1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rafer needs to get benched:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Just go to: http://www.nba.com/statistics/

Choose FG% then check the qualified box, press "GO"

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kim, based on your comments, Rafer needs to be benched. Any discussion of whether he is an average PG is settled. He is another Rybo. Being able to bring the ball up the floor isn't good enough. Bench him and rotate Luther and JL3 at PG. Give Rafer a few minutes to see if he can pull it together.

Gotta run. Back in 4 hours.

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

in the past i would says calling rafer, rybo is a stretch but im starting to believe it

4. ericmark

ericmark Member

:D :D :D .
    Clutch, I admire your consistency on our Rafer.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

me and few others, including Clutch referred to this problem all along

Rafer is not someone who will help this team

we have 3 point shooters

we have two big centers

we have few excellent forwards who can hit the shot

but, what we are missing, and what makes someone championship contender is a PG who dishes first, has a good body, and runs to the basket relentlessly, and yes hits his few shots he takes....and that my friends ain't no Raffard Jackson aka Skippy till I miss 15 shots per game!

6. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

guys, it's plain and easy:

Rafer needs to be benched

Rafer needs to get traded

Rafer needs to go to the NBDL

JVG needs to get fired for getting Rafer in the 1st place and not doing any of the above until now

Span needs to get some PT, not because he is good, but because we have no freakin choice

Novak needs to get benched or traded because he cant shoot

Head needs to stop turning it over or get traded

Yao needs to get healthy

Mac needs to dominate every game

JL3 needs to get traded or back to the Dleague for wasting so much time and taking the air out of the ball

Bonzi needs to either come back or get traded

I need to chill out a little bit and stop going crazy after terrible losses

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Rafer is making it difficult to continue my half-hearted defense of him.

The only thing I can possibly say to defend him is that Mike James ain't doing crap either.

8. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to attack other posters. You told LFE171 to learn something about basketball, but what part of his post shows that he doesnt? Rafer had a terrible night shooting. He never had a good shooting season. There are occasional games where he does "light it up", but its rare, and its f-ing great when he's on. Rafer is an adaquate pg, and he keeps the offense going, and he does a good job protecting the ball. WE DON'T NEED A PG, BUT IF A BETTER ONE COMES ALONG, BY ALL MEANS, ACQUIRE HIM.

His career fg% is 38.5%, but his fg% has NOT been in the 30's since 2000 (02-03 season he shot 41.5%, and 41.4% in 04-05)
    The 1999 season, rafer shot 28% from the field, that is correct. But he only played 27 games, and avg. 17 mpg. So the numbers are skewed. One bad game could have caused his fg% to be that low.

All I am saying is this. Yall can complain all yall want about Skip. It doesn't change the fact that he is the best pg on our team, and is the only option we have there. Head is not a pg, and VSpan is not an upgrade. Get it through ur heads, Rafer is our pg for this season, so deal with it.

9. ericmark

ericmark Member

Thanks, Clutch, for your correction. :eek:

10. anitasri

anitasri Member

Luther is a lousy ball handler. Period. And Jl3 is NOT a PG PERIOD.

11. SunsRocketsfan

rafer is the worst shooting point guard in the league!! :mad: id be fine with him if he realizes he cant shoot worth crap and stop shooting!!!! if he made just one more basket we would of won the game today and it never would of went to overtime. just one freaken basket!!
    ahh rafer suxs and i hope he gets traded before the deadline

12. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Rafer is very streaky. That's the problem.

13. mcm1150

mcm1150 Member

I believe that Rafer's shooting problems are all mechanical.

When shooting wide open shots, mechanics plays the biggest factor. How did Rafer shot so well at the beginning of the season, and then suck so bad now? He must be doing something in his shot different. Where is his balance, his release point, his feet?

One does not shot half-way decent and then completely suck. Rafer needs to watch video or do something because its got to be mechanical.

Rafer is not a naturally good shooter, so he has to focus on his mechanics more to maximize his success. But he can be a servicable shooter.

14. Nice Rollin

he was shooting well at the beginning of the season??? when was this?

15. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Seriously...Did JVG tell him to shoot even when he's shooting like crap?

16. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

You sure put that straight. :rolleyes: Rafer's FG% has not been in the 30's since 2000. It's only been in the 30's since 2005. NOT

It's just a bad game and it's not a career problem.

#236 Mordo, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  17. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

I have added it to my signature, so people can just click on it.

18. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Yes, When you watch Rafer shoot, he has this motion where he brings the ball down to his waist, and then he brings it up and shoots in one motion.

This shot is almost guaranteed to be streaky. In addition, Rafer needs to step into his shot on most occasions to build momentum to fire.
    This makes for a really slow shot, one that ends up making uncontested 3's contested.

Rafer's slow arm motion, coupled with his step-in creates a shot that is often off balance. He has to perfect the timing between the arms and the legs so that power comes from the legs at the exact right time. Also he needs to make sure that his knees bend at the same time, which is all very hard to achieve when defenses are running at you.

When you see good shooters shoot, they rarely incorporate a long motion into their shot, and almost never allow the ball to drop to their waist before firing.
    This is because it is very hard to shoot under pressure with a slow motion, and shooters realize that they need to set up their balance first and foremost so they shoot from their legs.

His shot is not surprising, in that it would come naturally that a player who has had to pull up from midrange after dribbling from And-1 would develop a shot that begins from a low release point. Problem is, if he did that, he would immediately be pulled from the court because we have far better options than this.

This is where a strong drive to the basket gained from streetball could help, however, he has very little hang-time. When he drives to the basket he would be better served taking it strong to the basket, but he always ends up floating it up because I think he realizes that he doesn't have the tools to finish.

The final way for him to contribute would be on the defensive end, and while I will give him credit for trying, sometimes your best is still not enough. Sometimes he moves his feet, and sometimes you still see him taking plays off.

Rafer is a player who is simply not a good fit for our system. He is not built to take spot up threes, can not drive to the basket well, and is a mediocre defender. He does take care of the ball and set up the offense, but when he impersonates Ryan Bowen on offense, negates the positives he brings.

19. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Streaky? I would say he's pretty consistent....at bricking! :mad:

20. Nice Rollin