1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer's Tech

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FFz, Nov 5, 2008.

1. FFz

FFz Member

Anyone know why the tech was called? All i saw was KG give rafer a face full of his bad breath and rafer taking offense to it and talking back. The ref closest to the action didnt do anything and just seperated them. Then some hot shot ref decides to call a tech. Guess who made the tech?

Donaghy's phone buddy! Scott Foster!

I can understand if it was a double tech or something, but why single out rafer? KG was talking smack too! Also the officiating in that game was horrible. They let so many no calls go but get yao for 2 quick fouls then another 3rd... wtf.

We were 2 point favorites in the books btw.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He got it because he is a dunder head who continues to make boneheaded plays at inopportune times.

DD

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I was a bit miffed to see him get a tech when I was expecting a double tech there as well.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Even Rick Adelman was saying if it was a tech it should have a been a double tech. You could hear him in Bill's mic.

It wasn't the straw that broke the camels back though, just one of many bad calls during this game.

5. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Crappy tech, I'll give you that. I don't think we got screwed out of a win by the refs. We got our share of calls too. Plus, we shot 40% and they shot 50%. The fact that we only lost by 4 is astounding.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Cause he is a dumb fudge?

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

this is the rafer we know and...........hate

we still need a point guard who can disrupt. we need a guy who can get into the lane and finish. all rafer does and jack up threes. he's not the guy we saw over that 22 game streak. He cant do that for a full season.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, it's rafer's fault that it was a bad call. :rolleyes:

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, but Rafer shouldn't have been in at the end of the game in the first place. I still would have rode the young Brooks to the end. Your playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the ball with Rafer in the game, Brooks is starting to turn into a real playmaker.

10. Hayesfan

There was a definite reason that the starters were in at the end of the game. Adelman wanted to see that lineup in a pressure situation.

If this was the playoffs, I am going to say he wouldn't have been in.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That doesn't seem like Adelman to me. He coaches to win each game. Particularly against a team like Boston at home, he's not going to reduce his chances of winning to teach his players a lesson, like Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich might.

I think he honestly felt that Rafer's defense was more important than whatever Brooks could bring. He felt that T-Mac would run things in the end, so Brooks wouldn't be much more than a spot up shooter anyways.

12. Hayesfan

That's possible as well. I just think that Adelman made an in-game decision to let those starters run with it. Even though the lineup he had on the floor was competing he wanted the starters in. He didn't want to mix it up, he wanted the starters on the floor.

I even made the comment in chat when Yao and McGrady came back in, and Scola stood up to come in a few seconds later that he was going to run the end of the game with the starters. Sure enough a minute later Ron headed to the scorer's table the next time we saw the bench.

I am sure he wanted to win, but he wanted his starters to win it.

13. battousai

battousai Member

This is another game where it was fixed by A REF.

Both sides got their share of calls, that's because they have to keep it close as the book is +2. Beside they know someone will be looking at it under the scope. That last call on Alston was really uncall for as a double tech should of been the fair deal. They gave a double before in the game, so why not again?

the quick 2 fouls on Yao was *%$& up, Yao had good hand in the first few minuates and then he was shut down by ref.

I wonder if anyone could see how many fouls were called on which player and by which ref.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who put the ref in position to make that call? What was Rafer hoping to accomplish?

Rafer just makes boneheaded decisions at the worst possible time.....

He is THE WEAKEST LINK.

DD

15. Pocket Rockets

bad call or not, he still let his ego get in the way. He could have easily stepped away from the situation knowing there was a little over 3 min left in the 4th quarter and the score was 92-86.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

KG is known as a trash talker, how do they not call that a double tech?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you can say that about any bad call. Well, so and so was part of the play, etc., etc.

You're hatred for Rafer is fine and mostly deserved...

I just think the point of this thread is that it was a bad call, and regardless of what Rafer did, the call was bad. He could have not sad anything...and he could have not even showed up to play. A bad call is, by definition, the refs fault.

The Rockets lost the game in the first quarter, in retrospect, when there were a number of suspect calls. By the end of the game, I think the bad calls had evened out, but in general, it wasn't a well refereed game, imo. And that new ref they mentioned at the beginning...wow...yikes...

18. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Mr. DD - Let me ask you this....Would it have different if Artest got the Tech instead of Rafer? Also tmac missed a freethrow. Also Yao had at least one clean dunk....all that factors in I think.

19. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

The defending champs get the calls, simple as that. The difference is that it's Boston because when the Rockets were defending their title in 94-95, they never got the calls except for Olajuwon. The refs were terrible and did blow some make-up calls but that's not why we lost the game. Also, why didn't Berry and that other dude get double technicals for pushing and shoving ?

20. H-Town Forever

I agree with DD here. at the present moment rafer is the weakest link. his shooting is way off. hes not making good decisions on offense. AB on the other hand is making a strong impact. A great example of that was in the 4th quarter in Dallas when brooks came in for rafer. The offense ran smoothly, Brooks was finding the open man, breaking down the defense with his speed and penetration, and making some clutch shots.

Go with whats working,

START AB!