1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer needs to get benched:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Hey, don't bad mouth Moochie like that. :mad:

2. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

3. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Have you ever seen Moochie jack up shots like Rafer Alston does?

I guess NOT!!!

4. devin23

devin23 Member

rafer alston is the worst shooter in the nba... Sure Ryan Bowen may shoot worse, but at least he doesn't try to shoot it. Rafer jacks up shots cuz he's a selfish ass.

5. Pulp

Pulp Member

2-14FG and 4 TO from rafer tonight, hope he can shoot his way out of this slump -- in practice

6. skywater

skywater Member

Rafer Sucks...
    Again...

2-14 FG :mad:

got killed on defense side... :eek:

how can we go to the finals with such a ZERO Defense PG? :confused:

7. johnrox

johnrox Member

when the rox play denver, hope he doesn't some close to guarding ai

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Even if he is assigned to cover him, he still won't be close to guarding him.

DD

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm terrified to play Denver with Iverson.

Practically very team they play since they got him has been missing significant players. They played Boston without Pierce and Wally Z, the Hornets without everyone, Dallas without Dirk, Seattle without Allen and Lewis, and now play the Bucks tonight without Redd or Mo Williams.

10. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Agreed completely. I'm under the belief a lot of Rafer's shots are simply because that's how the offense is drawn up. He's assigned to take those shots. As it is, McGrady's the only Rocket who can create offense for himself anyway. So when Alston passes, it's got to be smart and on time, to spot-up shooters like Howard or Head because they're not gonna create anything off the dribble.

I like Lucas because he does penetrate more, but he has yet to grasp the notion of when to pass and when to shoot.

I'm sure people are aware that I've supported Rafer clearly in the past, but he's sucking dirt right now. But the fact remains that he's a better passer, defender, and runs the offense much better than any other PG on the roster, which is why he's going to continue to get big minutes.

It's JVG's responsibility, not Rafer's, to come up with something else to where Rafer doesn't have to shoot so much, or so that he's not put in the position to force offense. This comes back to Head being more aggressive and having him come off down-screens or so, or maybe have Novak get 12-15 minutes per game to attract attention on the floor. It's not coincidence that teams pay great defensive attention to Novak even when he's shooting just 28% from 3. Use that to your advantage. The Rockets' defensive schemes are based on help D anyway, since Alston, Head, Howard and Lucas are not great 1-on-1 defenders.

11. gaily

gaily Member

one more suck game for RA :eek: :eek: :eek:

12. drich

drich Member

I just don't see v span doing much worse than this. He would at least get to the free throw line. Bottom line rafer needs to take his ass to the bench hell he should go and tell JVG to bench his ass since coach won't do it him self.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Some people will go to any length to defend Rafer. Were Charlie Ward, Tyronne Lue, Bob Sura or even Mike James "forced" to shoot under JVG's offense? Answer me that one. Even tonight, when he no business putting up shots, Rafer still managed to get off 14 shots. The only blame JVG should get is leaving Rafer on the court so long or not chewing him out between games.

14. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

well, rafer sucks but he sucks in a funny way. Yall seen that rafer teardrop in the Minnie game which hit nothing but air? I literally rolled on the floor laughing in tears. rafer is cool, ya. Every team needs a clown, rafer is our lovable clown.

leave rafer alone, and support debra lafave!

15. morningstar

morningstar Member

Strongly agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

16. dream2franchise

JVG Disagrees...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/recap?gameId=2007010804

17. AggieRocketFan96

Having once been a Rafer fan, I simply cannot understand how anyone can support him anymore this season. It is extremely painful to watch him play now. He is simply the worst starter in the NBA. Opposing players just feast on him. I've never seen another Rocket ever kill so many rallies. Rafer will not be the answer for the Rockets as a starting PG if the team expects to get into the playoffs.

18. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

this is sad.

JVG=total r****d

Alston is JVG's son or cousine or whatever. this is not normal.. :rolleyes:

but we won, and Rafer continued his hot streak of bricks. he reached 20 (or was it 23? I dont remember) :D

19. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

JVG stuck with Charlie Ward in NYC. Everytime I would watch the Knicks in that era, Charlie would miss layups.

I believe JVG believes Rafer is a competitor, team guy, and coachable. Those guys usually improve over time with some guidance.

20. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

It's because he's at the practices unlike the Rafer bashers. He's ice cold right now, can't hit a shot. However, he did do a good job setting the offense in the second half. THEY HAVE NOBODY BETTER! Lucas was terrified tonight. He had 4 or 5 open looks and he wouldn't even look at the basket. Believe it or not that's worse then Rafer shoting and missing. I won't even touch on VSpan. I don't know why people are still holding out hope but there is none. He's terrible. Don't you think if JL or VSpan (who is 100 times worse then Alston) they would get a shot). JL is getting his, JVG won't even think about putting VSpan on the court. If you're thinking TMac at point, think again. It puts too much pressure on him and tires him out.