1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer's Tech

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FFz, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Pete the Cheat

rafer grabbed the ref who broke up the trash talk between he and KG. it was playful and something he does from time to time...he has a pretty established routine at this point in his career.
    a ref across the court made the tech call (scott foster?) based on the fact rafer touched the official.
    a very weak call by the official considering how close the game was. there should have been a phantom make up tech at some point...since that is how the nba works and all...

2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

You can continue to hate on Rafer, but the truth is he is the best PG that we have.

Brooks still makes rookie mistakes. He got drive happy at the end of a game, a time when he should have been milking the clock with a comfortable lead. Notice Coach Adelman no longer has playing at the end of games. He lacks the vetaran basketball knowledge about controlling the game, tempo, and clock. He is also a liability on the defensive end. I have confidence in a season or so Brooks will be the best PG on the team despite his size.

Barry is very good. He is probably the best PG on the team, but his age is a major factor. Barry has more basketball knowledge than Rafer. He has a burst of speed you wouldnt expect him to have at his age. His shot is also way better than Rafer. But due to Barry's age, I believe it is unwise to have him playing a bulk of the minutes. He is more valuable in short bursts off the bench and playing cautious so he remains healthy for the season.

Rafer grew up playing basketball in South Jamaica Queens and the Rucker.
    He is a notorious trash talker, but so are the Celtics.
    He enjoys talking trash to the other team and trying to get into their head.
    Lets face it, basketball is a game of concentration and confidence so Rafers playground tactics may do some good.
    However, Rafer could not contain himself and wound up getting a crucial tech at the ultimate wrong time.
    Although I am a big fan,
    He should know to STFU when the games on the line!

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

Every single player on the floor would have reacted the exact same way if someone was in his face talking smack. You don't know what you're talking about.

Bad call that could have potentially changed the tide of the game. If they hadn't gotten that point then we would have had the ball at the end only down by 3. We would not have had to rush a poor 3 pointer like we did.

4. Just2MuchHype

Just2MuchHype Member

He was trash talking with KG and the ref told Rafer to stop and Rafer kept talking the ref T'd him up and did not T KG because KG is the star and the refs last night pulled a donaghy by giving Boston each call

5. Pocket Rockets

i beg to differ.
    yao wouldn't have reacted like that. barry wouldn't have. neither would battier.

rafer shouldve walked off. simple as that. game is on the line. If the situation happened in 1st or 2nd qtr so be it. but 3 min left in the 4th. USE YOUR HEAD.

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I can't remember what he said, but I read his lips before the tech was called, and I called out what he said and then he was slapped with one...ah it'll come to me i think it was something like you effing prick?

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

I'll give you those 3 guys, but pretty much every other guy on the team wouldn't stand for being trash talked.

Now I agree with you that he should've walked away. But I'm not going to fault him for standing up for himself especially when **most** of the team would have reacted the same way.

And the ref that called the T wasn't even the one standing there. It was some random guy across the court.

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

landry had a bunch of joke fouls too

9. jedicro

jedicro Member

I thought the first half was officiated very much in the Celtics favor, but I thought we got some calls in the second half that sorta evened it out.

The tech was big and was a poor call, but outside of that there wasn't much. You can't blame the refs for this with the way Yao and Artest shot.

10. monster

monster Member

I dont' really care if Garnett was talking smack to Rafer.....Rafer has to be smarter than that. Way too much at stake to get a dumb tech like that. I thought the refs were pretty hard on us last night, but when you look at the stats, it wasn't that lopsided.

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

I agree he should cool it, but you can't just add this to the list of why you should hate Rafer. He isn't the only one that would have reacted that way, that's all I'm saying.

12. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

KG is a punk, funny how he talked really tough to Rafer but didn't have much to say to Artest.

13. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

The point that is being missed here with looking at the box score and saying that the refs eventually evened it out is this: if Utah and Houston both end up with the same number of fouls called on them then that means we really got screwed because the Jazz commit twice as many fouls. And that was pretty much the same situation last night with the Celtics - Pierce grabbing Tmac's arm as Tmac ran across the top of the key on more than one occasion; lots of slamming into Artest on purpose; moving picks & screens and only saw one called, lots of hammering Yao and little of it called. Thibodeaux knows just like Sloan that if your guys all commit 8 fouls the refs will only call half.

This game was major BS.

14. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

You must have missed the part where Barry was about to smack dude in the face. :eek:

If you were at the TC dont act like you didnt look over to the bench at Ron. :D

15. FFz

FFz Member

The ref that made the call was Scott Foster. He wasnt even the ref that seperated KG and Rafer. He was across the court walking up. It wasn't his call to make!

Incidently scott foster has been "cleared" of all suspicion by the NBA's own self probe.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/05/110508fostertalk.ap/index.html

No wrong doing cause he said so. Thanks NBA!

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

Should've been a double tech

17. count_dookoo

count_dookoo Member

yeah, i agree. brooks doesn't seem handle the pressure well. in the 4th quarter he turned it over a couple of times and wasn't able to feed the ball to yao or putting us in our offensive set. he's nice for a change of tempo, but not for closing out games. (at least for now.)

as for barry, until now he shoots the 3 as bad as rafer, doesn't penetrate or score on drives at all and it's a defensive liability. so i'd still take rafer in his place.

the technical was just bad luck. i didn't think it changed the game. we would have lost by 3 instead of 4 points. so what?

18. shakegod

shakegod Rookie

if had no that T,we possibly win at last,although Yao and Artest performed not good.Rafer please calm yourself

19. LoveRoxHateJazz

It's simple. Rafer had money on the game. DUM DUM DUM. :eek:

No we didn't. One make-up call for a blatantly obvious screwed up call is just one call.

Sherlock Holmes in the house.

Rafer
    T-Mac
    Artest
    Scola
    Yao
    Battier

Good work, we must always find ways to blame Rafer. What's funny is when he starts making those shots and this team goes a on a nice winning streak, Rafer Alston will be the last of your thoughts.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We have been waiting more than 4 years for him to make a decent percentage of his shots, but a guy with a career shooting percentage in the 30s is not going to suddenly get better.

RAFER STINKS !

DD