1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BetterThanEver, Mar 25, 2009.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I agree. Test everybody once a month. That way there is no discrimination and the administration's goal of creating more jobs will be furthered.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When did I say that? I'm against the "bonus tax" as proposed by Congress. I am for rolling back the Bush tax cuts for those in the higher income brackets, however, even if I might be affected by it.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

For crying out loud, thumbs. Would you just toss the Constitution in a dumpster and say to Hell with it? Please tell me that was sarcasm!

4. thumbs

No, every April 15 we have to pay federal taxes regardless of whether we agree with them. Also, like registering to vote, there are certain things we have to do periodically.

If everybody is testing -- elected or non-elected -- we will cut down on illegal drug use because it would show up in the testing. Goodness, aside from the extra drug testing personnel, just think how many jobs in the rehab sector would be created.

I'm just trying to help the administration create more jobs! ;)

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If something like what you suggest were to occur, I wouldn't want to live in this country.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They consume and purchase, which generates local and state sales tax revenue.

7. thumbs

My friend, there are a lot worse things in the world than urinating in a cup and losing a lock of hair. Also, you would lose the element of fun if you always knew when I am being tongue in cheek. ;)

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Argh!!!

9. Artesticle

Artesticle Member

The Republicrats have been trying to do that for years. Reference the Patriot Act, War on Drugs, Gun laws and so on.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Dumb logic. I give you $100 voucher because I will automatically get $8 or $9 back? Or the realistic case, I sell that voucher for $.50 on the dollar, turn around and spend that money on drugs ... now I don't even get those few dollars back.

11. rocket3forlife2

This mar1juana fight is so dumb. I personally know a Judge, 2 lawyers, and a woman who owns her own physical therapy practice who all smoke daily….Guess what? Only 1 is a black guy.

12. rocket3forlife2

F.Y.I

The government seems to lump that in with more powerful drugs as well.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think it is a mistake to test elected officials. Do you deny the will of the people over a drug test? There's an opportunity for corruption here -- knock off political enemies by doctoring their drug tests. Maybe, you could test them before elections.

Generating tax revenue is overrated. If they don't create value, the government is better off cutting out the middle man and taxing the guy who actually created the wealth that the guy sitting at home is consuming.

Who was talking about black people? What's your point? We should stop persecuting pot smokers because there are too many white people in that group? :confused:

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

are you the black guy? If so stop posting when you are high. Your spelling is always terrible.

1 person likes this.
  15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Why should we pay for their drug consumption for lazy drug addicts? There is no sales tax revenue on drugs. The dealers spend the profits on more drugs and black market guns to kill innocent people that rat them out.

16. STIX

STIX Member

I really hope the THC is out of my body by 1st of the month. :D

It's actually a good idea but, I really don't think it will happen.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

For the naive, yes they sell food stamps even if it's on a debit card.
    When I got people coming up to me to pay for my groceries with their debit card, if we work out a deal and I paythem less than it would cost me. 1) They don't need food. 2) They ain't using that money for food. 3) I ain't supporting the local drug dealer, who will use his profits for weapons to shoot anybody that threatens their job.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How is this treating them on a level lower? People get random drug tested on some jobs, and Ive had a drug test before starting any job.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Do you submit to random drug testing on your job? Do you pilot a commercial aircraft? Are you the engineer of a train? Are you the driver of a passenger bus? One could argue that random drug testing of people in those positions might be a good idea. Personally, while I'm against testing anyone, I would at least listen to someone advocating that, but I'm against random drug testing. And random drug testing for something like this is discrimination, pure and simple. Discrimination because they are poor. Discrimination because they are helpless to fight it in court. Discrimination simply because you can.

I'm also think it is wrong to do drug testing to get a job. If someone doesn't consider my word good enough, they can take their job and stuff it. That's my opinion. It is an invasion of privacy that I just won't put up with. You are free to do so, if you wish.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, I don't get random drug tested, but I have gotten drug tested before starting every single job. I think it should be the same for people taking taxpayer money.

People said these same things about welfare reform that Clinton passed, but the worst case scenarios and claims of discrimination did not come about.