1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer on 610 now (10/01 9:30 am)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nero, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Nero

Nero Member

MV: Hi Rafer, quite an offseason for you, huh?

RA: Yeah, well, yes, but life goes on, trying to just get past all that.

MV: What do you contribute?

RA: I am a natural pg, I can run the team, yes I am streaky shooting, but I love to defend the ball, the coaches have not told me I am not the starting pg.

MV: Physical today? everything ok?

RA: I'm good, I'm good..

MV: You guys working out yet? Mike and SF3?

RA: Been working with MJ, SF3 has a new baby, so not working out as much.. working with Novak, Butler, Brooks, go way back with MJ

MV: How excited are you with the new system under Adelman? How will you fit in with the new guys and new philosophy?

RA: It'll be fun, but people underestimate VG's system, he wanted good shots, and good offense.. but it still all goes off Yao and TMac. same deal as before, Yao will draw a lot of defense, same with TMac, and both are willing passers.. can't ask for better in teammates, will make for lots of good shots

MV: Working with MJ and Brooks.. How does MJ and Brooks compare?

RA: Brooks is faster, going to be a good player in this league for a long time, can flat-out shoot, MJ is great.

That was all. Quick interview, only lasted about 5 minutes.

2. roswell raygun

Hey, the coaches haven't told me I'm not the starting point guard either. Maybe I've got a shot.

3. rocketsinsider

wow it seems MV was asking a lot of questions about the other point guards to rafer, rather than rafer himself, and i wonder if Rafer asked him not to ask any questions about his off court issues

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

SO Rafer has still big hopes about next season...we'll see

5. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

let him start for a minute and bench him. :) jus tkidding. i think he'll do great in Adelman's offense. He likes to move the ball...

6. Barkley

Barkley Member

Yes he would be good and very effective in up-tempo games. He probably won't start but...

7. zong

zong Member

Brook could be better than Rafer in lots of areas at the end of year, I really have a high hope on Brook.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it would be nice to see what he could do with other people actually running with him. Too often he was pushing the ball down court with no one keeping up.

im up in the air on the "starting" spot. Personally, i dont think starting him is that bad of an idea. That doesnt mean he will get 30+ minutes, but you at least start off controlled and you save some offensive punch on the bench ready to fill the void when yao and/or tmac sit.

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

right, Brooks has shown great potentials and talent, i got high hopes on him. He can be a substitute for tmac even, the guy can score and surely can pass to Yao.

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

11. Barkley

Barkley Member

And that what deep team means. He can start but that doesn't mean he will play 30+ minuteas a game (like last season) cause he's a startin' PG. He can play 10 min, cause we have another, we'll see if better options on PG

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We still have too many PGs. I think Adelman will take a good look at all of them and see who fit best. They will most likely trade one of them (except Brooks) before the deadline.

At this point, trading Rafer makes most sense simply because trading the other two (who have just been acquired) makes no sense. But after half of a season, it will be clear who is the odd man out.

14. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Actually, what i remember most about the JVG is him telling rafer to speed up the offense. Don't know if its just me or what but thats what i remember :confused:

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Brooks(fraft pick), Francis(here on the cheap), James(went and traded for him) will all be here. Skip will be moved if it makes sense if not I don't think he will be a problem.

16. zong

zong Member

To me, Brooks is a very tough guy both mentally and physically, we need this kind player in the tight games to score the points. We do not have this player in last year.

17. Seven

I actually caught the interview right before i had to get out of my car, and I'd say he's very confident that he has a big chance to start again. And I also found it funny that those who aren't guaranteed playing time other than Mike James are all working hard during the summer. What happened to our core? Shane, T-mac, Scola too cool to work out with the little guys :eek:

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

JVG did tell him to push the offense, but he can only push as fast as the rest of his teammates could move.

That's why they practiced quick sets in pre-season last year. To move the ball more quickly so that they were moving faster to get into the sets.

I know a lot of people have Rafer issues, but I still think he will contribute to the team.

19. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

We can also get rid of Snyder, Lucas and Head. That would create space for all.

Thing is, I think Rafer would do well in Adelman's system.

20. Seven

What i meant what I remember Jeff's frantic face, and his hands rapidly waving to rafer to go faster. I don't know if Rafer is going to contribute or not, but if If James' isn't gone he is...we didn't get Francis last minute so we could see if he can still contribute through training camp.