1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. fattz

fattz Member

We need knight’s cap space spent elsewhere. Paul & Harden have to be backed by the same player or very small contracts so we can field a competitive team. IMO

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

The thing I hate about that trade is the whining on ClutchFans when Ariza walks again this summer. Then everyone says it's because Tilman's cheap and should have given Trevor whatever he wanted to convince him to stay because the's the key to our entire defense.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It starts with CarlHerrera and picks up steam. It's like the Twilight Bark in "101 Dalmations".

DreamQuake, steddinotayto and topfive like this.
  4. SRR21

SRR21 Member

AD and Griffin now asking for trades hopefully makes it easier for Morey to o pull the lower key moves our roster needs. Everyone focus on these guys then Morey pulls a couple rabbits out of the hat.

mikol13 and D-rock like this.
  5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I’m guessing our trade deadline mentality is something like this:

1) Swing for the fences

All of these options are extremely unlikely, but with the likes of AD, Beal and Jimmy Buckets all officially/unofficially available, DM will do his due diligence. We would be remiss to not at least try. Nothing will happen, though, which leads us to Step 2....

2) Turn Knight into something of value (while preserving our FRP’s)

I’m calling about players like James Johnson and MKG. Players that are also on bad contracts, having down years or in situations where a change of scenery would benefit them. Any combination of those three elements. Both are utility defenders that could do wonders for boosting our overall defense and taking pressure off Tucker. These are two targets we could potentially land without involving any FRP’s. Selling teams on Knight will likely be difficult, though.

Another possibility might be Courtney Lee. Like Knight: bad contract, bad situation and looking washed.

3) Try to flip Chriss (and filler/draft considerations) for a utility big

Players like JaMychal Green, Vonleh, Dedmon or Ed Davis that can rebound and help keep us afloat in CC’s absence. We’re getting murdered on the inside.

Easily the most likely option of the three I’ve listed.

4) Get another shooter(s)

It goes without saying: we’re shooting threes at a historic rate, so if we’re not the absolute best at it then there’s room for improvement. In our case: there’s a lot of room. Another wing player(s) that can shoot, defend and perhaps supplant Ennis/Green in the rotation.

A player like Mirotic is another intriguing possibility given his positive similarities to Ryno, but likely a moot point given that NO will want nothing to do with Knight’s contract.

5) Get things squared away with House

Likely a product of the system and yet another fringe/buyout player Harden makes look like a rockstar, but I’m going to be very disappointed if he’s not brought back at some point. I realize there are a lot of variables that factor into this stalemate, but it’s pretty obvious he can contribute. For a team that’s suddenly (and thankfully) finally interested in purging all subpar NBA talent from the roster (Nanu, Melo, Zhou, MCW), it seems pretty counterintuitive to sit him on the sidelines completely.

6) Use Harden’s ability to make fringe/buyout players look amazing

Play the buyout market. Pretty self explanatory.

#1325 baller4life315, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Deuce, whiskeyred and RichieBanks like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm with you on everything accept #3 …. I don't think this team needs another Big now that they have Faried …. He'll be Capela's primary backup once he returns and I think that is enough at the 5 spot.

What I'd much prefer to see is a 4 that can take some pressure off of Tucker , ideally a guy like Kuzma .... Not that I believe we have the slightest chance to get him , just that he's the type of player I'd be looking for.

Just no more 6'4"- 6'5" guys …. someone with length that can shoot , rebound and defend but there's not a whole hell of a lot of those guys in the league ….

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

We’ve been out-rebounded every single game since CC went down. Faried has helped, no doubt, but we still need more size and rebounding. At least until CC returns.

I’m fine with letting a Vonleh type battle it out with Faried for backup 5 minutes. In an ideal world, they can play minutes at the 4 too - which Vonleh (and Green, Johnson, MKG and Davis) can do.

As for 6’4” or 6’5” players, generally speaking, I agree. But if N.Y. is willing to do some sort of Lee-for-Knight based swap, I’m all over that. He can defend the wing spots, and at the very least can take Green’s minutes.

8. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

9. Fungus_Amongus

How about Brandon Knight and 1 second round pick for Solomon Hill?

10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'd rather have Moore, Miller, or Clark. Hill looks like he's Knight level now.

11. Fungus_Amongus

I forgot about Darius Miller. He is really much more interesting than Hill. Moore and Clark are too undersized for wings.
    Maybe Chriss and 2 second round picks for Miller?

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It'll depend on whether or not we're bidding against anyone else but in a vacuum maybe one second would be enough. It's not like they need him anymore.

13. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Neither Fareid nor Capela can shoot outside of three feet (much less from 3) and neither can create their own offense. Playing both would destroy the Rockets spacing offense. The only reason Fareid is doing so well is that he is always involved in the pick and roll. He can’t be used to space the floor because defenders will just ignore him.

I expect we will almost never see them on the floor together outside of pre-game warmups.

The Rockets should absolutely look to make trades to improve at wing. Fareid is not a wing, he is a backup center.

luckyman76 and seeingred like this.
  14. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Laker and LeBron tampering is really ridiculous. AD has a dinner with LeBron then boom. Every major peace out there is link to LA.
    Kawhi
    Kyrie
    AD
    Klay
    Is it just the media? Or is the NBA looking the other way while Magic,LeBron and Rich Paul treat the league like a cheap buffet ?

saleem likes this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

When did Griffin say he wants to leave Detroit? I believe he wants team improvement, but that doesn't mean he is implying he wants to be traded.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

6ers get worse by adding AD.

Unbelievable for a top 5 bm player and perennial MVP candidate.

Problem is that this is probably spot on. Embiid and AD not a great match.

17. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Rockets need to make a power play on Covington or Mirotic. I think one of them added to this group puts the Rockets over the top. Laugh away.. but the Rockets are just one small tweak away and being healthy to beat the warriors!!

But i dont know if Morey will...IF he knows that he will need the pick this year to trade for AD.

Unless he plans on moving EG for a pick and then adding our picks!!

Whatever the Rockets do... I just hope no trades leak and get our players upset!!

coyotetex likes this.
  18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Forget about that bum...injured with a bad attitude.. im good.

Give me Davis.

For Clint+EG+ and picks.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not good enough, I believe. Clint doesn't have much upside.

20. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I absolutely agree. Mirotic is actually reasonably solid as a defender. I would far prefer Covington but either should significantly improve this team.

How many 1st rounds picks will it take to swap Knight for Mirotic or Covington?