1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ralph Sampson All-Star MVP on TV today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 23, 2010.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

NBA TV is showing the 1985 All-Star game today. That's the one in which the Rockets' Ralph Sampson won the MVP award. Definitely worth checking out for those of you who wonder about how 7'4" Ralph stacked up against 7'6" Yao Ming, talent-wise. For those of us who watched the Twin Towers play, it's a poignant reminder of the Rockets dynasty that SHOULD have been.

If that's not enough to grab your attention, you can check out Bird and Magic in their primes and see a young MJ *and* and young Dream.

It's on at 1:00pm here in Cali -- check your local listings for time.

1 person likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up! :cool:

(runs to DVR - 3pm in Austin)

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Magic made Ralph MVP, and Ralp took advantage of it. Perhaps Sampson's two biggest problems to having the career he was 'supposed to have had' were:

1 The drafting of The Dream
    2 RS' steadfast determination to be in the Guiness Book of Records as tallest
    3 ever imagined.

If Ralph had come out one year earlier he would have been a...Laker. Sampson with Kareem, and Magic. No BigGameJames.

4. BleedsRocketRed

Man watching Sampson out there really just reminds all of us old timers of the dynasty that never was. Injuries and drugs killed it all. Such a shame. He was the best 7+ footer to run the floor the way he did. Awesome

5. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Ah yes, those were the golden years, the best years to be Rockets fans, even if cable tv wasn't available here in the Philippines. I was trying to watch any NBA or any Rockets game on FEN (the Far East Network) which was broadcast from Subic Bay or Cubi Point when the US still had military bases here. Our TV had to have some device booster to receive the signal. The quality wasn't good. Then there wasn't even internet or cell phones, so I really would be anxiously waiting for the morning papers to read the the previous day's NBA results.

Ralph Sampson, though lacking in durability, to me, was and would be superior to Yao Ming. He could run the floor and dribble like a point guard. Seeing him, John Lucas and 'Akeem' run the fast break was so fun to watch. They destroyed any opposing team when they were on a fastbreak.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ralph could drive you crazy sometimes dribbling the length of the court ignoring options out the kazoo (just ask DoD!), but when he was healthy, yeah, not question that he was better than Yao. Vastly better, in my opinion, and I love Yao.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yao is solid, excellent. Ralph was mercurial - great and worthless. Which Ralph would show up?

I remember Hakeem destroying Sampson when they first met after the trade. I also remember Ralph exploding in the first game after Hakeem fractured his eye socket.

Oh, Ralph...

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ralph Sampson was never the same player ever since he got hurt in Boston, pre Boston injury, that guy was great.

1 person likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

True, to a point. And that point is he did not have the above the shoulders make-up to be great. He wanted to be a matrix. He wanted to be cute, not tough.

Ralph Sampson had great height and great talent - but if he had Yao's head and heart he might have been GOAT. I'll take Yao Ming any day of the week over Ralph Sampson.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I'll take Ralph Sampson and pair him with Dream, cause I know that team could beat championship teams.

And Ralph proved his heart in game 5 when Dream was out.

When Yao wins a game for us and Michael Cooper is laying on the ground with his hands over his head, then I'll change my mind.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, a cheap shot with Ralph, since he wasn't the same player even before the trade (which is why he was traded), as tinman pointed out. He averaged 34 games a season after the trade and played 43 games his last season with Houston, the season after they went to the Finals. The 3 seasons before? 81 games per season average. I won't bother listing his acomplishments in college or during those first 3 seasons. Yao averaged about the same nuimber of games his first 3 seasons as Ralph did. I invite you to compare their numbers. Please. Then come back and talk about Yao re Sampson, the same Yao who's averaged 59 games a season during the last 4, a number "inflated" by the 79 he played last year.

And this post isn't about being negative with Yao, who I love on the Rockets and have great admiration for, it is about defending Ralph Sampson.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLztLLPjyjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TLztLLPjyjY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. tinman

Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgrqJnX7VwY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgrqJnX7VwY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/33zoUo_HuSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/33zoUo_HuSQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

14. tinman

Supporting Member

And yes another Rockets victory against you-know-who

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wu81XQSqp3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wu81XQSqp3c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGBP8o8Y3vI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGBP8o8Y3vI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's tough to argue with your arguments but I'll argue that Ralph wasted his great talents BEFORE he was hurt. Remind me - was he ever the same after Jerry Sicting (sp?) beat him up?

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I respect Yao. I didn't respect Sampson. Sorry, my glasses have a different tint than yours and Tinman re: Ralph.

In some ways we're discussing Bynum and Curry, two men of comparable size and talent IMO. I am referring to the crossroads Sampson faced 25 years back. One has had a coach and team which has demanded his improvement and focus. The other became trapped in a system/systems which have made him an albatross to his team. Curry is weak 'in the head'. Bynum, too IMO, but Bynum has been forced to do-it and Curry has languished into bumhood.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Are you serious? Now I'm really at sea. I'm not following that argument at all.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I respect the 86 team and Ralph was a major part of that.

or did you forget?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LF740MqYbOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LF740MqYbOs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

buzz me when Yao drops a legendary nba greatest moment that propels the Rockets to the finals.

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

thanks for the heads up.

#19 haoafu, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That team's coming together after the suspensions was one of my GOAT fan experiences. Ralph was a big part of it, yesthankyouMichaelCooperverymuch.

It doesn't alter my ultimate disappointment in the devolving RSampson.