6'10 Giles / 6'5 PJ
    7'0 Bamba

*This starting 5 can still play 5 out because Harden, Russ, Giles can create their own shot/drive & finish or kick out and Harden, RoCo & Bamba are threats from 3. And defense should be extremely disruptive, switchable and grab boards.

Vet min options: 6'8 Josh Jackson (fingers crossed), 6'8 Jeff Green, 6'9 Bruno Caboclo, 6'7 Ryan Broekhoff, 6'9 Jonah Bolden, 6'6 Justin Anderson, 6'6 Theo Pinson, 6'4 Tyler Johnson

Next season Rockets can re-evaluate Russ and Harden trade but Rockets will have building blocks in Isaac, Giles and Bamba. All 3 will be 24 or younger next season.

Trade Russ for PG13 (or send 30 year PG13 to 6ers for 23 year old Simmons) next season and this team would be crazy.

#2133 D-rock, Nov 1, 2020
    fattz likes this.
  14. rockets13champs

Maybe i wrote it out the wrong way originally or u didn’t understand. What I mean is playing all 15 guys here and there in the season to then give these bottom guys confidence obviously u don’t do it the whole season u do it early on. U never know one of these guys can get hot and earn a consistent spot. Then I went on and said maybe a guy like Michael Frazier can gain confidence and become a rotation piece with us going 8-9 man to maybe 10-11 man. Also these deep teams that go 10-11 man deep also have situational rotations. Like for example miami does. They don’t play certain guys against every team. They have guys they like to have reserved for certain matchups we can definitely do this. We brought in Demare Caroll to rot on our bench im certain even if we played him situationally he would’ve made a difference

15. fattz

fattz Member

I like the thought, but we don’t have 3 FRP & Isaac is the Magic’s future, I don’t believe they let him go. If we were to get all the vet minimum you mentioned there may not be a need for Isaac.

Maybe something like Tucker (positive trade value & don’t want to pay, he could give some leadership to them as well) for Bamba would work well then work the rest of your plan.

There is a lot of size and redundancy in your plan but I truly like it a lot because each player does something different. Keeping Eric Gordon till the deadline will only help his trade value and there will be an even bigger role for him on our team when Rivers walks. If we can sign up all that talent on term and cheap, the future trades will be a lot better for us because of the quality of the filler.

D-rock and Tristan_fiore like this.
  16. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I do think Rivers opts out. I think they might bring back Bruno. Not sure about Nwaba or Clemons. Maybe move Clemons if they can in a trade. I’m thinking a lot of veterans minimum contracts. Thabo and Chandler are both gone. I would bring back McLemore and I think Gerald Green is back as well.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I do expect McLemore and Nwaba to be here as well. If you add those guys in..

Westbrook/Nwaba/Clemons??
    Harden/Gordon/McLemore
    RoCo/House/Gerald Green
    Tucker/Jeff Green/Bruno
    Noel/PJ

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

rockets 3 FRP? I didn’t realize they had those. That’s a lot of first round picks. Don’t think that’s feasible.

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I would like that if they could pull that off.

Unfortunately I think Eric Gordon has to be moved.....and it may take packaging him with McLemore (even House)
    to do it. That’s what pays for Jeff/Gerald Green/Bruno/Nerlens.....maybe even one more vet minimum contract.

Thanks for adding a few more details to your plan. I like it. That’s the route I would go. Option B....blow it up.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Saw a proposal that had CP3 going to the Nuggets for Harris, Barton, Bol Bol and picks. Was wondering if maybe the Rockets could horn in on that one and land a big man.

Houston in: Steven Adams
    Houston out: Eric Gordon, 2022 FRP, 2022 SRP

OKC in: Harris, Barton, Bol, 2 2022 FRP, 2022 SRP
    OKC out: Chris Paul

Denver in: Chris Paul, Eric Gordon
    Denver out: Gary Harris, Will Barton, Bol Bol, 2022 FRP

Denver adds a ready made veteran backcourt to bolster Jokic and Murray. Still has room to resign their own. The window is wide open. OKC rebuild in full effect. Youth, picks and cap room. The future is shiny. The Rockets land the big fella and go for it all.

Westbrook, Rivers, Clemons
    Harden, McLemore, (Gerald Green)
    Covington, House, Nwaba
    Tucker, (Jeff Green), Moute
    Adams, (Hartenstein), (Caboclo)

We've got to pick some D-League all stars up or something. Pay the tax and win a chip, the returns are there Tilldo. Ask Les.