1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer needs to get benched:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

With good shots like those, Rafer doesn't need to take bad shots. :)

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Say it with me.

V-Span...V-Span....Billy...billy...billy !!!

:D

DD

3. haven

haven Member

I kind of understand why Rafer has a slow hook. Lucas, Head, and V-span are all problematic at the 1 as well. And JVG loves experience. And Rafer, albeit rarely, does have good games.

But the truly bizarre, inexplicable thing today was this: the team made a great run w/Rafer, who was giving us nothing, on the bench. I can't even conceive of a rationale to reinsert him into the game. He was a complete liability all game.

Sometimes, I get the feeling JVG regards offense as a necessary evil.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Man, I just got through watching the game (I'd DVRed it), and when Alston was put back in before the OT, replacing Lucas, I just yelled NOOOO!!! at the TV. Sure enough, he played as poorly as any sane person would have expected after watching him after the early minutes. 4 for 17? It seemed more like 4 for 20. Rafer is a good backup point, AND THAT'S ALL HE IS.

It's enough to drive one round the bend. And I agree completely that he'll have a good game, eventually, and his defenders will be thumpin' their chests, saying, "See?? Rafer is a distributing guard who can hit from downtown. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's improved his defense A LOT. His "haters" are just having emotional reactions, and don't understand this arcane stat system I'll show you that PROVES he's perfect for the Rocks."

I'd make some stupid joke about having a bridge to sell them, but it just isn't funny. It's pretty damned depressing.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

As I have said before other teams know that Rafer can not shoot and design their defenses around making him a shooter.....and for the life of me I can not understand how JVG would allow his teams wins and loses be defined by it's weakest link.

Why not try Head as a starter, why not try V-SPan at his natural position? What is the danger, that these guys excel and people go...."JVG, why did you wait so long?"

I think JVG is gone after this year anyway....Didn't Les ask him to be more positive? And he actually mocks that on occasion, that is just stupid on his part.

DD

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

ole ole ole :p

7. haven

haven Member

Because what Rafer needed to do moist today was hit 3's. And...ermm...V-Span is even worse than Rafer at that.

8. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

"He just takes some open shots and he has to take it."

If the shooting selection is not bad, then it confirms he IS absolutely a very bad shooter not a streaky one. Shooting bad doesnt mean you are a worthless player but continue shooting it 17 times a game is inexcusable. Go check the stats of Eric Snow.

"He can bring the ball over the half court and he is the best PG on the team."

So that's all you need to be the starting PG in a NBA team? Wow,I dont know it's that easy. And if that's the only good thing you can say about Rafer, I doubt JL3 or Billy could do anything worse than him. We can still think it's only a long shooting slump but as a coach, you need to find someone take his role rather than placing him at the clutch time when we need someone can shoot the ball better than him.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dead wrong. The Rockets have never been afraid to make moves and this year will be no different. It is VERY obvious that Rafer will NOT be our pg for the season. Put it in the bank. This thought actually makes me handle the situation better because I know the Rockets will do something.

Someone should do a poll: How many weeks before we acquire a new PG?

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

trading rafer would be a redundant move, ie still no pg depth.

11. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

What I don't get is Daryl Morey?

I wonder high he statistically ranks Alston against the 29 other PGs int he league.

12. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Not all PG get their score on making a high 3pt%.

Those are the starting PG of other NBA teams whose career 3pt% is worse than Rafer:

Jason Kidd 33.1% Tony Parker 31.9% Chris Paul 27.2%

Andre Miller 21.8% TJ Ford 32.9% Luke Ridnour 34.7%

Baron Davis 32.6% Allen Iverson 30.9% Mo Willaims 34.3%

Stephon Marbury 32.0% Jamaal Tinsley 31.0% Jarrett Jack 27.7%

Shaun Livingston 21.7% Devin Harris 31.6% Eric Snow 21.1%

So we should be thrilled of having Rafer as our starting PG after all.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I didn't say Rafer would be traded. We have expiring contracts and trade exceptions. That said, I'm not against trading him for someone better if some deal offers that.

We will have a new PG before the trade deadline. Rafer has played his way out of a starters position on the Rockets.

14. anitasri

anitasri Member

Au contraire- Rafer will stay. Not because I dont agree with your logic- but a new PG has to fit the JVG system- that is not as easy mid-season. I think they will more likely go for more shooting with size - and wing it on the PG front. JVG is a very loyal guy- I dont see Juwan or Rafer in another Uniform this year- although I would pray I am wrong!

15. edwardlo

edwardlo Member

I would take anyone you mentioned over Rafer. Please.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

No doubt about it, but you don't have to settle for the 3, you can drive and dish...

Someone needs to remind Rafer that dishing is ok too.

DD

17. haven

haven Member

I actually like V-span, but right now - I think I'd prefer Steve Kerr to either. Where can we find the next Steve Kerr?

18. maw7079

maw7079 Member

With Yao and Tracy, we should be about championships and excellence not settling for mediocrity. Would a coach with the pedigree of Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Greg Poppavich or Jerry Sloan have left Rafer in the game, just to see him shoot you out of it... NO!!!! Im tired of all of our fans wanting to settle for a freakin above average team. I WANT A CHAMPION!!!! The parts are here (maybe a PG)... Just dont play Rafer.

19. maw7079

maw7079 Member

I disagree. Rafer is not streaky... He is consistently bad. His good games are very few and far between.

20. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Nobody.... and I mean NOBODY is worse than Rafer Alston.